Making power on a 2.0S

Herbalthief

Im currently working on my Manta 400 replica wich came with the 2.0S CIH.

I already have some Solex double barrel 40's that i would use on this block.

What would be the easiest or cheapest way to make + 160bhp  on that block, with those carbs?

I heared some people put 2.4 rotating assembly in and clear the crankshaft rotation, with I suppose a 2.4 head on it?

Glad to hear from your experience guys.

• Like 1

Welcome Mathew.

sadly 2.4 cranks/blocks/parts  are like Unicorns now, very hard to come by. Those 40s are a little on the small side too. 45s are where you need to be when considering the choke size within the carbs.

But a well built 2.2 (2.3 oversized ) on 45s will get close to 160 at flywheel.

a good thread with some info can be found

otherwise if budget will allow there are a couple of companies out there that still supply race built engines, like Risse https://risse-motorsport.de

• Like 1

Hello Mathew. I would go for a 2.4. Believe the 2.4 is more common in Europe, as it was fitted to Carltons(Omegas)  and Fronteras. Pretty sure our Herman can confirm this.....

Opel Omega A

Or if you are very rich, one of these!!!

Photos of Opel Manta 2.4 400. Photo tuning-opel-manta-24-400-02 ...

• Like 1

Hi Mathew, also welcome on this forum,

zo, ge zijt van België, waar ergens? Ik ben van Beveren, net naast Antwerpen. Sorry guys, he is also Flemish😄. So we will keep this conversation in English. As Jess wrote the "40's" are too small for that engine. Basic tuning on all engines is on the hard-ware bigger valves, higher compression, porting the head and another camshaft. Together with another exhaust system. Than you'v got the feul system: Weber DCOE are fine, or throttle boddies even better but you need some experience on electronical injections.

But one thing is important: I work on cars since I was 14. Learned that the Belgian MOT (Keuring) will never give you there blessing if you want to take that car on public roads. Even when it is an oldtimer, just want you to know this before you spend a lot of money on your project.

What GTEPETE wrote is a fact, and that engine looks the same as a 2.0...

Grts, Herman

• Like 2

20 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Mathew, also welcome on this forum,

zo, ge zijt van België, waar ergens? Ik ben van Beveren, net naast Antwerpen. Sorry guys, he is also Flemish😄. So we will keep this conversation in English. As Jess wrote the "40's" are too small for that engine. Basic tuning on all engines is on the hard-ware bigger valves, higher compression, porting the head and another camshaft. Together with another exhaust system. Than you'v got the feul system: Weber DCOE are fine, or throttle boddies even better but you need some experience on electronical injections.

But one thing is important: I work on cars since I was 14. Learned that the Belgian MOT (Keuring) will never give you there blessing if you want to take that car on public roads. Even when it is an oldtimer, just want you to know this before you spend a lot of money on your project.

What GTEPETE wrote is a fact, and that engine looks the same as a 2.0...

Grts, Herman

Thanks Herman, im from Sint-Laureins, between Gent and Brugge on the dutch border. Thanks for all the replies already guys, if i understand correctly it would be better to search a 2.4 block, porting, camshaft, valves and a full exhaust together with a set of 45 on it?  Im far more familiar with electronical injection then I'm with carbs but I think carbs fit such a car nicer and it gives me the chance to learn more about them.

As for the MOT, I could keep my 2L block stock and swap it every 2 years, but as you guys mentionted it might not be necesary as the 2.4 and the 2.0 look the same.

Sadly enough I dont have a deep enough pocket to afford a 16V head of Cosworth, but what I might try is shortening a 24V 6 Cylinder head If i can get my hands on a cheap one, welding it and modify everything that should be done with it.

Greets, Mathew

• Like 2

Are you on Facebook Matthew? There is a great group that do the 16v mods from the 24v head. A couple of great engineers on the group too, that make some really cool additions like cnc cam covers etc 😎 

I just hope they never cast an Alu block or I will be all in 😂

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111393065892285/

• Like 1

Nice to have someone of the neighbourhood on this forum! If you want to cut off a 24V head make sure you make your homework. By the way I drive both engines and for use in traffic the old cast iron lump eight valve is the better choice. You can always try my car with the 2.4...

Hey Jess, thanks for the link

Edited by H-400
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Are you on Facebook Matthew? There is a great group that do the 16v mods from the 24v head. A couple of great engineers on the group too, that make some really cool additions like cnc cam covers etc 😎 

I just hope they never cast an Alu block or I will be all in 😂

https://www.facebook.com/groups/111393065892285/

oh  thats great, thanks!

• Thanks 1

It would me more like a fun weekend driver and maybe when its at 'that point' going to a few opel meetings. Yeah the 16V is what we call 'toekomstmuziek' ( , I got alot to do before its at the point of making big power. Im currently in the process of redoing my driving license since corona was a reall heartbreaker but i appreciate your offer Herman!

• Like 1

Hi Mathew,

Another alternative to look for is the 2.2 CIH from the Carlton (was it Omega for you guys!!) big improvement in torque and shares a similar head to the 2.4. They were/are rare in the uk but i'm sure they were more plentiful in Europe and fitted to more vehicles.

I built one on a budget so it ran a 2.0 head with 46/41 valves, std pistons but pocketed, 244 cam, 48s, std distributor and a lightened and balanced bottom end and was putting out just shy of 180bhp but had loads of low down grunt.

HTH

Chris 

• Like 2

Hey Mathew

You will get lots of opinions on here for the old CIH, for my money i would bore out the 2.0L as big as you can with some decent pistons and then a nice big valve head and a set of twin 45's, decent cam and balanced flywheel.

You will get a nice bit of power, all the parts will be nice and cheap and you wont have the hassle of some of the parts that you need to source/change for the 2.4. 

Yes they do look the same but some of the small differences mean that things like pistons, thermostat housing etc.. can end up being a little expensive on the 2.4. Im not sure what Herman thinks?

Don't get me wrong, the 2.4 engine or 2.2 have some nice torque as Lamchop says, but i have owned and drive some nicely built 2.0L and they dont have the same low down torque but they do pull nicely mid range and rev much higher.

You should be looking at 160bhp no problem on a nicely tuned 2.0L

Andy

• Like 1