Upper steering column bearing

moodoo

cant comment on an a series im afraid. i assumed yours was a b. if its the same design lower bearing then i would say yes it definately needs a spring otherwise the bearing will have side play( much the same as the top one would have) but if its just a nylon bush then no.

• Thanks 1

On 06/05/2021 at 20:50, moodoo said:

Thanks for the tips, mine is an A series, is it the same procedure I wonder?A series doesn’t have a spring above the UJ, at least mine doesn’t!

Hey Fin

Unfortunately no luck on the UJ. Im working on clearing out all the old A series stuff i dont need now so if i do come across it in my search i will let you know and on the spring, i never had one on my A or have seem one on an A.

looking at the picture i would agree. it looks like a different design to the b series. just a bush by the looks of it hence no spring required because it isnt a ball bearing.

the bottom and top bearings on a b are a style of angular/ thrust bearing and therefore need a spring to maintain contact between the balls and the outer race.without which you would get some side play.

regarding the u/j i dont have a spare one personally but il have a look on ebay and if i see one il let you know. is it the same as a b in terms of shaft dimentions ?

Thanks for the offer. I bought one off TJM, he lists them only for the B-series, but on the Dr Manta site he lists the same part number for A and B series.

I haven't got it fitted yet, but it looks dimensionally OK for the A-series. I'll update if and when I get it fitted, just for the next guy who comes across the thread.

1 hour ago, moodoo said:

Thanks for the offer. I bought one off TJM, he lists them only for the B-series, but on the Dr Manta site he lists the same part number for A and B series.

I haven't got it fitted yet, but it looks dimensionally OK for the A-series. I'll update if and when I get it fitted, just for the next guy who comes across the thread.

Fin, what lower bearing do you have in yours? i thought it was the newer ball bearing one? Just make sure that is in there tight as they can move apart and add a bit of play, unlike the old felt one that just wore and add the play 🙂

Andy 

Hi Andy, thanks. I actually left the original lower bearing in. It was ok, and I didn’t want to start introducing potentially another issue before I found what was causing the knocking noise!

On 11/05/2021 at 13:34, moodoo said:

Hi Andy, thanks. I actually left the original lower bearing in. It was ok, and I didn’t want to start introducing potentially another issue before I found what was causing the knocking noise!

Hey Fin

Always good to try and narrow down things on the old A series when looking to resolve issues 🙂 spent many a time looking in the wrong place for problems 🙂

...and sorted! The 'B series' one I bought from TJM fitted fine. I had to take the rack off to get the old one out, it was pretty tight on the shafts.

Getting the new one on was a bit of a struggle initially, because of the tight fit on the shafts. In the end, I used a spare steering shaft I had, and trial fitted to both sides of the UJ on the bench. That made sure it was open just the right amount to make it easier to fit into the car. 

All tightened up...and no more rattling! Man, was I a happy bunny...funny how a small thing can spoil your enjoyment of something, the rattle was really getting on my nerves. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Fin

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moodoo said:

...and sorted! The 'B series' one I bought from TJM fitted fine. I had to take the rack off to get the old one out, it was pretty tight on the shafts.

Getting the new one on was a bit of a struggle initially, because of the tight fit on the shafts. In the end, I used a spare steering shaft I had, and trial fitted to both sides of the UJ on the bench. That made sure it was open just the right amount to make it easier to fit into the car. 

All tightened up...and no more rattling! Man, was I a happy bunny...funny how a small thing can spoil your enjoyment of something, the rattle was really getting on my nerves. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Fin

Nice work Fin 🙂

Good bit of detective work from the Opel community to track down all the things it could be!!

You would hate mine, everything squeaks and rattles at the moment, but luckily the exhaust is so loud it drowns most of it out 🙂

• Haha 1