Headlights for MOT ! :)

®evo03

Manta b, 78 square headlights! Can't get them on, only sidelights, any suggestions, checked fuses ok, checked bulbs ok, checked earths all good. 

Just about to change main light switch, and maybe try different bulbs,

Did i miss something? 

MOT in a few days. Panic! 

Yeh, thats exactly what im getting, think ive a broken wire behind switch, i will carefully remove the dash tomorrow and investigate, when i move the switch from sides to main beam, theres a slight flicker of the side bulbs, getting full beam on the flash stalk holding flash. 

Weird that things just stop, they where ok two weeks ago, and don't have much bother with the car. 

There is a relay bolted to inner wing up by the washer bottle, maybe its lights related? 

Will test for power tomorrow, and check wiring, Thanks CIH. 

Broken earth wire sourched at back of switch, hard to see with dash clocks in place, easy fix, i hope!  Glad i seen it, just one of those things could have let go anytime.  Thought id update the thread as so many ask for help with an issue, and theres no happy or horrible ending.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Broken earth wire sourched at back of switch, hard to see with dash clocks in place, easy fix, i hope!  Glad i seen it, just one of those things could have let go anytime.  Thought id update the thread as so many ask for help with an issue, and theres no happy or horrible ending.

👍 glad you found it and great point to reference the solutions. Often people search the forums for an issue for the thread to have no conclusion 

• Like 1

cant see a earth wire behind the switch affecting them and to be honest im not sure there is any earths behind the light switch as standard  anyway but if you have one ( brown wire) mend it anyway and see what happens.

to eliminate the light switch you could just bridge the pins on the socket with the switch unplugged. haynes book will give terminal or wire colours . theyre all live feeds anyway so you cant blow anything.

No it was a brown single wire so took it for granted it was the earth, as soon as id touched it the headlights came on, removed spade from plug it had that blue green copper corrosion, cleaned soldered, and sorted, and fixed, all light perfect. 

Then had a fray on accelerator cable, (b with carb) revs wouldnt drop below 2k revs, had one luckily from my project, got that sorted, will stick up a wanted add, shame as was a nice cable too, nice wee fittings! 

Then test drive, sticking brakes, slightly binding after a mile and some left foot braking, got it free but disc was red raw! Quickly cooled it, high speed no braking, then a few high speed reversing antics, all this in the dark, country roads. Disk was cooler, a few brake jabs, pedal feels really good, will take it for another test drive tomorrow, and inspect it, thinking it was surface rust on disks, as they are clean now. Going to check pads for glaze, and disks, but all feels good and rolling free. Hopefully thats it, weird thing is i never have issues, (very rarely) they say things happen in 3's, headlights, cable, and brake discs, that should be it then! 

excellent work. who knows what that earth was but if they  now work whos complaining. 

as far as i knew the only earth for the headlights was on the inner wings by each respective headlight but you never know what people have changed in the past !

with regard to the brakes if its got the dreaded delco sliding calipers theyre known to seize regularly .easy enough to check. pads out caliper should move in and out ( some degree of resistance expected)

headlights perfect now, no its all standard wiring generally in original condition, nothing where is shouldnt. 

Calipers are original b calipers (twin piston) really good condition, again think it was more a disc issue. TNKS! 

Accelerator cable made a difference, got a new original ordered. 

Think thats all for now! Hopefully!