2.2i compression test.

Sutty2006

Rough way to figure it.
14.7psi x CR, think it’s about 9:1 on the 2,2 , so 14.7 x 9 = 132.3Psi  So 150 is good, 125 is a tiny bit low, but serviceable.

if it’s 10:1 the adjust accordingly.

Edited by Jessopia74
  • Like 1

it also depends on how accurate your tester is.or even what make it is too.

i have used the same tester ( a gunsons one) since the 80's so can use it as a fair comparison over the years.between things it has tested.

probably of no use realy but all good 2.0S engines tested around 180 psi per cyl and were 165-170 if the mileage was high ( over say 90000) engines with inlet valve seal leakage tested around 190-195 due to the carbon build up.

i have 2 cars with the 2.2 in.(standard spec) one that has done 70000 measures 225 per cyl and the other that has done 150000 reads 215 psi.

as far as i know the 2.2 and 2.0E are cr9.4:1

• Like 2

It’s a pretty decent snap on tester. I bought it years ago on offer but don’t work on petrols 🤣 I work on Diesel engines. I’ve done about 5 engines with it now. 

fresh battery and figures much better 

image.jpg

11 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Nothing jumping out there mate. If you had one at 90psi on your gauge then it would be troubling. Can get cheap Bluetooth bore scopes now if you want to check wear/lip

I just did it out of curiosity. Bought a new project that’s not run for 14 years. 

17A4A864-BA6E-48CE-8066-F19907BB7655.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trooker said:

Not many of those left. Does it need much?

Needs recommissioning. Fuel pipes are all shot. Then all fluids changing. Might need master cylinder refurbishing. Haven’t had much time to look at it but it seams pretty solid right now. Front strut tops are a  little crusty. 

• Like 1

if yours is a snap on then it most certainly is more accurate than mine.but mine is ok for comparison purposes.

nice carlton. i have one the same in red. owned it since 94. the strut tops were a common thing even back in the day. when i got mine they were ok.just starting around the welds but no holes and much more important is the brace section underneath. thats the strength .i cut most of the top area away, protected the rest and then replaced the inner wing top with 1.5mm galv. 

the area hasnt needed touching since and is still perfect.

great cars when right, not quite omega comfort but close !

• Like 1

I’ve had an omega. 2002 2.6 saloon. Nice car but gave me horrendous back pain. Don’t know what it is about Vauxhalls, but every model apart from Carltons give me chronic back pain. Mantas not so much but do make my back stiff on long journeys. The worst, a 54 plate Astra sport held the record. 1.5 miles before it brought me to tears. Even the 1992 senator I had hurt. But Carltons? No. I can and have driven thousands of miles over a couple of days in them (600 miles in one day once) and could keep on going. Don’t know why!!!!