Slow burn Sportshatch

Metalbasher

Thought it time to add my work in progress to the list of fine projects here. This is my Cavalier Sportshatch GOJ 714W, bought in 1987 when I was 19 and had it ever since. The images here, when it was running, are from good old printed photos, that’s how far back I’m going.

In 1992 I had a brainwave to strip her down to the shell to allow weld and thorough clean-up, great plan until kids came along and there the project stalled, I guess a familiar story.

A few static years, with bits in boxes doing more miles moving from storage to storage than when they were on the car, the project finally got underway again with the weld and paint and more recently the slow reassembly. This year has seen more progress than the last 30 years combined and the bug has bit, hence me joining the Club a couple of months back.

The car was of course modified back in the day as a result of my youth and apprenticeship pay and that’s how I’m building it up again. In brief, the exterior is pretty much stock except for the lowering kit including Bilsteins and poly bushes, engine is a Peter Maiden 2.0 lightened & balanced unit with gas flowed head and hotter cam. Getrag 5 speed ‘box and finally twin 45 Dellorto downdraught carbs, just to scare the neighbours. I’ve added now a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold from Ashley Exhausts.

I’m essentially at the stage of having most major mechanical parts refurbed and ready to fit, so I hope to be able to fire up the engine by next Spring. Interior is good still in storage but the original headlining is ruined from being outside for a while, so eyes on that next year.

Now, I bought the car pretty much as I met the missus, so it has a major emotional attachment and of course this oils the purse hinges too when I’m after yet another spare part.

So, 35 years on I’m getting ever closer to getting this done and joining like-minded others in the Club, I’ll keep you posted.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 13

Its a great day when you finally get to drive it after all those years 🙂 and those carbs will sound great!!

My A series was a similar process to you but i thought my 20 years was a long build, but you beat me there!

Lockdown helped me to get it finished and its been on the road for about a year and a half and i drive it any chance i get when the weather is good.

Now your at this stage you just need to keep the momentum going and lets hope its a mild winter so you can keep on going with the rebuild!

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Paul, nice Cav you'v got. They are pretty rare on this side of the channel. My twinbrother had a Cavalier but the saloon model. The one with the 1.3 engine with that SU lookalike (?) carb. Took one lightyear from 0-60...

As Andy wrote above, you'll enjoy the first rides with the Cav after all those years. Got also a project that will take years, not always motivated to work on that.  About your Cav: love the wrinkle paint on the rocker-cover. Still a job I'v got to do on my GSI,

Grts from Belgium

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Long time for an update and typically my plan is lightyears from reality, but some progress from me. Engine bay all but complete pending electronic ignition system, but just loaded her onto transport for some minor underbody and fittings, after which the final assembly should fly. Believe it or not this is the first time out my garage for around 20 years (the car, not me)

• Like 8

• 8 months later...

Ok, longer than I’d planned but all weld and paintwork complete, she’s coming home next week. Bigger jobs were the rear end of the inner roof which was corroded badly, rear wheel arches bursting as rust developed and local repair to sills. Paint of the rear end and sides with a good mopping all over and ready to start building back up.

• Like 7