Doing one job leads to many.

brockie1986

After waiting 3 years, I finally had surgery on my back. Last Oct. Recovering is slow, but I decided to give the manta some love. Unfortunately the manta got parked up in the garage. As being able to bend or  move was extremely difficult.

First job was to change the fuel pipes as the have become brittle.

Fesh oil and filters were next. 

After passing the mot I moved the car to a bigger unit.

First job was to degrease the under side and have a good poke around. I you would expect from a old bus, a few bits needing seeing to.

So instead of messing about, I set to and removed both wings, bumper lights and skirts.

Jacked the front end up.  Saves me bending over, and allowing easier access to under neath.

First job was to remove as much under seal as possible. As it was hiding a few nasties. I'm trying to do one piece of the car at a time.

So front drivers side was chosen to start with.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by brockie1986
  • Like 2

Few bits cut out. Ready for welding.

I decided once I removed all to old rubber underseal , and cleaning it up best I could.

I would use I heat gun to get rid of any moisture. Then hydrate 80 with two coats.

then two coats of zinc rich primer. 
I would leave this for 3 to four days then go over with a hard satin black.

iv been undecided as to what I’m going to finish with.

leaning towards Bilt Hamber clear underbody protection. As it’s going to be easier in the future, to keep an eye on what’s going on.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Didn’t look to bad around the washer bottle but one removing the old seam sealer you guessed it.

so out with the grinder

Might be a bit all over the place as I have never done one of theses threads.  I will add to where I’m up to.

three bits welded in.

left a hole in the top piece so I can fill the cavity  with some protection.  

Tied up around the front valance.

with the same process as the inner wing

Whacked seam sealer on after the primer. Then finished with satin black.

then I painted the a pillar.  To finish the drivers side.

• Like 4

Seeing as I’m removing more and more from the car, and needing to tidy up around the welding near the washer bottle.

I decided to paint the top side of the inner wing as it was looking very tired.

so rubbed it back primed and painted. Also repainted the servo and radiator top whilst I’m on with it.

• Like 5

This weekend I started on the passenger side. It’s much of the same condition wise.  
used the knot wheel on most of the under seal. Then started on cutting back the rust.  
also removed the jacking point as it totally knackered.

Did a bit of cutting out.

as there was rust under the old seam sealer on the corner of the battery tray.

Around 8 years ago I rubbed back and painted the battery Trey where the battery had rubbed and started to scab.  Using Bilt Hamber zinc primer and it’s still solid now.  So hoping to get away with minimal removal but will see. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Another day on the old bus.

A mate of mine came to help who's faster and more skilled with glueing metal. Made a nice change from doing all on my own.

Manged to get to passenger side inner wing welded up four places un total. A piller waa in good condition  finished of with two coats of hydrate 80.

Hopefully get primer on this week 

can never keep to doing one job at a time. Allover the place.

Got the servo and master cylinder bolted back in. Gave them both a rub down and some paint to freshen them up.

Also used shults to stop to washer bottle rubbing the paint of. Adding a bit of protection. 

Mite look a bit of a bollox but will be rite for now.

Edited by brockie1986
  • Like 5

Inner wing finished of this week.

Zinc primer on Tuesday 

Left  Thursday. Found in the past the electrox  needs a while  to go of, as solvents in the top coat will mess it up. 

Added seam sealer. Then satin black to finish. 

Then last night got the apiller painted. 

Bit of surface rust under the nose cone. Had two passes with deox gel.

Hopefully get that painted this week. Then will carry on with  the top side of the inner wing rubbed a lot back so hoping to paint ny end of next week all going well.

Edited by brockie1986
  • Like 6