GT/E Resto

TrevorH

I have got my restoration underway now

I started with this

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

And after stripping the car and getting it dipped it was not as bad as I thought it might be  !  But will still require a bit ! of welding before ecoating . I have been looking to see what panels can be bought , there seem to be a few sources for them does anyone have recommendations ?

I guess I need , sills ( there seem to be some with the lower part of the rear quarter panels which would be useful ) , drivers door skin ( at least ), repair panels if they are available for the front , and   maybe  the front part of the chassis rails

A few pictures below for anyone who is interested

Trevor

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Issues seem to be one of the chassis Rails

Sills

Above the lights

Drivers Door

Passenger Floor

• Like 6

Hi Trevor, welcome. Looks like your doing a thorough job there.

Tim at TJ Motorsport has a lot of repair panels in the UK - tjmotorsport.co.uk

Ebay is also a good source, where you can get some in the  UK and some from Germany, like floor panels etc. I would shop around as prices vary considerably.

The club are also getting a few panels remade, battery tray is available in the shop. Check some of the threads for roof panels etc

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The welding will start this month , but ee have managed to get the rear axle and engine finished , just waiting for some upper arm bushes to complete the front subframe

• Like 6

Great project, is there any protection between dipping and e coating. 

All panels needed shown are available. 

Make a list, and post it up. 

As time moves on, so do parts suppliers. It's hard to keep track sometimes. 

Club really needs a updated, current parts supplier thread, and members discount would work well. 

I organised discount with biggred, a brake parts supplier, which most members probably don't know about, things like this should be listed, publicised. 

Great project, plenty on here will offer help, parts, and info, and any parts info. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Club really needs a updated, current parts supplier thread, and members discount would work well. 

I organised discount with biggred, a brake parts supplier, which most members probably don't know about, things like this should be listed, publicised. 

Great project, plenty on here will offer help, parts, and info, and any parts info. 

The parts list could be cross referenced with alternative parts that fit and work. Modern alternatives with ongoing availability.

and as for any repair panels that arnt available try watching a youtube channel called " yorkshire car restoration" those guys know their stuff and make 99% of all their repair panels .makes it look super easy ( they have obviously more gear than the average diy'er ) so that certainly helps but beware. their videos are very addictive ! 

On 10/12/2023 at 05:49, ®evo03 said:

When I have done this before on other cars the process I have followed is dip, weld , ecoat ( they actually dip the car again as part of this process ) then paint so I have not done anything between the initial dipping and welding when I have not ecoated I applied weld through primer immediately the car came back from dipping 

I am happy to pull a list together , I guess what is also interesting is the speed  of dispatch , and customs issues post Brexit  I have been surprised at the availability issues on the superpro bushes

13 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

and as for any repair panels that arnt available try watching a youtube channel called " yorkshire car restoration" those guys know their stuff and make 99% of all their repair panels .makes it look super easy ( they have obviously more gear than the average diy'er ) so that certainly helps but beware. their videos are very addictive ! 

Just had a quick look ( 2 hours !  ) at the Yorkshire car restoration channel  as you say addictive ! .. we can do a bit of fabrication but not to that standard so I think I have managed to get most panels I need ! Fingers crossed 

Making panels is a good 80% of the time. 

I find cereal boxes good, easy to cut, fold, crease, and form, for making templates.

If you weld, buy new sheet metal. Clean it, solvent cleaner, then sand with a sanding block. Lay two pieces flat and weld. Practice. Practice makes perfect 

I stamped a boot floor out using the old floor as a template. Not a manta. But easy done. Cold chissles, bolsters, blunt wood cheeses.

Just look at this project thread, anything is possible.   This is my go to for inspiration, it's not about flash, cheque book cars, this is talent, money can only replicate. 

FFS, he made chassis legs 😎

• Like 1