manta a 240 get rag speedo cable

Greg w

Hi Greg

From memory (although it was a long time ago now!) I think i used the standard A speedo cable but think you need a different speedo drive.

Im sure someone else will confirm!

There might be some info on https://www.edelschmiede.com/ and i he does both seals as well. Make sure you change the speedo drive seal! 

Also make sure you get the right oil for the 240 as if you don't you will have issues with it.

What gearbox mount have you got? as you can get a nice upgraded one.

Thomas should do all the stuff you need.

Andy

2 minutes ago, 611 said:

Hi Greg

From memory (although it was a long time ago now!) I think i used the standard A speedo cable but think you need a different speedo drive.

Im sure someone else will confirm!

There might be some info on https://www.edelschmiede.com/ and i he does both seals as well. Make sure you change the speedo drive seal! 

Also make sure you get the right oil for the 240 as if you don't you will have issues with it.

What gearbox mount have you got? as you can get a nice upgraded one.

Thomas should do all the stuff you need.

Andy

The A is different where it fits onto the back of the dash but i think its the same on the gearbox end.

2 hours ago, Greg w said:

thanks so hopefully a manta a cable.

i’ve tried https://www.edelschmiede.com/

in the past and have a minimum spend for uk delivery, so i’ve never been able to use them

Hi Greg

Yep, it looks like the A one is all you need. Does the 240 box have the speedo drive with it? As if everything wheel wise is standard you might be ok with just that. I think you need to change the internal drive spindle if you have gone bagger with wheels etc. And i think from memory the are a couple of different colors. Let me see if i have the part numbers for the seals as i have spares as you might be able to find them on EBay if you have the part number and even worth a check with your vauxhall dealer as i manged to get some oil filters as one dealer had a whole box of 20, so they got me 5 🙂

I also think i have that trim, i just need to check it up against mine (when it stops raining!) to double check its the right side.

Andy

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Was the auto one not an option too 🤔

Might be. The main thing is the end that fits to the back of the dash as the A series has a big plastic part that locks onto the back of the dash and i think the B is much smaller.

A series

spacer.png

B series

spacer.png

Other end looks the same.

6 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Could try Speedy cables then, perhaps they could match it up. 
https://www.speedycables.com/speedometer-cables/

I suppose it depends on what Greg already has, if he has the one off of a 4 speed box (or maybe auto but not seen one of those) he will be ok with the conversion. If he has the cable that goes with the 5 speed it will be from the B so he will need to source something.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 611 said:

I suppose it depends on what Greg already has, if he has the one off of a 4 speed box (or maybe auto but not seen one of those) he will be ok with the conversion. If he has the cable that goes with the 5 speed it will be from the B so he will need to source something.

Wonder if the plastic end could be 3D printed 🤔

1 hour ago, Greg w said:

i didn’t get one with the car it was in bits when i bought it,

I will try and source one for the A.

do you have the part number?

Unfortunately not. 

But Opel GT source seem to have them.

https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/3108/details

and if you need the front and rear seals it might be worth getting them all from the same place. Either Opel GT source or from Thomas. I have ordered lot of stuff from Gil at Opel GT source and the postage to the UK is not too bad and the prices are similar to the German places. I think from the German places its just classed as the speedo cable for the 4 speed.

If you need the cable you also need front and rear seals, oil and maybe the crossmember mount as the 5 speed wont fit on the 4 speed gearbox mount.

56 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Wonder if the plastic end could be 3D printed 🤔

Not sure how you then get it on the cable 🙂

• Thanks 1

I just bit the bullet and bought the one from Germany. Fits getrag 240/265 into a series. It was £20 but now £25 plus postage. You could always do a cut and shut on outer cable and join ends with rubber fuel pipe. 

1 hour ago, rutts said:

I just bit the bullet and bought the one from Germany. Fits getrag 240/265 into a series. It was £20 but now £25 plus postage. You could always do a cut and shut on outer cable and join ends with rubber fuel pipe. 

That doesn't sound to bad cost wise as everything from Germany jumped up pretty much as soon as we left Europe!! The A is such a bugger to get to the back of the dash that if it was me i would pay the £25 + postage knowing that once its fitted i wouldn't have to touch it again 🙂

15 minutes ago, 611 said:

That doesn't sound to bad cost wise as everything from Germany jumped up pretty much as soon as we left Europe!! The A is such a bugger to get to the back of the dash that if it was me i would pay the £25 + postage knowing that once its fitted i wouldn't have to touch it again 🙂

who in germany ?