My Manta Daily

SveausDE

My story begins in February 2024.
While I was looking for an Opel classic car on various internet platforms, I opened an advert offering an Opel Monza.
When I looked at the pictures of the vehicle, I noticed an Opel Manta A in the background of the pictures.
So I wrote to the seller asking if he would be interested in selling the Manta.
As it turned out, the seller was an Opel dealer who wanted to give up his business for reasons of age and wanted to part with his private collection. The Manta had been dry in this collection at the dealership since 1991.
Three days later, I travelled 300 km to inspect the car.
Unfortunately, when I got there I realised that a lot of work and money had to be put into the car to make it shine again.
The negotiations then failed because the seller's asking price was a few thousand euros too high in my eyes.
I gave the seller my offer, which I was prepared to pay, and then drove home again without the car.
I had already written off the car when my phone rang two weeks later and the seller accepted my offer.
So I went back and bought the car.
An Opel Manta A 1.6S automatic with first registration 09.1971.
I started by emptying the interior of the car and removing the original insulation material.
To my delight, I only found a minimal rust hole.
This was then welded and new insulation glued in.
After that, a new headliner, new door panels, a new parcel shelf and a set of carpets were installed.
The original parts were simply in too poor a condition to keep.
Once the interior was finished, I started with the floor assembly and replaced all the rubber and wearing parts.
The front brake callipers were also replaced with new ones at the same time.
During this work, I noticed that both spring mounts on the rear axle had fallen victim to rust.
Fortunately, I have a colleague who has learnt steel construction. He built a frame for the rear axle and welded in new spring mounts.In addition to the salvaged axle, i also gave the manta a brand new tank.
When this work was completed, I took the Manta to Risse Motorsport, whose boss is a friend of mine since I used to work there.
Risse then had the job of refreshing the technology of the engine and gearbox.
Unfortunately, it turned out that the 1.6 engine was rubbish and had probably never had an oil change in 50 years. The camshaft was round, the timing chain was broken and so on.
So I didn't invest any more money in this engine, but converted directly to a 1.9S engine, which was then tuned with a single 45 Weber carburettor.
Of course, everything with German approval and registered.
It was ready in July and I've already driven the car a few thousand kilometres this season, as it's my daily driver.

fortunately, i work for a manufacturer of spare parts for classic vehicles, which made the whole process easier for me.

I've been asked a few times why I haven't converted to 5-speed, wide wheels and sports suspension, but I think that if a car has been original for so long, you have to keep your hands off it

Greetings

Sven

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 10