Pass Me the Gun's 400r!!!!

Shug

Huzzah! Picked myself a 400r up at the weekend! Drove from Dunfermline to Swansea with a trailer on Saturday took 10hrs, slept for 6, picked up the car (about 30mins) then drove for another 9 1/2 hours smiling all the way!

Its a GTJ with a 2.0 and twin 48's, full OMP cage, seats and harnesses and a fly-off handbrake. It sounds utterly ridiculous when started. The plan is to prep the bodywork for a respray, finish off the wiring and hopefully get it on the road to catch the last of the summer. Fingers crossed!

DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00155.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

Does anyone know of any history regarding this car? I know its been in Wales for a while.

Pass me the gun and ask me again....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:Originally posted by PassMeTheGun

Does anyone know of any history regarding this car? I know its been in Wales for a while.

id="quote">id="quote">

In a lake in wales by the look of it [:D]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

where abouts in swansea was that one and why is it that a yellow manta coupe is all the rage? My 400r V8 was bloody yellow now its white and dusty, but near completion.

Gary

Has anyone reskinned a fibreglass 400 bonnet on top of the original bonnet frame? I'm thinking thats the way to retain the original curve but the fibreglass one has a ford sierraty fibreglass frame bonded to it and i don't was to crack the bonnet when I remove it.

Where are you in Fife Mantamad?

quote:Originally posted by PassMeTheGun

It'll be white or black when its finished not sure which yet.

id="quote">id="quote">

Personally I'd go for black as most people with the 400 bodykit go for white to keep it as close to a real 400 as possible. I find with cars (especially mantas) it's nicer to have something a bit more unique. White probably would be the sensible option as it hides imperfections in the bodywork and it should cost a little less to have done than black. If you do go for black, the wheels may look a bit odd unless you get them done in alloy paint or something.

Dispite it's initial appearence this looks like a great car and an enjoyable project, so I hope you're happy with it given the distance you travelled to get it. As it's a B-series, fingers crossed, there won't be too much welding and that rally interior is rather smart too! though a tin of engine laquer might not go amiss[;)] Are those Webers or Dellortos?

banner.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/rick_manta

I remember that car from about 20+ years ago when it was a standard b series GTJ, we have relatives who live in Broadmead, Sketty, just outside Swansea, and allways used to see this car parked opposite the end of this road outside a house, I had a B series 2.0 SR hatch at the time, my first manta, CYX 882V, anyone know where it is now?

chrisb

Yeah, I was thinking about black and keeping the wheels white with white 400 decals, could be a bit weird though. I've also heard there's a whole lot of kawasaki green going cheap nearby and my budget is pretty tight so that may be in with a shout.

There's been a ton of welding already done when the previous owner started rally prepping it so it's mainly going to be sanding and filling the tatty bodywork. (I've stripped and laquered that cam cover already!) The carbs are webers BTW.

I've been told its the ridiculously rare twin binnacle manta![:D]

PB070093.jpg

and another less blurry photo...

PB070081.jpg

Cheers Chris, do you remember if its always had that sunroof?, it's not steel so i'm assuming it's been added later.

Whereabouts in Broadmead was it Chris? I've got a couple of accquaintances around West Swansea (Sketty/Killay/Dunvant) with Mantas. They may remember the owner.

Where in Pontardawe did you pick it up from PMTG? Again I know of at least 2 Mantas men down that way who may know some history.

OMOC #5826..... 79 SRB coupe - 'interesting project', 79 Cav saloon - 'another interesting project', 1993 Senator 24v. Yakshimash.

Don't know where exactly the bloody sat-nav took me there (via a ridiculously tight one-way street) coming from swansea I turned left a bit at a petrol station over a bridge, hard right on a roundabout then hard left on the next one. There were speedbumps if that helps. The guy was called rhys and is a biker (bright red hair).

Out of the pics the last one is in my opinion is the better. Even better, again my opinion only here, would be gloss black all over[:D].

I guess it completely depends on what you're actually looking for in the car, wether you want it to be a close 400 replica or an original looking headturner would really dictate what sort of paintjob you should go for.

banner.jpg

it was converted years ago by the previous previous owner, probably around 95-6 ish. I wouldn't have converted a GTJ myself but the damage was aready done. Seems all the more solid for the early base though.

Gloss black was considered but (a) its more expensive. (B) it would show up the (not perfectly) blended arches and © the guy doin the respray has lots of white kicking about.

Hurrah for budgets!

quote:Rick-Manta

Rank - Senator

United Kingdom

576 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2007 : 14:49:59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of the pics the last one is in my opinion is the better

id="quote">id="quote">

I would have to agree with this aswell. Good luck with the project.[8D][8D]

Rob

robah@btinternet.com

Cheers guys,

Progress so far:

I've stripped and smoothed both rear quarters (the 400 kit was blended by someone good at reading but not so good with braille)

Sanded, painted and seam-sealered the headlamp bowls.

Welded patches on the floorpan, b-post and battery tray (I learned to weld last night!)

Replaced the leaking tank-fuel pump pipe

Bled the brakes

Sripped and de-rusted the passenger door

Hammerited the cam cover (its now red)

Hopefully sorting out a respray within the month [:D]

cheers,

Smart! What welding gear are you using? I've wanted to have a crack at learning to weld a while ago but never got around to it. I was going to buy a gasless mig welder for £130ish from B&Q.

I would have painted the rocker cover myself! [:D][:D][:D]

Hope the respray comes along mate.

banner.jpg

its a fancy snap-on welder I've borrowed from my neighbour (who welds for scotland) but he assures me the wee migmate ones are just as good for hobby users. I'd get one with the gas attachments tho, it makes a helluva difference. I may need to invest in one myself soon.

I was surprised at how uncomplicated the welders actually are inside. I borrowed his auto-darkening mask too, it's the dogs b***ocks! I'm pretty sure there's witchcraft involved though [8D]

In my mind its always best to buy the best welder and helmet you can afford.

I started with a clarke 150te which does the job but might change it for a better one soon (cost £195). I also used to have a cheap auto darkening helmet that cost me £40.

However now I'm getting a bit more ambitious I have had to buy a decent tig welder (£750) and a better auto darkening helmet (cost me £100 but rrp is £300!!!) - its amazing how much easier it is to weld with the better helmet.

Also its much better to buy decent welding gas (like argoshield) rather than cheap co2 - makes your welds much nicer.

• 1 month later...

muahahaha! Progress!

I've replaced the drivers door with a later GTE door I got from Mick (cheers Mick!) which came off of the totalled GTE coupe ---> http://www.mantaclub.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11405

Bought a exclusive rear bumper and infill from Sutty (cheers Sutty!)

Done a whole lot of sanding and filling and finally got the first layer of 2pack primer on it! Excuse the pish photo...

IMG075.jpg

Thought that it'd be ok spraying the car without a mask because it was outside, how wrong was I? Me and two of my mates were off our t*ts within 15 mins, full fat milk soon sorts you out though

[B)]

cheers,

looks like you have awhole lot less work to do than i do! Im not looking forward to fitting the kit at all[:(]

I like the hydraulic handbrake though, can you pass an mot if you have a hydraulic handbrake with a lock bar and no cable operated handbrake? Im thinking it would be so much simpler if converting to rear discs[?]