Opel Manta GTE Exclusive Project update 21/09/2008

Suzy

hi sorry to hear you having so much trouble with this CIH engine if you have 2 low commpressions as in cyl 3/4 then only possiblitys that will cause this situation is either a crack in the cylinder head between cyl 3/4 or that the head is not true and is misshaped ie warped . a test you could try is to leave spark plug 3 or 4 in the head then retest compresion see if it alters, should help to find out if the two cylinders are low because of leakage hope this helps i dealt with this engine a lot and this fault i have seen a few times .most commonly between cyl 2/3 thou [:)]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if wrong but This seems unlikely as when rebuilt the head last week it was skimmed and pressure tested prior to rebuild and had not cracks or weaknesses.???

Suz

Lesson learned - If you want something doing do it yourself!!!!!!!

i know it seems unlikley but i rebuit a cih 3 times and twice was told head was perfect and had been skimmed third time took it to different engineer and he showed me that it was abot 25 thou warped between the two cylinders so popped a different head on and ran perfect so i know it seem like you having to check thing 2,3,4 times but better to do quick check may save a lot of time / money or lookin for a fault that isnt really there just trying to help [:D]

Took car to see Gary ( the family tuner!![:D]) today and he did quick leak down test on couple cylinders and compression checks on all.

Compression has now swapped round and front two are low and backs are fine!!!!!! [:(!]

Checked the compression on couple of cylinders and only 10% loss down each bore which is well within acceptable levels.

After quick chat with Gary we are thinking that the hydraulic lifters are not working properly and sticking hence sometimes working sometimes not.

On advice of Gary now have new set of hydraulic lifters on order (bargain £23.00). These should be here end of this week/early next. Also going to slacken off all the rockers and check compression on all cylinders, if this is ok it can only be the lifters or fuelling.

Before fitting I will oil flush the engine and replace the oil and filter.

A possible cause of the lifters failure would be grit or sh*t in the oil.

Also after fitting therostat she is not overheating now so at least have sorted something!!!! Have decided the only reason she drove home without the thermostat was because the head gasket was blown and the water could still flow round the engine !!!!!!

Suz

quote:Originally posted by Snowy

I did tell you to check the rockers. Have you just tightened them down too much or are the lifters sticking?

000_0260.jpg

id="quote">id="quote">

I did recheck them and various other things before going to Gary and they were lifting as they were when put them in. This is first time ever came across the hydraulic lifters and Being honest I didn't know how much they should left had a look in Haynes which wasn't much help and came to the conclusion (wrongly I think) that they only lift a tiny bit. So now decided if get full new set I know I have eliminated them as a problem.

Hi Suzy,

Regarding the stuttering when you initially put the foot down, I had the same problem with my CIH on 48's, I put it down to overfuelling and a lack of spark. Re-jetting the carbs would help a fair bit but replacing the ignition with a coil-pack and electronic control helps a whole lot too. Its pretty straight forward to do(cheap too) and you can then tell the plugs exactly when to spark depending on throttle position and load (and the spark is a whole lot bigger).

See the megajolt forum here: http://www.autosportlabs.net

I totally recommend it.

Cheers,

signature.jpg

Pass me the gun and ask me again....

OMOC 6095

Well wish this was an update to say car now running but the new set of hydraulic lifters i have ordered have not turned up yet so not been able to find out if they will solve the problem or not. Until they arrive not going to strip rocker cover off and do anything with it as will just have to do it all again when they arrive.

So in true project thread fashion I have decided if you can't fix what you've got go and buy some parts you don't really need at present but are quite cool to cheer yourself up!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Bumper (note the lack of a bodged fibreglass repair on right hand side!!!)

dsc01091yu0.jpg

New Irmscher spoiler (Not warped like mine)

dsc01093zn0.jpg

And a pair of new STEEL Rear arches to replace P38/P40 mix arches currently in place

dsc01094fw2.jpg

Think tomorrow night may have to fit new bumper and spoiler but will have to leave arches for now as got to learn to weld!!

Suz

New lifters arrived and where for an ohc engine thanks to my other half telling me in was a C20NE not a 20E or 20S. Good job i love him!!!!

Have taken bumper off (more to get easier access to bottom of the car than to fit new one) this was only held on by end brackets two of which where broken, yet another example of the bodge job this car has been made into previously. (any spare side bumper mounts lying around cash waiting )

Had a look at the oil pressure sender to try to get this to work to establish if oil pump is working and guess what yet another example of bodgery!!!!!

See viewtopic.php?f=53&t=17369 for details and to post any advice!!!

The amount of sheer bodge jobs on this car no wonder she isn't running right!!!

Suz

Tonight after following the advice of Exclusive Opel in my pressure sender post managed to finally connected the sender up to the gauge correctly and it works which has saved me £65 + VAT for a replacement . It had been connected up so both wires were piggy backed onto one connection on the top with nothing on the other one!!

Unfortunately whilst connecting it up one of the little bolt points has sheared but luckily it appears to only be the one for the light as the gauge still works

Going to run her up on sunday night and see what the pressure is and as have put an engine flush in then going to drain the oil, check the plate on the front of the oil pump and see whats happening there.

Depending on results depends on next thing need to look at. Mind you did have quick look at pump and found one of the bolts was completely loose

(not sure how stayed in for journey home!!) so that might help now have tightened it!

Watch this space things are on the up I can feel it in my bones!!!! :thumbup

Suz

The dreaded eBay LOL

The Parkers Price guide for the world

Still if you're happy with it then its all good. How long do you reckon now until you've got the car running? I know exactly how frustrating it is to have something you want to use and not be able too.

My shed is beginning to look like a parts store as well with all the bits i've been hoarding

The dreaded eBay LOL

The Parkers Price guide for the world

Still if you're happy with it then its all good. How long do you reckon now until you've got the car running? I know exactly how frustrating it is to have something you want to use and not be able too.

My shed is beginning to look like a parts store as well with all the bits i've been hoarding

Think I only paid £15 plus postage for it which I thought was reasonable unlike £150 for a bumper (I paid £15 for that too!!!)

Hoping to have her running within the month at the latest although the aim us the 13th March to go to a meet!! But just depend what find tomorrow when look at oil pump.

Well pleased to be finally posting back up on my project thread.

After all of the issues posted in other threads (usually technical questions lol) think I am now winning

After removing all the lifters, dismantling, cleaning and reassembling, put them back into the engine reset the rockers last night, then reset the ignition timing (by ear but should be done properly next week) had to stop as neighbours not too keen on hearing the sound of a carbed Manta late at night Don't see why not, I could listen to it all day and all night lol

Tonight went out and checked the compression again and..................................................................

150 psi on all cylinders am I pleased or what, finally I have an engine I know is sound.

Took her out for a good run and still got a flat spot but this is almost certainly down to fuelling and ignition timing as only at low revs and as you accelerate (overfuelling on number 1 choke, but as soon number 2 kicks in oh yeah ).

Also wondering if the pressure regulator is doing the job or set correctly, it has numbers 1-5 with half settings really helpful..not!!!!) Although other half has a Sard FPR with a gauge on, for his skyline I might just borrow (or steal!!)

Have a hunch that when she is running right she is going to fly as even in the state she is in she pulls like a train. grin.gif

I can now say I am officially in love!!!

Suz

Well I have decided I am admitting defeat, you cannot tune carbs on your driveway!!!!!

Think car will have to go and see an expert over the next week. Have spent evening balancing them and adjusting them but she is still juddering when you drive it.

Suz