Engines

shooie811

Not really, and I imagine if you were running the GTE engine with a standard carb (solex or varijet) without changing the camshaft for one from an earlier carbbed engine, you'll have a bit more power.

The main differences are that the GTE engines have hydraulic lifters and fuel injection, the earlier engines have solids but I think the 2.0S (carbbed 2.0) has hydraulic also, but not entirely sure. They apparently put out 100bhp and the GTE 110bhp, so not a massive difference but I'm of the mind that the GTEs were a little higher as these figures weren't entirely accurate back in the day. The big difference in drivability would be if you're running the old engine with the GTE gearbox, which is a must if you want proper power transfer, the four speed is only any good if you happen to like driving tractors and saying ooh-arr a lot!

Not really, and I imagine if you were running the GTE engine with a standard carb (solex or varijet) without changing the camshaft for one from an earlier carbbed engine, you'll have a bit more power.

The main differences are that the GTE engines have hydraulic lifters and fuel injection, the earlier engines have solids but I think the 2.0S (carbbed 2.0) has hydraulic also, but not entirely sure. They apparently put out 100bhp and the GTE 110bhp, so not a massive difference but I'm of the mind that the GTEs were a little higher as these figures weren't entirely accurate back in the day. The big difference in drivability would be if you're running the old engine with the GTE gearbox, which is a must if you want proper power transfer, the four speed is only any good if you happen to like driving tractors and saying ooh-arr a lot!

how do i know if its built 4 4 star and it does have hydraulic lifters

cheers

Originally it would have needed four star so unless you've got any history with the engine then you're not going to know unless you take the head off and look to see if the exhaust valves have been milled out and replaced with a different metal. Unless there's anything wrong with your old GTE head then that would be suitable for unleaded fuel, so you could use that.

The big difference in drivability would be if you're running the old engine with the GTE gearbox, which is a must if you want proper power transfer, the four speed is only any good if you happen to like driving tractors and saying ooh-arr a lot!

What total crap. Can you please explain why you do not get 'proper power transfer' with a four speed gearbox???

hi there. the bottom half of the engine is the same wether its a carb model or injection.(2.0s or 2.0e)the difference is that the gte head is a skimmed version of a carburettor head.hence the increase in compression ratio.to tell externally if the head has inserts for unleaded it will be stamped P2 on the side for carb head & P2E for injection head.(march 1985 onwards) the cam is virtually the same in all respects except 2 deg advance on opening/closings.if you use your gte head on your new block then it will be as before power wise. or less using its original head.

The 4 speed is probably a hardy box in my opinion ;) 5 speed bening better for long trips (motorway)

The 4 speed isn't that tough, mate of mine wrecked one in a sprint ascona with about 140 bhp. I run a std getrag in the grasser and thats had 180 bhp through it and alot of abuse as the tracks are pretty rough sometimes so you do get heavy loading in the transmission when the car compresses then goes light the compersses hard again.

From what i gather the 240 relates to 240 ft lb of torque that the box will handle, so that should be good enough for most engines even full blown race 2.5's.

HTH

Chris

What total crap. Can you please explain why you do not get 'proper power transfer' with a four speed gearbox???

Well since you've already decided to write it off as total crap, instead of explaining anything to you I'll just tell you to ...... off!!!

Sorry Shooie881, didn't mean to get nasty on your thread, seems that some folk don't like other peoples opinions.

Edited as requested......begrudgingly!