Lsd What Are My Options?

Perywinkle

Going to be upping the grunt from my 16v A series to around 200bhp soon, and fancy a lsd to go with it!

Is there much available for the Manta?

What type do you lot think are best for a fast road car?

Plate? viscous? geared?

Cheers

Ben

There are only really 2 options.

1 ZF (plate)-- Can't get new only used. expect to pay £500+ if you can find one.

2 Quafe (geared)--- Buy new from Quafe, around £800

I have been told that the ZF is more forgiving and that the Quafe can grab a bit. I'm sure others will put me right if they disagree :P

Don't forget Gripper Diffs Gripper

They're plate diffs like the old ZF but slightly better in design.

Also as they are designed around just 3sizes of internals (small, medium, large) they allways have a large stock of parts on their shelves.

So no issue in getting replacement plates (which is where ZF fall down having individually designed plates for each individual diff)

They have been offering a manta diff since the start of the year (well i picked mine up in december actually)

Its not cheap at a listed price of £650+vat+delivery

I managed to arrange a deal on mine :D

But we'd been talking to them about the design and helping with a standard diff to get measurements off.

So the first one of the production run is in my car, and i'm very happy with it.

Going to be upping the grunt from my 16v A series to around 200bhp soon, and fancy a lsd to go with it!

Is there much available for the Manta?

What type do you lot think are best for a fast road car?

Plate? viscous? geared?

Cheers

Ben

ello ello ello are yoe the same Pezza from Locostbuilders??

If so, I'm NS Dev from the very same!!!

A pretty indestructible option, and cheap, though not a 5 min job, is to use a Salisbury 4HA axle.

if you look on my website, www.retropower.co.uk and have a look at the kadett turbo project you'll see one in a kadett. Its the narrower one in that, the good news is the wider one is actually easier to find, as its from a Reliant Scimitar GTE (SE6 model, the narrow one is SE5)

Width wise its bang on, and the jag powr loc diff goes straight in and these are dirt cheap. The 5 link isn't a 5 min job but then its not massive either, I did the link boxes and axle brackets etc for the kadett in 2 days.

You can do the lot for the price of a manta lsd and the 4ha is easy good for 500hp (we're putting 400 through it and drag racing and its not broken yet, whereas a manta axle with welded diff broke at every event!! )

Anyway, prob a bit OTT for a road car but you'll never break it again!

PS obviously the really cheap option is just to weld the stock diff up.

I did this on the kadett when it was on the manta axle, at the owner's request and much to my protest that it would be crap on the road, but actually it was fine, only a pain when trying to push it by hand around a corner into his garage!

Edited by Retro Power

Don't forget Gripper Diffs

Cheers I'll keep 'em in mind :)

ello ello ello are yoe the same Pezza from Locostbuilders??

If so, I'm NS Dev from the very same!!!

Heya mate, tis indeed me :)

Cheers for the info, could come in handy at a later date as eventualy i'd like to get a chevy ls lump in there.

That's a few years down the road yet though as we are currently house hunting :s

Don't forget Gripper Diffs Gripper

They're plate diffs like the old ZF but slightly better in design.

Also as they are designed around just 3sizes of internals (small, medium, large) they allways have a large stock of parts on their shelves.

So no issue in getting replacement plates (which is where ZF fall down having individually designed plates for each individual diff)

They have been offering a manta diff since the start of the year (well i picked mine up in december actually)

Its not cheap at a listed price of £650+vat+delivery

I managed to arrange a deal on mine :D

But we'd been talking to them about the design and helping with a standard diff to get measurements off.

So the first one of the production run is in my car, and i'm very happy with it.

HMMMMM interesting! I was going to ask this question soon as ill be starting my rear axle. I sort of had my heart set on a quaife but as said it might not be the best locking action it provides in a rear drive set up.

Are the gripper diffs plate type and do they fit straight into the 1800 axle?? If so i wouldnt mind paying the price for one, better than waiting for a burnt out old ZF for 5-600 quid :blink: