Mint Pre 1985 Gte Hatch Wanted - Ideally P/x

Rick-Manta

WANTED

A1 Condition Manta GTE Hatchback

After many years of avoiding them, I should soon be receiving a credit card with a credit limit more than the value all four of my cars put together! So, I shall be in the market for a really top notch Manta :lol: . I was tempted by that gold Nottingham based one that's been on ebay a few times but I felt it was a bit over priced, especially for a hatch, it has opening quarter windows and a beige interior, but would have liked to try a deal on it if it were closer I also thought it was a classified ad but it wasn't and the auction ended :( .

I'm basically going to be quite particular and not rush into anything as I'm after something special to keep forever, under lock and key in the winter and take to a few summer shows, even if I'm still looking this time next year. It was last weekend when I was at my workshop getting covered in paint dust from sanding my red 1.8 and I looked outside, saw my GTE and thought 'Christ, I've got to do this all again!' I want to have no work to do, no remedying patchwork welding, no rust issues, no crap paintwork, etc.

Must Haves

The car I'm after is to be a non sunroof GTE hatchback 'B' reg or older with at least 10 months MOT and tax (and be road legal), no bodge job MOT style welding repairs, no rust or fuel tank issues (I will check :D ) and basically be in a showroom condition inside and out (that includes the engine bay).

Maybes

Manual gears preffered but would consider automatic for right car, fixed rear quarter windows preffered but again would consider opening type. Ideally want a black, white or silver car with the black Daytona check interior but any colour I would consider including the beige :mellow: . Most people who keep a showroom car have a flawless service record with a folder of receipts and manuals so all this would be advantageous but not essential. I'd also rather original condition but I'm all too aware of the advantages of K&N's and decent exhaust systems and have no desire for an original stereo, so minor mods are fine.

My Budget and PX's

The realistic ceiling price of any standard Manta hatch is £3k so I'm looking to pay that as a maximum for an absolute corker. Due to a lack of space and to aid my collection of the car, it would be nice to be able to part exchange with my somewhat not showroom white 1984 GTE hatch with MOT 105,000 miles and top condition interior, I also have a 1.8 GT as a possible. PX isn't essential but it would be handy to get things moving.

I appreciate it's specific but if you have the right car for sale then please call 07809 329211 or PM me or reply through the forum (don't email direct, the address I have registered with the site is old and I can't change it!) Kindest thanks, Rick.

Anyone know this one?

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1272219.htm

I thought it was the Rottingham one that was on ebay a few times (and here for £4000!! Until he "withdrew it from the club site due to no serious offers", then sticks it on ebay for £700 less! ....where it still didn't sell :lol: ) I don't think it's in as good nick overall as the Rottingham one but I've emailed the seller for a bit more info as he's asking £3k for a car then described it in one sentence :unsure:

There was a nice looking black GTE on here a short while back but the chap decided to keep it as there was little interest. I think he's a club member and to be honest I'd rather buy a club car.

Looks like I won't be doing it anyway, the chap as yet hasn't replied to my email plus for £3k I was really looking for something fitting 95% of my wish list. I do very much like the recaros but don't really like beige, although it does seem to go with the gold painted cars, there was the option of black or beige on gold GTEs, the only limitation was astro silver cars could only have black recaros.

It's a damn shame I missed that black one that a bloke had on here, it's not in the classifieds anymore but I think it was closer to the £2500 mark as it had a couple of the 'usual' repairs which makes it not completely 'mint', know what I mean!? :D

Still I'm in no hurry to indebt myself, so I'll play the waiting game for the right one.

Why don't you want opening rear quarters Rick? They were standard issue on the GT/E, and the hatch doesn't seem to suffer from the problem of them falling out like the coupe.

Eeeek! Were they standard on the GTE? I thought they were an optional extra :unsure: I'd rather not have them as it's not only the potential of falling out, it's one more place to leak or go a bit crusty/mouldy while in storage. As they're standard I'd have to edit that as I'll be looking for rather a long time :D

Cheers for the info, you learn something new every day.

I think? that some of the grey import GSi models had fixed quarterlights, but I'm pretty certain that the only UK spec B2 cars that had them were the 1800 GT & GT/J (and exclusive 1800 as that was based on a GT).

Edited by 1900SR

Rick, just had a phone call from Cavalier & Chevette Club area rep Richard Watt, the classic car garage near to him has just got a Silver hatch in for sale. from the brief look that Richard got he says it looks in very good condition and it'll probably be marked up for around £2500.

It's not on thier website yet,so if you are interested you could get in first! hopefully this will be a link to the Cornerway Garage, Greenfield, Beds-

http://www.richard-shrive-cars.co.uk/

Thanks for the heads up Ian, I've just sent them an email and I'll give them a ring at this weekend if I don't hear back. I'm hoping it'll fit the bill, silver's good as the recaros will be black but I'm just crossing my fingers that the age is right and it's a non-sunroof.

If it's all good then Merry Christmas to MEEEE! :lol:

Thanks again Ian, Rick.

I got some details on this Greenfield hatch today, sounds great although it does need work on some rusty door bottoms, but the chap says that'd be done prior to sale if required.

I should be able to go and see it soon so getting all exited, with any luck my credit card should arrive before I go or perhaps it'd be better if it didn't :lol:

Rick for that sort of money (3k) would it not be better to ask someone like Simon P, about fixing up one of your hatchs? at least you know it would get done right! and you would have an A2/A3 car :thumbup Ok 3k wouldn't get you a full rebuild, but getting a deal sorted out and coughing up the cash every few months would be easier on the bank balance and you would get the A1 car!

Only a thought :rolleyes:

GL

Keith

I just left a deposit on the one in Greenfield so thanks again for that Ian. The gold one you've seen is the nottingham based one I mentioned earlier, where the main reason I turned it down was the fact that he advertised in on here for too much and got in a bit of a huff because folk were telling him it's a bit pricey.

As for the Greenfield one, it wasn't anywhere near £2500 the owner wanted between £4-5k, so I did have to spend a while explaining and proving the difference in ceiling prices for coupes, hatches and exclusives, but eventually ended up spending a monkey over my maximum :o . It is however rather special and there's a bit of a deal going on with what's included.

It's a 1984 B plate GTE hatchback in anthracite metallic with the black daytona and it's non-sunroof. Here's the special bit..... 16,000 miles with all MOTs and records. It was owned by a car collector who's now a bit too old to enjoy his cars so it ended up with this classic car dealer/restorers. The car is 100% original, the underside and interior are as you'd expect a 16,000 mile 1 owner car to be. The paintwork unfortunately has bird liming on the roof bonnet and there are some nasty splits and marks, the biggy is that both the lower door skins are w#nked. For my money I shall be having the doors re-skinned and a respray in the original anthracite but it'll be in 2 pack and 2k laquer instead of the original acrylic which is why this paint type does suffer if shown any form of outdoors. The car will be fully serviced, repaired and painted by the garages own inhouse workshop and be supplied with a full MOT. The only couple of disappointments are the engine bay is completely original and doesn't look like it's ever been cleaned or dressed, I prefer to be able to eat of dinner off them (and I do :lol: ) but this will give me a little bit to do to give me some kind of inclusion in it's 'finished' appearence. The second is that because the mileage is so low and the bloke who owned it would have still been about 60 when he bought it new, on the test drive it was just a bit too slow and there was just a slight inckling of possible wheel bearing issues which I was assured are fine and would be fully inspected pre MOT but to be honest I think if they need changing at a later date it won't be that expensive and a couple of laps around a track should free the engine up a little.

The car won't be ready until the end of January so that should give me time to sell my current GTE and allow my credit card to arrive.

Thanks, Rick.

EDIT

Sorry Keith, I was typing when you posted. Certainly an option for the future there and I didn't think of that. A good respray with prep and done properly (windows out, panels off, etc) would be at least £2k so without the engine work and other bits needed to my 1.8 or the old GTE, I'm still not going to quite get what I have just bought.

Edited by Rick-Manta

No probs, here's a few of the pics I took as I'm not going to see it again until pick-up as although I spent only 1 1/2 hours driving there (dangerously fast as I was running late) but the return trip nearly three hours in stinking traffic!!

Bearing in mind this is pre-resto'd you can see how pinicky I'm being with the paint, BTW does anyone know if that chrome raised opel badge on the nose is original?? I personally don't think it is as I thought all late models had flat vinyl, but then I thought fixed rear windows were on GTEs :lol: :-

n4b3lv.jpg

I will be losing the mudflaps and one of the fog lamps, mudflaps cause rust to start in the thin arch lip and the fogs look awful, but I legally need one.

2sb5x1z.jpg

The engine looks okay in the pics but it's not what I'd call clean and showroom condition, I would be making very subtle changes here, although I will keep hold of the original bits so will be completely reversible. In the clubs concourse rules it would be classed as intermediate not original.

rcv4ep.jpg

2zem5ur.jpg

The mintoid seats which will never be in contact with my work clothes or fag smoke!

2qweb1y.jpg

A couple of the problem areas, the worst door skin bottom which will have expert attension and some grot I found in the filler cap area.

wui3xu.jpg

30nivib.jpg

Ain't she a beaut!? When I own this Manta, all the blokes will think I'm cool and all the girls will think I'm sexy.....

..... <_<

Edited by Rick-Manta

The underside is completely untouched and solid, however like the engine bay the surface isn't lickable so perhaps a good bit of cleaning is in order.

I've already got a loan with my bank with about 10k left to pay off so the credit card is a bit more flexible with how much to pay each month (although the total to pay back would be higher with interest). I should have the car(d) paid off within four months and hopefully sooner if I sell my current GTE and a few of my rarer manta parts :D

Looks great Rick - on the finance side have you considered doing a 0% balance transfer from your credit card into your bank account (quite a few do this- just ring them and ask) you only have to pay a 2 - 3% fee then and can get up to a year interest free. Make sure they dont do it as a cash advance though cos that would really hurt the pocket :thumbup

Thanks Toni. I haven't got a year from them but something I didn't realise is as the card is new I get 0% on purchases for 6 months! :D As I'm buying from a dealer and not having to take cash off it (ie to buy a car like this privately) it won't cost me anything in interest so long as I pay the balance off within 6 months and I don't get any handling charges as the dealer can take mastercard, this is as far as I understand it anyway. There's also a cash back thing that I don't fully understand!?

They did try to sign me up to some crap insurance too, which apparently for £35 a year would cover my mobile phone from theft or damage and my credit and debit cards against fraud. When I read the small print, the phone insurance only covers contract ones, mine's pay and display and is about 10 years old! As for fraudulent use I can only legally be held liable for £50 so for me to get anything out of the insurance I'd have to get my cards stolen once every 15 months or so. They're never quite the deal they first seem do they?

Edited by Rick-Manta