Ascona B Strutbrace

Mrbus

slight aside... is there really much point fitting a strut brace to a manta/ascona/cav shell other than for looks? - the turrets only locate the dampers and thus are not really subject to any lateral forces... though this is only a 2 second observation of mine and not actually been given any thought.

Afraid I can't be of any help regarding the OMP brace though.

slight aside... is there really much point fitting a strut brace to a manta/ascona/cav shell other than for looks? - the turrets only locate the dampers and thus are not really subject to any lateral forces... though this is only a 2 second observation of mine and not actually been given any thought.

Been thinking that for years..................

They are used for rallying 'i believe' other than that! useful if you alter/remove the front cross-member (fitting a 6 cylinder cih) also good for major chassis leg work etc OR for impressing your m8's and teenage girls. :P;)

Similar usefulness as black tyre paint :lol:

[edit] I'm just joking ;) def something to do with motor-sports 'I believe'

Edited by keith1200

I fought they help to bring the camber angle back inwards to reduce tyre wear when lowering your car? :blink:

:o

not on a manta

the ascona OMP strut brace fits the manta B with an OHC engine, just - if you've got a CIH or, as I guess from your above post, the XE it won't fit

nope.... - unless you have fitted super uber high rate dampers then I can't see that the strut brace will do anything noticible tbh.

On a car like my peugeot 106 rally car then yes, because the strut tops are a locator for the suspension (though even then I prefer just to plate them with 6mm forest spec plates rather than brace ;) ) and thus take all the sprung force and a component of lateral loading from the suspension geometry.

A manta/cav/ascona has all of it's suspension fitted to the subframe and only the dampers mount to the body. As dampers are velocity dependent then only on a big impact will they significantly* load the shell (not likely to happen really, as the load should be directed upward and not laterally.) I would almost wonder if by drilling four M10 holes in each strut top you are weakening them by the same extent that the brace is "strengthening" them....

Don't always look at rally guys for the best tips, as many things that are done on a rally car have little translation to on road and mild track setups.

However, for show and shine pimpness then sure they make the engine bay look like it means business :D - heck even I have a chrome one that I got free with a gearbox and manifold that fits on the CIH 6cyl swap. that I'll probably fit because it looks cool ;)

On that note, am I one of the few who has not modified the front crossmember (or indeed chassis full stop) when fitting the 6pot CIH lump? I have a rad and 16" electric fan up inside the nosecone and the front valance still fits :)

*your opinion of significantly hitting a bump probably differs from mine ;)

Edited by Jason b

Or to put it simply.............

Why fit a STRUT brace on a car without any STRUTS

*your opinion of significantly hitting a bump probably differs from mine ;)

Unless you've landed that hard on your nose you've put your nudge bar 8" into the ground it probably does ;)

this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPEL-ASCONA-B-MANTA-16V-OMP-FRONT-STRUTBRACE-MA1673-/250677227193?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5d86eeb9#ht_500wt_725

I take back what i said - that's not the OMP ascona/manta strut brace I was thinking of, the one they used to sell was virtually straight with a plate with two bolt holes each end

still can't see that fitting a manta though, the area round the turrets is not flat enough to mount it to

Don't diss us rallybois innit!!

Even the full house Group B Mantas didn't have a brace between the damper top mounts.

Cheers

David

hehe, quite the opposite :D - I myself am a rally boi!

Thing is I am the penniless type of student rally boi doing club level stuff, so my 106 rally car only has the bits that actually make a difference to performance and safety and I have to give things some thought before I purchase. The amount of cars I've seen when marshalling stage events which have extraneous tat bolted on to them is quite amusing! :D

@ Mantadoc - I've hit a hole hard enough in the 106 to put both rear wheels into the boot.... :D - fairly terrifying at the time!! - not including subsequently writing it off into a very very solid object... sad really, I loved that car so much and only got to drive it for a year or so :(

Edited by Jason b

this one...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPEL-ASCONA-B-MANTA-16V-OMP-FRONT-STRUTBRACE-MA1673-/250677227193?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5d86eeb9#ht_500wt_725

I take back what i said - that's not the OMP ascona/manta strut brace I was thinking of, the one they used to sell was virtually straight with a plate with two bolt holes each end

still can't see that fitting a manta though, the area round the turrets is not flat enough to mount it to

This strut brace is to fit a Suzuki swift Gti according the OMP catalogue. The Ascona brace, although called a strut brace actually bolts to the inner wings (part number MA1534)

Edited by jasonj