Manta Berlinetta 2.0 E, 1982.

Lundgren_85

This weekend I started the Manta restoration project for the second time. The first time I quit because I got a job on a different location so I had too move. But now I´m back in the neighbourhood and continuing the work.

The things that I have to do before MOT and paint:

• Weld left jack point
  • Reweld left front floorboard
  • Weld left sill
  • Weld left rear wheel arch
  • Weld firewall left
  • Reweld right front floorboard, Done
  • Straighten right sill
  • Weld front left frame
  • Demont front wheel mount and suspension Done
  • Demont engine and gearbox, Done
  • Demont rear wheel mount and suspension
  • Demont engine bay, Done
  • Sand blast undercarrage and sills
  • Sand blast wheel wells and enginebay
  • Primecoat undercarrage wheelwells and sills
  • Spraycoat wheelwells and enginebay
  • Sandblast and spray wheelmounts and suspension
  • Sandblast and spray engine and loose parts Done
  • Demont fueltank
  • Replace fuellines
  • Weld boot
  • Primecoat boot
  • Spraycoat interior and boot
  • Weld front fenders and prime

Some prestart pictures:

When i pulled it out from it´s long time rest.

SNC00260.jpg

SNC00258.jpg

This weekends pics:

Rear

Bild199.jpg

Bild201.jpg

Front

Bild203.jpg

Bild206.jpg

Bild207.jpg

Bild208.jpg

Engine

Bild204.jpg

Interior

Bild209.jpg

Bild215.jpg

Bild216.jpg

This weekends work done:

Bild214.jpg

Before. The floor was welded before I got the jack point in place. Therefor I got a gap of 1.5 inches between the floor and jack point

Bild220.jpg

After. Now I formed the sheet metal after the jack point and other reference points in the floor before I welded it. Much better and nicer.

Edited by Lundgren_85

Thanx, Got alot too do before I´m satisfied.

Personally I think it´s the most beautiful Manta. The A series is too, I don´t know; just ugly.

Little to much look-a-like a older polo/golf in the front end and a ascona i the back. It´s not a own model.

And the later B´s doesen´t look right with their four slots and quad head lights.

But that`s my opinion.

Edited by Lundgren_85

• 5 months later...

Now I have had some time again. Bad weather, snow and a new job delayed my work on the Manta.

Some new pictures:

Before any work

Bild057.jpg

All rubber damping gone

Bild060.jpg

And heater/freshair intake

Bild062.jpg

Took the lower dash piece out for accessability

Bild084.jpg

Half way empty enginebay

Bild093.jpg

Bild094.jpg

A very dirty engine

Bild102.jpg

Bild095.jpg

And some exterior pics

Bild078.jpg

Bild079.jpg

Bild082.jpg

Thats all for now folks!

Edited by Lundgren_85
  • Like 1

Got a few hours of work on the Manta done this weekend as well. Striped of accessory parts and hot water washed the engine. Tried too clean off some grease and other slag from the intake. But 29 years and never an engine wash, it was no idea.

And now some update pics:

Bild108.jpg

Bild104.jpg

Bild107.jpg

Bild116.jpg

Bild112.jpg

And I hung the engine up in a improviced rack so I can sandblast it when the weather allows me too.

Bild113.jpg

Bild115.jpg

Edited by Lundgren_85

• 3 weeks later...

I spent my easter in the garage fideling with the engine and front suspention. Made a coverplate for the intake/exaust ports.

Bild120.jpg

Bild121.jpg

Sandblasted the engine and some parts for connection of the gearbox and starter.

Bild128.jpg

Bild130.jpg

Bild124.jpg

Bild125.jpg

Bild126.jpg

Bild129.jpg

Spray painted the engine. Used a satine type industrial paint for high teperatures and wear.

Bild133.jpg

Bild135.jpg

And the parts.

Bild137.jpg

Bild139.jpg

Demounted the front suspension and steering. And made a bracket for lifting the front end and moving the car with a traktor

Bild153.jpg

Bild182.jpg

Bild172.jpg

And pulled the wireing in to the cab.

Bild157.jpg

Bild173.jpg

Bild174.jpg

Edited by Lundgren_85

• 9 months later...

Long time since I worked with the Manta, but now I got some time again. This time I took care of the engine. I´ve replaced all sealings and cleaned the head and valves.

IMAG0196.jpg

All the valves had this "coating" when I opened the engine up.

IMAG0197.jpg

After some poliching they looked quite good again.

IMAG0198.jpg

I think I rebolted the engine mounts on the right sides, the short one on the left hand side and the longer one on the right hand side. Please correct me if I´m wrong.

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

That´s all for now folks. Hope that I can find some time this weekend too.

Got a package today, new Powerflex polyurethane bushes. So this weekend I'm going to finish the engine work then dismantling the front suspention and sand blast and paint it so I can fit it up with the new bushes. Think it will look nice when I get the chassis lowering kit fitted to.

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

Thanks for all of your comments. They help me push ön with the work :)

Today I looked over all the bushes so I got the right ones. Have to say one thing, you brittish people can really make good supply parts. Haven't seen that good quality on polyurethane parts from other manufacturers.

You keep the good work up :)

I'm going to take the whole suspention apart and sand blast and paint it before I put the new ones in. Yea I would imagine that it will be tight if the sleeve is still fitted. So it will have to come out first.

And now a little update, today Iv'e put the rocker cover back on and cleaned up the distributor and thermostate housing. Iv'e also put the intake manifold in kerosene to losen the grit up over night. Hopefully it will come right of tomorrow.

Thermostate housing before cleaning

IMAG0211.jpg

Got some help this morning ;)

IMAG0212.jpg

Same housing but cleaned up.

IMAG0213.jpg

Edited by Lundgren_85

Got the engine completed this weekend.

IMAG0217.jpg

Made a rack to put it on. Placed it so I can fit the transmission and front crossmember to the engine to make it easier to refit it to the car.

IMAG0219.jpg

When I had the alternator loose I dismantled it and glass blasted it. Think it looks quite good.

IMAG0220.jpg

Intake manifold polished and header painted with heatresistant paint.

IMAG0222.jpg

More to come in two weeks. Out of town next weekend. Surprise trip from my wife ;):D

Just remembered a thing that I noticed when I took the cylinderhead off. There was some scratches on the cylinderwalls, the brotch marks from the factory is still there. So I figure that the engine haven't been running that much in 30 years. The odometer reads at 28000 km. Do you think it has rolled over so it is 128000km? Or is the number it says the truth?

Couldn't help my self. Left my daughter at my parents today. Thats where the manta is. Got the front suspention in bits and left the crossmember to my brother for blasting. Found a big rusthole in the "spring tube" to weld before paint.

IMAG0228.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

New lowering springs and shorter sport shocks will be ordered when I have the money.

IMAG0230.jpg

you can get aftermarket (or maybe original) "spring tubes" if yours is too far gone.

I am in the process of bead blasting my spare front axle for future spares.

Good luck with the project, I am starting to see light at the end of the tunnel with my car now, and it's getting brighter by the day B)

• Like 1