Diy Paint Job

Thomas77GR

Hello

I am thinking of tackling painting my A series DIY. Have been looking at these Burisch units on ebay (compressor, spray gun etC) has anyone any experience with using them?

at the factory where I work we have ample compressed air through a rotary vane compressor unit. Can't I just buy a spray gun with its hoses and a bucket and plug in the gun into one of our compressed air line sockets?

and what sort of paint am I looking to buy for an Aseries?

I'm based in Scotland.

many thanks for any advice

The garages I've been to ask/get a quote quoted me >£2k!

£2k sounds like a good price to me.

I'm sure u know u get what u pay for in life and defo true with paint work.

I'm no expert but i know it's not just about the painting,the quality of prep work is just as,if not more important.

To give you some idea, to paint a bare shell, from scratch, underneath in phosphate etch primer then tinted raptor, then prep all shell with all filler work, reface coat, block sand, phosphate etch, build prime, block sand, prepaint, wet block sand, paint, all with masking and unmasking etc etc takes us around 200hours........... Of which around 15 are actually holding the spray gun

• Like 1

I've used a normal small compressor and spray gun but mostly used Apollo HVLP setup on and off for 20 years and my mates have all borrowed it too.

Things I have learnt.

Loads of coats of filler primer and flatting in between with wet 'n' dry 1200 when each coat has flashed off is pretty light work

As long as your primer is flat with no runs in plenty of coats of top coat, flatting in between when flashed off etc but here is the key bit, if your top coat is thick enough when done, even if not glossy as long as you have enough thickness to wet 'n' dry 1200 down untill flat and then T cut till it shines it will look good and be smooth as glass.

This obviously only really applies to solid colours and simple traditional paints.

Remember to follow all necessary safety precaustions and if in doubt do not even start

Basically, if you can put the time in, a really good looking paint job in a basic colour need not cost much.

Its was a long time ago, but painted mine in the garage and it came out looking good. And it is all about the prep, didn't spend as long as i should have on it and you could see a few areas that needed a bit more love!

But as it didnt cost a fortune and only my time your not to hacked of when you park it to come back and find some bugger has opened there door onto yours and put i nice scuff on it. I would be more annoyed if i had spent 2k+ and had that happen.

Im going to try vinyl wrapping :-) still needs the prep done well but will only cost about £600 - £1000 to have it done. Might even have a go myself :-)

Andy

vinyl warpping sounds crap to me. can't see it having a long life spam either....just get a devilbiss spray gun with a 1 . 4 cap. 100 or 150 litre compressor and use 2pack paint and dont bay the cheap shit either it will look crap if you do. but as the retro boys said theres a lot prep work that will need to be done..

That's a lot more money for hardware than for a £100 HVLP set up. It might not stack up for someone only doing one car.

Plus then the OP needs to know the CFM of gun and the CFM of compressor and air receiver volume, other wise a small compressir won't keep up and won't have abig enough reserve and it will be a lot of stop and start spraying. Plus if they choose a gun that uses constant air the compressor needs to be a lot bigger to keep up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just go for it, I did mine last year under a gazebo in my front garden and I used a cellulose paint kit that ibought off ebay for about £110 and a 25 L compressor, everybody comments on how good it looks and can't believe that I did it myself and it only cost about £200 for the whole set up.

Good luck, Ray