1.8s Manta cutting out after approx 20 minute run - any ideas what might be at fault?

druid

Hi folks

Having problems with my '85 1.8s Manta. Starts and runs well, however it has developed a problem in that it will cut out after around 20 mins of driving and won't start for a good 5-10mins. After that it runs fine again for another 10 - 20 mins. What should I check?

Could be lots of things, first 2 that spring to mind are

Air lock in the fuel tank, if the breather is blocked you are creating a vacuum in there by pulling fuel out and after a while the pump isn't strong enough to overcome it. Try opening the filler cap when it cuts out, if you hear a rush of air going in that's the issue.

Or the coil could be on its way out and it overheats after so long, letting it cool and its ok to go again. Eventually it will fail completely.

Actually same overheating issue could be in the ignition pack.

If you have spares swap 1 bit at a time and see if the issue goes away, if so last item swapped was the culprit.

• Like 1

I had something similar on mine a few years ago. It turned out one of the wires at the fuel pump was cut, right up almost at the spade. There were only a couple of strands of wire still intact. As the fuel pump ran, the wire got hot, and the resistance went up, and it got hotter, and the resistance went up, and eventually the fuel pump would die. Left it for 10 or 15 minutes, wire would cool off, and let enough current flow for the pump to work again. Took ages to find it, after I had changed most everything else in the fuel system!

Having problems with my '85 1.8s Manta. Starts and runs well, however it has developed a problem in that it will cut out after around 20 mins of driving and won't start for a good 5-10mins. After that it runs fine again for another 10 - 20 mins. What should I check?

Same happened to me this summer.

I bet it will be the coil pack overheating too.

Not the ignition module.

Replace it is the only worth while solution

Is it electronic ignition, or the "proper" plugs points condenser?

If the latter, a knacked condenser has that symptom, breaks up when hot & runs again once cooled down.

If you are Electronic, no idea..... new fangled nonsense.!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. Thanks for all the replies and apologies for neglecting to come on here for a while. I will try out the suggestions and get back to you with my results.

Cheers :D

Is it electronic ignition, or the "proper" plugs points condenser?

If the latter, a knacked condenser has that symptom, breaks up when hot & runs again once cooled down.

If you are Electronic, no idea..... new fangled nonsense.!!

its electronic unfortunately