Hello from South Yorkshire

Sven Hinka

I have just registered here, so I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Tudor, i'm 25 years old and I recently bought a Manta B in order to furfill my dream after many, many years. I had a 1977 Manta B SR coupe back home, but due to work issues(transfer from my country to England), I had to let it there and come here in England(she was a LHD). I also own a '99 VW Polo 6KV5, but that's another thing
There's nothing to say at the moment about the car. I saw it on eBay, I bought it and at the end of the month should arrive in my garage. It's what others would call a rust bucket, but... it's a Manta. It's a long time project, so the progress will be slow, but steady

57_1.jpg

57_2.jpg

57_4.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Sven Hinka
forgot the pictures
  • Like 2

Wow Sven, you have picked a good project there, should keep you busy in the winter and beyond. I tip my hat to you for taking this on and saving another Manta from the scrapheap. :thumbup

What are your plans for the car and have you set yourself a time limit yet?

All the best on the rebuild.

At the moment, I'm focusing on one thing: bring it home.:D
The car is in Devon...and I'm in South Yorkshire. Only bring it here will cost around 600 quids at least.

However, the plan is simple: start buying the body panels(long live Dr. Manta), strip it down, fix it, and then, little by little, rebuild it. My advantage is that, back home, Mantas usually are in this shape. So I'm used with it. I know where to look for rust damage and what to replace.  The only downside is my wage, time and health condition...but that's why things are going to be slow and steady. 

Now, she is a Berlinetta. I intend to actually make her a bit older, like '75('76 in your country) SR models: chrome bumpers, different wheels(looking for the rare steelies, not the usual ones), old style steering wheel etc.

There isn't a time limit. I'm the kind of guy who thinks that, if you want a good job, you have to take your time. Rushing usually means cut corners and improvisations. And I don't want to improvise anything on her. I have a car to go to work and back, travel for parts, so everything is ok.

Now, here is my first question, as a foreigner and as an OMOC member. Back home(don't ask what's my country, please, you'll just get dissapointed), if the metal plate on which the VIN plate is bolted on gets rusty and brakes(I mean the one of the front corner), you have to homologate the car again after you fix the problem. In UK, if this happens, what do you have to do? This is mainly my first reason of concern.

A quick pic of the interior...

57_3.jpg

Edited by Sven Hinka
misspelled word
  • Like 1

If the car was first used after 1st August 1980 it must have the VIN number visible on the car. It doesn't have to be on the VIN plate, the one stamped into the car by the drivers seat would be fine. If both are missing you could get a new plate made up and fitted.

Hi Sven, welcome to the Manta Club ( UK )

I have just visited the Manta Show in the Netherlands and saw a few Manta's with the wheels you want, they are early B GT/E steel wheels, the Early ( B MK1 ) GT/E was never sold in the UK so i think you might have to look in other European countries to find a set of those steel wheels.

I like 'two slot' Hatchbacks and i like your plans for your one.

You may struggle to find a chrome rear bumper in the UK as well, as the chrome bumper hatches were only sold here from 1978-1979 and are now incredibly rare, maybe less than 20 survivors. The Cavalier Sportshatch is more common, but the number plate light is below the bumper rather than above it as it would be on the Manta. 

Having said that, black bumpered B1 hatches are also very rare in the UK.

Hello and welcome, are you a restorer or modifier? Like you plan, is it dark navy or black!, welcome to the hatchback fan club, here is mine, also like early type! Chrome or plastic bumpers, would love a early type cav, and just lower it, twin carbs, and wider wheels. Work horse hack!

I think of them as a rwd, mk3 cavalier or astra, or something. Feel completely different to a coupe!

Edited by brady
  • Like 1

@Brady: I am the restorer kind. I just want her to be original as possible. Ok, slight modifications will be on her(like early GTE wheels for example), but not radicals one like another engine(no offence).
The radicals are usually for GT/E, i400 and so on. It's a hatchback in the end. Coupe is ok on modifying, due to the shape. Hatchback....no. It's all about the shape
@1900SR: I might get some chrome bumpers this week. Finger crossed :D Plus, I never liked the black bumpers on Manta. 

• Like 1

I've just received the confirmation: Monday at 10AM, Kirsty comes home!!!(yes, she has a name now)

I think that monday I'm gonna be drunk.... :D

Hi have got a set of 5 steels with chrome trim same as the one on the rear of your manta if you are stuck

I'm looking for other steelies, different style. Sorry

• 1 month later...