Can I use hydraulic followers with fast road cam?

Rick-Manta

As per the title, I'm looking to fit the Kent Cams fast road cam to an unleaded GTE head that will eventually go on my current project. I don't have the part number but it's the mild one, the first on the list so to speak. I need to buy new followers/tappets anyway but am wondering if the hydraulic ones are compatible with high lift camshafts as Kent's website says to use solid. Plus the damn hydraulic ones are just as much of a pain to setup as adjustables anyway!

Thanks

Strange, i have just checked the Kent website and they list solid lifters for all of the Opel range (which is now only 214,234,244 and above) not sure where the old 204 and 214 have gone.

But my old Kent catalogue said hydraulic or solid up to the 234. I know i ran an OP234 in an old CIH with hydraulic followers for a couple of years without problems. So wonder if they changed it for an actual problem with running the hydraulics, or for another reason (like selling more solid lifters etc)

• Like 1

214/234 cams usually came in a kit form with the springs/spacers/solid lifters. I looked yesterday and it did show the 234 with solid lifters on the in the downloadable catalogue. I've never seen hydraulic lifters in the engines i've taken apart that had cams fitted , even the 214's

As Nick said its to do with the grind of the ramp angle on the cam, i think its alot more aggressive with solid lifters to get the valve open as quick as possible.

HTH

Chris

Okay thanks guys. Back in the day, I knew of people who did just change the camshaft and subsequently were running with hydraulic lifters (didn't even change them for new). They were mild cams which still made a noticeable-by-driving difference in engine power and didn't seem to have any issues, they weren't even 'lumpy' at idle and cold start, but doesn't mean there wasn't premature wear to the cam lobes later in the cars life.

Hmph, well that's me back to square one on the head build, I was only after an extra 10bhp! :-D

My OP234 runs with hydraulic lifters, I used the solids Kent supplied to start with but it was so noisy I changed for my spare new hydraulics the engine runs fine. Everything I've read in the past suggests you can use either but for better instant performance you need to go solid lifters. Mine goes just fine! 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 20:39, Rick-Manta said:

Okay thanks guys. Back in the day, I knew of people who did just change the camshaft and subsequently were running with hydraulic lifters (didn't even change them for new). They were mild cams which still made a noticeable-by-driving difference in engine power and didn't seem to have any issues, they weren't even 'lumpy' at idle and cold start, but doesn't mean there wasn't premature wear to the cam lobes later in the cars life.

Hmph, well that's me back to square one on the head build, I was only after an extra 10bhp! :-D

Rick if your only after an extra 10 bhp,which is quite a good power gain over standard,could you not obtain the same gains from a free flowing exhaust and less a restrictive airbox

eg something like an Ashley system coupled with a K&N 57I,unless you already have that and want more additional power that is.:blink:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I'll be using a 57i (when I see one for less than £80) and the exhaust will be a custom stainless jobby, once all the underside has been welded up. If that gets me 10bhp then I'd be well 'appy :)Plus, with high octane fuel, I should be able to advance the timing enough to add a couple more too.

While I'm gradually sorting out the head, which is an unleaded one that needs a bit of returning due to rust in storage, I thought to buy one of those drill attachment grinding/polishing kits. Ported, polished, mild lift, exhaust, K&N.. I should easily be on target.

Thanks for the replies

*refurbing