Rothmans Ascona 400R

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 19:34, Monaco Blue said:

Indeed not!  However at £22K I don't think it will be moving on any time soon. 

The seller could be just testing the current market place to be fair,although I think it has been offered for sale before now.

Open to offers so may be able to bag it for 20k or less depending on interest:)...its fair to say its had a ground up proper full rebuild and that would surely cost a lot more than he his asking if done by a pro outfit:unsure:

• Like 1

Parked beside this yesterday, yes for sale, know this car from build date, actually got involved in the graphics livery! The colours are paint not vinyl! Worked of a 1.18 manta! Lol,

Anyway, why would a fivestud make any difference, its not a real one, and never will be, and if it was, it would have 4 times the tag on it, 

Oh btw it sold three times since original owner, who built it, climbing in value, price, each time. Nice car! 

15 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Anyway, why would a fivestud make any difference, its not a real one, and never will be, and if it was, it would have 4 times the tag on it, 

Oh btw it sold three times since original owner, who built it, climbing in value, price, each time. Nice car! 

Your absolutely right it never will be  the genuine article,but it sure as hell is an outstanding effort at being so.

As for the five stud thing,for me its just adds to the illusion of the genuine article..i may have ocd lol,....does not make or break the overall appearance of car at all.

Not very often you see a two door scone come up for sale let alone a works rep.:wub:

• Like 1

Know it very well, if it doesnt have ronals, or impossible to find 5 stud revs, again, this will only drive the price up , 30k anyone? 

Where does it stop, five linked! Then the redtop problem, then the fact that it aint a original, 

Anyway, was never that into asconas, weird but true, just second to the sleaker manta, but it is a nice car,

would rather have a similar spec chevette, hsr rep, 4 studs and a redtop, maybe andrews colours

Lovely car ! Colours painted on impresses me , god knows how much time and effort that  would have taken .  Price looks fair to me, considering what it costs to restore a standard car without mods .everybit as good as a genuine 400 without the price tag . Not many people are bothered with detail when they see my 400r manta. I imagine it would be the same seeing a pretty unique car like the Ascona. It’s a 2 door ascona in the best livery imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Does look terrific! I would certainly have considered this coupe if I had seen this thread earlier, that other members could vouch for the car. Having seen another "coupe" which I realised was actually a 4 door which had been converted, I'm now much more wary of these "replica" Ascona 400s coming up for sale. Looks like I've missed out now, as withdrawn from sale.

.... and I have a Commodore B spares car that I could have used the 5 studs from as well! Damn! :-(

Edited by opelnz
  • Like 1

Keep an eye, it sold three times in a year, so far, may be advertised again. 

I do believe that 95% of 2 dr asconas aint 2 door opel asconas. An intense ocd knowledge of chassis numbers would tell the tale. I dont believe ive seen 1 actual 2 door opel ascona! A real factory build one!

Its a bit like trying to say a 400r with five studs is infact a real one! 

Doors and b posts are changed! Quarter panel shortened. But wasnt saying that at all, was saying most are vauxhall cavalier dr with a ascona front,

so any 2 dr could be a 2dr cavalier with ascona front with 5 studs, thats not dishonest, just making a hens tooth:rolleyes:

17 hours ago, opelnz said:

Changing 4 stud to 5 stud is a choice any owner can make, whether a 400 replica or not, but cutting a 4dr Ascona to sell on as a coupe is just dishonest! >;-|

No such thing a a coupe ascona, just 2dr or 4dr saloon. Or cavalier:huh:

Saying that, i have seen a 4dr [manta], it was a cavalier or ascona 4dr shell, with a manta front, and last section of quarter panel grafter in for sloopy boot, and rear manta section, it was weird! 

This opel ascona advertised, im not saying i know what it is, as i didnt know what it was before it was painted, nor am i interested, although, i think i can hear it being test driver, every how and then!  Sounds real good

Edited by ®evo03
fingers too big! keyboard too small
  • Like 1