1981 Manta Coupe Project.

Nivlek2525

36 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Well done. I like the frontbumper, rather rare but completely time related with the B1 body. Irmscher used them also on their i2800:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Hi H,

Yes, I couldn't believe my luck when I found it. It was advertised as a gte copy in fibreglass.

This is the inspiration for the project.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ECBFWE2o9dfrMTz27

I plan on painting it starmist black, keep the chrome and using the later recaro interior. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but as I've said before, only bought a shell. There was nothing original to save.

I don't suppose I'll ever find the flared arches....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Hi H,

Yes, I couldn't believe my luck when I found it. It was advertised as a gte copy in fibreglass.

This is the inspiration for the project.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ECBFWE2o9dfrMTz27

I plan on painting it starmist black, keep the chrome and using the later recaro interior. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but as I've said before, only bought a shell. There was nothing original to save.

I don't suppose I'll ever find the flared arches....

I’m sure someone on here was selling some of those arches or posted a link to someone that was.

Have a search in parts for sale.

Just now, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I’m sure someone on here was selling some of those arches or posted a link to someone that was.

Have a search in parts for sale.

There was a set on ebay a while back but I wasn't convinced they were for a manta. All four look the same from memory.

I thought about moulding my own but I really have got enough to do.

At the rate I'm going if they turn up before 2026 they'll be time....

• Haha 1

Is this known as a irmscher kit.

Looks similar to rocket bunny kits 🚀 👯

Or some early 90s japanese import 4x4, pajero,  patrols etc

Or mk4 golfs have standard steel wide arches,  pretty impressive lookin car, as today's cars are flat.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

https://www.abwmotorsport.co.uk/product-page/mk4-golf-gti-arch-flares-3dr

Additional wide arches available.

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Is this known as a irmscher kit.

Looks similar to rocket bunny kits 🚀 👯

Or some early 90s japanese import 4x4, pajero,  patrols etc

Or mk4 golfs have standard steel wide arches,  pretty impressive lookin car, as today's cars are flat.

https://www.abwmotorsport.co.uk/product-page/mk4-golf-gti-arch-flares-3dr

Additional wide arches available.

I believe the kit in the picture I showed was by irmscher. There was a pdf of the catalogue on the forum and its in there. I think the front bumper could be used with or without the wheel arches. I've no idea if the one I have is irmscher but I've compared it with photographs and it's pretty close if not. 

The only cars I've seen it on is the i2800 from about 1978ish. Manta Dany has one and has lots of photos of the arches both on and off the car. 

If I found some period aches I'd be interested but I'm happy with or without. I think they look good on the back but not 100% sure about the front anyway. 

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

K

3 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

I believe the kit in the picture I showed was by irmscher. There was a pdf of the catalogue on the forum and its in there. I think the front bumper could be used with or without the wheel arches. I've no idea if the one I have is irmscher but I've compared it with photographs and it's pretty close if not. 

The only cars I've seen it on is the i2800 from about 1978ish. Manta Dany has one and has lots of photos of the arches both on and off the car. 

If I found some period aches I'd be interested but I'm happy with or without. I think they look good on the back but not 100% sure about the front anyway. 

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

K

http://www.mantadany.de/manta-i2800-a16-weisse-flotte/

• Like 1

Copy of an Irmscher catalogue page from the eighties:

Think I have the two front flared arches, plastic no fiberglass. Eating dust in my garage. But I can have a look around on the German internet for them. 

Edited by H-400
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, H-400 said:

Copy of an Irmscher catalogue page from the eighties:

Think I have the two front flared arches, plastic no fiberglass. Eating dust in my garage. But I can have a look around on the German internet for them. 

That's the page H. Thanks.

The bumper I have is fibreglass so probably a copy. The guy I bought it off said he had it on a cavalier years ago. So it's old and look right, but probably not genuine. 

The arches I like are the ones second from the right. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xTU3PFcNtukczvyB7

If you have some you want to sell then please let me know. Also, if any do come up then please point them out.  I've a long way to go yet so no rush.

K.

Some more info:

http://www.mantab.de/www.mantab.de/cms/front_contentcc5c.html?idcat=113

If you open this link you'll find a lot of info on this German website. What is important for you Kelvin, you'll see the picture of the red front bumper and the red text says the first versions were made of rather soft plastic but the grill was a part of it. Later they made a second version of "GFK" (fiberglass) with a detachable grill. So your frontbumper can be original!

The German text between the picture of the flared arches (radlauf): Some i2800 flares were made by Zender but are identical as the Irmscher ones, they have the Zender ID partnumbers. Those are the ones I'v got:

As I wrote above: I'v got only the front ones, they are in good condition and made of black plastic. They are gathering dust for about 30 years so if I can help you with those two you just pay me the postage and I'll be happy they are usefull.

Grts!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Some more info:

http://www.mantab.de/www.mantab.de/cms/front_contentcc5c.html?idcat=113

If you open this link you'll find a lot of info on this German website. What is important for you Kelvin, you'll see the picture of the red front bumper and the red text says the first versions were made of rather soft plastic but the grill was a part of it. Later they made a second version of "GFK" (fiberglass) with a detachable grill. So your frontbumper can be original!

The German text between the picture of the flared arches (radlauf): Some i2800 flares were made by Zender but are identical as the Irmscher ones, they have the Zender ID partnumbers. Those are the ones I'v got:

As I wrote above: I'v got only the front ones, they are in good condition and made of black plastic. They are gathering dust for about 30 years so if I can help you with those two you just pay me the postage and I'll be happy they are usefull.

Grts!

Herman 

Thanks very much for the additional information. Perhaps I got very lucky with my bumper. Great website as well.  I'll look at the bumper and see if I can see any markings on it to try to confirm.

Thanks also for the offer of the arches. That's very kind of you and very much appreciate.  Can I give you something for them or make a donation to charity for you?

I'll send you a pm with my details and send whatever you need for postage etc.

Thanks again, you're a gentleman!

Cheers

Kelvin.

19 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Hi Jonathan, 

Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure actually.  The advert appears to be for 2 archesIot 4 I think. The ones shown are on the rear of the car, which would be great....but they  aren't the same as the i2800 ones. Wrong shape. 

Interestingly the part number shown is the irmscher number for the front arches which don't appear to be advertised. 

I might try to contact them via Google translate and see what's actually on offer but if its just the rear arches shown then I'm not convinced they are right.

As Wayne Carini says....its all about the chase.

Cheers

K.

4 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Should get this kit cloned, I can see those been quite popular 😎👍

For someone who knows what they are doing it would probably be quite easy to copy in fibreglass. 

Or even scan and print these days...but that's beyond me.

5 minutes ago, Nivlek2525 said:

Hi Jonathan, 

Thanks for the link.

I'm not sure actually.  The advert appears to be for 2 archesIot 4 I think. The ones shown are on the rear of the car, which would be great....but they  aren't the same as the i2800 ones. Wrong shape. 

Interestingly the part number shown is the irmscher number for the front arches which don't appear to be advertised. 

I might try to contact them via Google translate and see what's actually on offer but if its just the rear arches shown then I'm not convinced they are right.

As Wayne Carini says....its all about the chase.

Cheers

K.

For someone who knows what they are doing it would probably be quite easy to copy in fibreglass. 

Or even scan and print these days...but that's beyond me.

Don’t bother with google translate. In my experience as soon as they realise you're English they will message you in English anyway 😀

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Don’t bother with google translate. In my experience as soon as they realise you're English they will message you in English anyway 😀

I always feel like I should at least try.

I work with Norwegians and I'm always embarrassed at how excellent their English is and how I can barely manage a word of Norwegian.......

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

It’s true y though. I always try to make en effort when working away, but they do like to practice English on you. I feel so guilty at times. 

• Like 3

Looked also at that Ebay add. The picture of the rear one showed is indeed a rather big one. But on the bottom of the add he writes in Dutch it is only the front two he sells as I have. And the tel. Number is from Holland. 

Most people on the continental have a good basic of the English language. But not the French speaking Belgians and the French. They speak only French😁. Our Flemish language is a dialect of Dutch, so we understand Dutch but when I speak Flemish with my wife I see those friends of the Dutch Manta Club looking at us with big rabbit eyes making question marks😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, H-400 said:

Looked also at that Ebay add. The picture of the rear one showed is indeed a rather big one. But on the bottom of the add he writes in Dutch it is only the front two he sells as I have. And the tel. Number is from Holland. 

Most people on the continental have a good basic of the English language. But not the French speaking Belgians and the French. They speak only French😁. Our Flemish language is a dialect of Dutch, so we understand Dutch but when I speak Flemish with my wife I see those friends of the Dutch Manta Club looking at us with big rabbit eyes making question marks😂

We should all be speaking Esperanto really!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...