5 speed gearbox oil change suprise.

hoobby

Just drained out the gearbox to find well under 1.1 litres of black narsty oil as the main rush died off hear a loud bang from drain pan and found this tell me it's supposed to do that.IMG_20190622_200220.thumb.jpg.41e2b7e1e4c916ca45ef4f1c5321248d.jpgIMG_20190622_200209.thumb.jpg.6f3c35f148543ee9b4b9cbbdc02d19de.jpgjust found out its an oil catch pipe and no it's not supposed to do that 1561237016651-1652978495.thumb.jpg.4b416b810ea1b5c84269384b3731600c.jpg20160126_193413_resized_1_zpsqa4pcl1v.jpg.48f289ff2d33950c4ff4897b4db6b989.jpg

Edited by hoobby
Eureka!.

IMG_20190622_221611.thumb.jpg.f990d97d765c938b842888af4770de2c.jpgHi Ian told you she was ticked off.cheers Andy if you could have a look see what you think.that was the same forum I found I think it's purpose is to catch the oil flicking off the gear cogs and drips down onto them again (can you check its not feeding an oil way) or to fall off and try and destroy the gearbox think I dodged a bullet there.close but no cigar.oh yeah the oil that came out had a high viscosity and the unmistakable smell of ep oil.

Edited by hoobby
Ep oil

So after digging around on this site (opelgt) found out this tube ( internal speedometer gear oil transfer tube) is to ensure oil gets to the Speedo drive gear as the tube is made of steel (press fitted) and the casing is aluminium they expand at different rates so has a habit of falling out.any one with a five speed box I would advise looking into this Google search "getrag vibration" site name opelgt.page 1&2 there is a fix for this with pic's but text is in german.from what I can work out it's just a bit of over engineering with poor foresight.

Edited by hoobby

Thanks for highlighting this problem / links where to find more info.

First time I've herd about, this oil tube falling out problem.  Anyone else come across this before?

My standard 1.8ltr Manta 5 speed gearbox , has not been fitted in the car yet, so my be worth me securing this tube in place.

Looks like it is possible to drill, tap a small M4 thread and insert the securing bolt, without taking the gearbox apart?

20160126_192249_resized_1_zpscelb8la4.jp

20160126_195932_resized_1_zps0qk43jjj.jp

getragoiltube345.jpg

Edited by Manta Mal
  • Like 2

ok, got some pics for you. The pics that manta mal has (the German ones) are with the back end of the box with all internals removed as the pipe locates (looking into the box with the shifter on top) to the left and right into the casing. So you might have fun relocating the pipe with the box complete and just the front casing off. I have loaded a whole lot of pics on my blog as i have the back part of a box as a spare. Its quite hard to see from the pics as its hard to photograph, i used a torch so hopefully you get the idea.

http://www.theopelproject.com/?p=1779

Its quite easy to strip the box down, had mine apart a few times and the only hard bit is when you locate the bell housing back on its a real fiddle to locate the 3 selector shafts (top right) back into the box locations and helps if there are 2 of you and you just take your time, dont force it and jiggle them back in. You can see the holes they locate in from this pic (top left on the view as you look in.

if you need some more pics let me know as i might be able to remove the gears and get a better look at it from inside.

Andy

spacer.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Manta Mal said:

Thanks for highlighting this problem / links where to find more info.

First time I've herd about, this oil tube falling out problem.  Anyone else come across this before?

My standard 1.8ltr Manta 5 speed gearbox , has not been fitted in the car yet, so my be worth me securing this tube in place.

Looks like it is possible to drill, tap a small M4 thread and insert the securing bolt, without taking the gearbox apart?

20160126_192249_resized_1_zpscelb8la4.jp

20160126_195932_resized_1_zps0qk43jjj.jp

getragoiltube345.jpg

Obviously looks like it could be an issue but not seen anyone having issues with it before. It looks to be in there pretty solid so not sure what would cause it to come lose. It looks pressed in there. The BMW used the same 240getrag so might be worth a bit of a search to see if any BMW forums have much on there about it coming lose before you start drilling holes in the casing!!

Another link "getrag 240 repair Facebook" this one points out the tube is vital to ensure oil gets to the rear of box will result in bearing failure which contradicts  "over engineering" I have to look at this realistically tho if they put it there must have a good reason so after mot going to strip box and refit tube with the mod new seals and gaskets while I'm in there.as pointed out not much about this problem but how many boxes out there have this tube lying in the bottom of the box I was just lucky it fell in a way it came out with the oil so Short of draining the oil out and fishing around in the bottom you'll probably won't no untill you strip the box down... probably because the bearing is shot...just a thought.

• Like 2

This is a great topic, again learned something . So thanks Hooby! Think the pipe is important, if those Germans fit it in the box it must be.  Going to open my box also before I fit it in my car, just to be sure. Must order ofcourse some gaskets at Thomas his webshop first, or at our local BMW dealer...

• 2 months later...

Hmmm while checking the new brake lines for leaks my second surprise gearbox now making a slight droning sound disappears with clutch dipped so input bearing worn? didn't make this sound with ep90 maybe put in there to mask the noise?.

I know they always recommended using the proper GM oil in the 5 speed. Not sure if maybe ep90 is thicker and would mask the noise?

Mine was like that and i swapped the bearing (quite and easy job to do from what i remember, but that was a while ago!!) and that sorted all the problems out.

did you get the pipe sorted out?

Andy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 611 said:

I know they always recommended using the proper GM oil in the 5 speed. Not sure if maybe ep90 is thicker and would mask the noise?

Mine was like that and i swapped the bearing (quite and easy job to do from what i remember, but that was a while ago!!) and that sorted all the problems out.

did you get the pipe sorted out?

Andy

Ok cheers haven't refitted the pipe it's still in the bottom of my freezer  as want to get a mot and give it a run to see how it feels and sounds then going to drop and strip box down it's leaking from the rear casing join and front seal would explain the lack of oil in it.have seen a couple of YouTube videos in Russian not sure about some of there methods tho :o.

15 hours ago, hoobby said:

Ok cheers haven't refitted the pipe it's still in the bottom of my freezer  as want to get a mot and give it a run to see how it feels and sounds then going to drop and strip box down it's leaking from the rear casing join and front seal would explain the lack of oil in it.have seen a couple of YouTube videos in Russian not sure about some of there methods tho :o.

If you still have to strip it then you can do the bearing at the same time. you might just be able to relocate the tube back in without having to do one of those drilling and screwing options? it might just locktite back in place?

its not a hard job to strip the box, will also let you check everything else over to make sure nothing else has been damaged by the pipe. just get someone to give you a had when putting it back together and take it slowly.