Manta A brake upgrade

Rubn

The later Manta A had the same larger discs and calipers as the early B. I have a set on my car and they fit, but I have been told that they can sometimes foul the standard wheels, mine are fine though. What age is your car?

10 hours ago, 1900SR said:

The later Manta A had the same larger discs and calipers as the early B. I have a set on my car and they fit, but I have been told that they can sometimes foul the standard wheels, mine are fine though. What age is your car?

It is a 72 mod

2 hours ago, 1900SR said:

You'll have the 238mm discs as standard then, the later models had 246mm discs, not sure how much difference it really makes to the stopping power though.

Yes, I was wondering if the manta b calipers was going to bolt on to my a-model without any machining. 

But if the later manta a has the same discs and calipers as the early manta b, i could fit the larger discs and calipers from a  manta a ?

You should be able to, as far as I know the early B twin pot calipers are the same as the late A. My 73 car has been retro-fitted with the bigger discs and later calipers, not sure if they were late A or early B though, I think A as the guy I got them from had upgraded the brakes on his N reg A, and I think mine were his original calipers.

I see Dr Manta lists a 246mm vented disc for Irmscher braking systems on the A and B, not sure what calipers you'd need for these though http://dr-manta-shop.de/epages/0859c4be-b99b-4b88-8216-6a78b07dc4b5.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/0859c4be-b99b-4b88-8216-6a78b07dc4b5/Products/01340002a

Edited by 1900SR
Additional info

Rekord/Carlton 2.2 discs and calipers fit under 13 inch ats classics no problem that is what is on my ascona a.

I used ds2500 pads though bit aggressive for standard road use. 

Calipers can be hard to find but are there on eBay if you look. 

I fitted Rekord/Carlton calipers on non-vented 246 discs, and DS2500 pads, under standard 13" Rostyles. I find them great, I'm long past any boyracer antics, but for occasional 'spirited' driving, they are great.

There was a thread on here somewhere, guy used the Astra caliper/Audi disc combination under 13" ATS on an A-series, which gives 256mm discs.

Edited by moodoo

If you fit the solid 246 discs there are quite a lot of new Carlton calipers for those discs on eBay at bargain prices. As above use ferodo ds2500 pads or mintex equivalent don't fit cheap pads. 

Tried first an alu rim but touches the caliper, then a steel rim but also touches the caliper. This is a pic of the caliper/vented disc:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The Rekord 2.2E caliper is wide on the top, thats where it touches the rims. So this set-up will not work. Maybe someone tried the vented discs with another set of calipers?

On 07/11/2019 at 17:19, H-400 said:

Tried first an alu rim but touches the caliper, then a steel rim but also touches the caliper. This is a pic of the caliper/vented disc:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

The Rekord 2.2E caliper is wide on the top, thats where it touches the rims. So this set-up will not work. Maybe someone tried the vented discs with another set of calipers?

Strange I have same setup and ats alloys no problems miss by a mile. 

Will check the ET on the rims, always possible the ET is too high and than indeed you can have a different result. 

And yet we are an hour later: The alu rim is 13x5-1/2   and ET 38. So a narrow rim and a rather high ET, more used on a frontwheel driven car.

Probably that's why they touch the caliper...

Edited by H-400

4 hours ago, H-400 said:

Will check the ET on the rims, always possible the ET is too high and than indeed you can have a different result. 

And yet we are an hour later: The alu rim is 13x5-1/2   and ET 38. So a narrow rim and a rather high ET, more used on a frontwheel driven car.

Probably that's why they touch the caliper...

The original steels are 13x5 1/2 ET37, but I believe the factory ATS for the B were 13x6 ET30.