Speedo cable test

hoobby

If I raise the rear wheels off the ground in neutral and rotate one wheel the speedo cable should turn? Because it doesn't tried rotating the cable at speedo end and just winds up like a spring like its seized or connected to the gearbox drive.

Edited by hoobby

silly but obvious question. you have just lifted one wheel off the floor and rotated it ? ( or made sure only one wheel is turning ) hence propshaft as well

realy sorry if ive insulted your intelligence 

but

if you disconnect gearbox end all will be revealed anyway !

3 hours ago, hoobby said:

If I raise the rear wheels off the ground in neutral and rotate one wheel the speedo cable should turn? Because it doesn't tried rotating the cable at speedo end and just winds up like a spring like its seized or connected to the gearbox drive.

No, the diff will just spin the opp wheel. The gear drive comes off the output of gearbox, so you will damage the cable if it’s connected at gearbox end and you just try to turn it at the speedometer connection. 
if you want to disconnect it at gearbox and speedometer it should turn with little resistance. You can also connect it up at speedometer end and carefully spin the gearbox drive end with a drill, that will then operate the speedometer.

Hi ya. 

What about  putting the  car on a decent  pair of stands on level  ground  and drive it as normal  to see if speedo is working. 

Did it in mine the other day  after  putting  gearbox  back in. 

Got up to  50mph going  through the  gears..😂

Good fun 👍

1 hour ago, Jessopia74 said:

No, the diff will just spin the opp wheel. The gear drive comes off the output of gearbox, so you will damage the cable if it’s connected at gearbox end and you just try to turn it at the speedometer connection. 
if you want to disconnect it at gearbox and speedometer it should turn with little resistance. You can also connect it up at speedometer end and carefully spin the gearbox drive end with a drill, that will then operate the speedometer.

OK thanks yes I got it wrong way round.

13 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Hi ya. 

What about  putting the  car on a decent  pair of stands on level  ground  and drive it as normal  to see if speedo is working. 

Good fun 👍

Yes! I like this idea has an element of danger to it :o plus probably OK always had trouble connecting the cable behind dash think I've got it In properly now will find out tomorrow

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Hi ya. 

Good fun 👍

Done this several times, no problem. 

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:
5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Away you  go

I hope that was just a figure of speech but seriously have no probs with doing this done it before myself.

• Like 1

It wasn't  anything  personal. 

Just replying to  another  members  opinion. 

Chill for fuck sake. 

Is isolation  taking  its toll..🤪

Just trying to  help you  move  forward with your  car and  any snags.

Dont know  why I bother. 

Good luck with your  shed.

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

It wasn't  anything  personal. 

Just replying to  another  members  opinion. 

Chill for fuck sake. 

Is isolation  taking  its toll..🤪

Just trying to  help you  move  forward with your  car and  any snags.

Dont know  why I bother. 

Good luck with your  shed.

just trying to have a bit of fun with words sorry if you took it the wrong way i have a dry cheeky wit :D  and yes i have offended a few people in my life but always felt bad about it after like now :(. "i'll get me coat"

• Haha 1