"400" repair

H-400

• 2 months later...

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Sometimes we need to think "out of the box" , in this case into the box!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

So why all those plastic stuff? Just to check the welding seems don't leak. (and yes it did, more welding)

Everything is back under the car, went to the MOT station and again MOT'd for 2 years. 

• Like 3

Still had to do some extra km's to run the engine in, so we went to Holland, just over the border to a Manta meeting of the Dutch Mantaclub. Took a few pics:

We drove a tour with these guys and when we were back home the engine had his first 1000km's. It was also a good test, it was very hot, the oilcooler is still not connected but no oil leaks, nice oilpressure.

Have a nice Sunday, Herman

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Finally the "400" has got his 1000km's run in. Noticed the other day suddenly the engine had loss of power above 3500rpm's 😲...Checked my spark plugs and they look dark brown (too rich) so after cleaning them I checked also the inside of the dizzy cap etc... Was going to set the AFM leaner and then I saw the plug was only clicked in at one side, the metal clips was not clicked in at the other side. My fault. After setting the AFM a bit leaner I tried and the engine runs again nice in the higher rpm's. 

Engine was hot, oil out and decent oil in with a new filter. Also reconnected the oil cooler, disconnected because I don't want any metal residu's sticking into the core. 

Have all a nice weekend, grts.

• Like 6

Hi Jess, found a lot on internet. Years ago it began with a US volkswagen website. Those older VW's had L-jetronic in the US and while surfing on the internet I found some info about those AFM's. Yet you can find a lot on Youtube.

Took the "400" out today because it is warm. Wanted to be sure the oil cooler works as also the thermostatic valve. Engine runs nice up into the higher rpm's . A bit of a stuttering at 2000rpm's but the car had this for years, think the carbon in the AFM had it's best so need to move the needle a bit. 

• Like 2