MOT FLUNKED ON EMISSIONS. CO OK, HC 3073 ppm.

Troubled Taff

Not good! HC is unburnt fuel, the car has been standing a while, but starts and seems to drive ok. Any advice please? Timing, plugs, super unleaded, should I drop in some Redex and give it another go? Or the infamous AFM, should I take a screwdriver or allan key to that? Any direction would be gratefully accepted. THX. Anyone know someone with an old Crypton Tumer?

One more but of info, I've had the engine out and replaced the the head and dump baskets and the front and rear crank seals. So, the engine has only done 120 miles since last MOT. Then the HC reading was 139, yes 139 ppm. Strange things are afoot here !

I'm going to try some Redex and a long drive. I'll take the plugs out and give them a clean, change the air filter and oil. As there was such a difference without the car being used  it can't be much, the AFM must be ok if hasn't, been in use. I am suspecting it might be ignition timing, as the head was off that may be out but my old strobe light has it spot on. I hope to take it back next week and I was hoping someone has something difinative. Thanks for the offer of the AGM I appreciate that. Thanks but I'll try the other stuff and cross my fingers. Otherwise I'll be looking for a Crypton Tuner in Hampshire. Anyone know one?

If the car has been sitting, it’s not much hassle & might help so I’d be apt to go over the electrical connections & squirt a little contact cleaner in the blue temp plug & insert & disconnect a couple of times. 
Same with the AFM plug. 
There’s an Earth on the rear of the inlet manifold that may benefit from a rub with 240emery too. 

There’s also ye olde air-leaks possibly that can throw the injection out too. Easy-start seems to be a favourite to help detect those. 

2 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Had this recently, but with a carb! Stuipidly it was petrol that was in the car for sometime, approx two yrs, emissions where of the scale on takeover, a bit of driving, and a refill or a few, and fixed, easy fix! 

That’s interesting, did it start ok & feel fairly normal to drive?

Drive it for a while to use the juice up, before refilling, was running outta time to use, so went ahead with mot, thats when it went wrong, right outside mot door, turned a blind eye, so it passed, it did drive normal but wouldnt tick over, a fill of juice cured it !  Weird, think yours might be an air leak!