Ebay: 1980 Cavalier 2.0 GLS Sportshatch up for grabs

im not sure the vynil roof was standard gm on the sportshatch even in gls trim like it was on the saloon.never seen one in the flesh or brochures.

and i agree.it totally spoils it. which is strange (possibly the shape and the bare tailgate) because 4 door saloons or coupes with a vynil look superb.as did viva gls's.

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

if its as good in the usual areas as the headlight area then it will definately be a good purchase. loose the vinyl covering. sort out the rear dent and it 'might' not even needs much paint ?

looks unmessed with (uprated suspension? and webber excluded !)

Iirc all the auto cars got Webber carbs ?

Mine had a Weber on it but suspect had been upgraded by a past owner, now has a new Weber on it!

The GM workshop manuals show a Varijet.

First job on any car I bought in the 80’s/90’s was bin the Varijet/Solex/Pierburg and fit a Weber, although a mate of mine did fit a Nikki with a nice little window showing the fuel level in the float chamber - why?

Gave us a few laughs though “hey Martin stop the car so we can check the fuel level” 😂 

• Like 1

Don't forget Weber conversions were very popular on near new cars (only 1 year warranty then) and I believe some dealers offered them as an option anyway. Ford and GM "auto choke" carbs were temperamental and often the source of complaint. My grandad bought a new 1982 Fiesta and it was swapped with a Weber on its first service at Ford. I ran a Manta 1.8S as a daily driver for a few years, with a varijet 2. It was better than its predecessor, but would still stall cold and then idle at 2000 rpm the next minute, unless you kept tapping the throttle to readjust it--defeating the object of an auto choke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure it did too, but not 100%. I had an exclusive with a Weber DTML and some claimed it was original to the car, but I always doubted it. However I noticed on later Mantas, there's a factory choke mounting point on the left side of the steering column (opposite side to rear wash/wipe on the hatch) and that was the "official" place to have the choke cable handle, but unless you removed that lower plastic strip, you wouldn't ever see it. When I first worked on an early B, I removed the dash plastics and the metal choke point wasn't there, so someone at GM did think to add them later.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rick-Manta said:

I'm pretty sure it did too, but not 100%. I had an exclusive with a Weber DTML and some claimed it was original to the car, but I always doubted it. However I noticed on later Mantas, there's a factory choke mounting point on the left side of the steering column (opposite side to rear wash/wipe on the hatch) and that was the "official" place to have the choke cable handle, but unless you removed that lower plastic strip, you wouldn't ever see it. When I first worked on an early B, I removed the dash plastics and the metal choke point wasn't there, so someone at GM did think to add them later.

Good point about choke too

• Like 1