Errr.....bit of help

C553LFR

Hello,

After many years I have started on getting my GTE back on the road, its running and moving about a bit under its own steam and its not too bad at all. We when I say not too bad at all.........

I need a few bits and last time it was quite easy to get stuff but it seems less so now. If anyone can help with the following (happy to pay don't want freebies) I would be really grateful.

• Water pump
  • Fuel pump
  • Brake linings
  • Front disks
  • Wheel cylinders and adjusters rear
  • Handbrake cable
  • Clutch cable
  • Rear anti roll bar drops
  • Service kit - filters etc
  • anti roll bar bushes - any any other bushes you have
  • springs x 4
  • under bonnet hoses
  • gas strut for hatch
  • wiper blades
  • repair panels for the rear corners (hatch)
  • Front chassis leg 
  • Do you know anyone who has made/can make a repair for the following edge of the sunroof aperture 

I actually don't think this is a bad list if I could just find the parts!

I would be very grateful for any help or pointers 🙂

• Like 1

Most of those are available new or used parts for sure.

https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/categories.php?cat=1764 Have some good repair panels, along with a few other parts for your car.

Waterpump https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222420485663

Fuel Pump (any good quality type 044 ) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394469390658

Are you looking to Lower the car, or retain the std GTE ride ?

18 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

https://www.tjmotorsport.co.uk/categories.php?cat=1764 Have some good repair panels, along with a few other parts for your car.

Not sure about that fuel pump - mine is incredibly noisy - all the time, not just when primming?

Save some searches on eBay as some of the things you are after only pop up infrequently and if it’s a”buy it now” sale someone may beat you to it. Glad to hear you are determined to get it sorted and look forward to following your progress. As people have said in the past recording your endeavours on here will get you lots of feedback and that will keep you motivated. It’s also nice to look back at what you have already achieved, when you think nothing’s progressing.

• Like 1

yes most of that list are still freely available on ebay.the hoses are a little rarer thou but usually pretty good quality as originals and i woudnt replace any just for the sake of it as some aftermarket stuff isntas long lasting especially rubber components nowadays !

21 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Thanks that's really helpful water pump and fuel pump ordered! I think standard ride height due to all the speed bumps and pot holes where I live

2 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

Not sure about that fuel pump - mine is incredibly noisy - all the time, not just when primming?

Save some searches on eBay as some of the things you are after only pop up infrequently and if it’s a”buy it now” sale someone may beat you to it. Glad to hear you are determined to get it sorted and look forward to following your progress. As people have said in the past recording your endeavours on here will get you lots of feedback and that will keep you motivated. It’s also nice to look back at what you have already achieved, when you think nothing’s progressing.

On the fuel pump I would go with noisy but its completely had it sadly 

Started with e bay searches and found some more bits already - thanks for the motivation/kind words its appreciated 

32 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

yes most of that list are still freely available on ebay.the hoses are a little rarer thou but usually pretty good quality as originals and i woudnt replace any just for the sake of it as some aftermarket stuff isntas long lasting especially rubber components nowadays !

The hoses are all original and not looking good so I think I will try to replace - you are right about newer stuff with quality!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C553LFR said:

Thanks that's really helpful water pump and fuel pump ordered! I think standard ride height due to all the speed bumps and pot holes where I live

On the fuel pump I would go with noisy but its completely had it sadly 

Started with e bay searches and found some more bits already - thanks for the motivation/kind words its appreciated 

The hoses are all original and not looking good so I think I will try to replace - you are right about newer stuff with quality!

I hope you are happy with the fuel pump when it arrives and I hope it’s nice and quiet. Please let me know when you receive yours as it may turn out mine is a dud! I have heard that pump noise cand be suppressed by pulsing the current? Apparently there is a setting in the ecu to permit this 🤷‍♂️. I’d be interested to know if this is BS.

6 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I hope you are happy with the fuel pump when it arrives and I hope it’s nice and quiet. Please let me know when you receive yours as it may turn out mine is a dud! I have heard that pump noise cand be suppressed by pulsing the current? Apparently there is a setting in the ecu to permit this 🤷‍♂️. I’d be interested to know if this is BS.

The GTE ecu, is not really an ECU as by todays standards, it’s more like an Analogue pulse generator (injector).
The Fuel Pump is controlled by the Relay. And this relay is engaged by a Tach pulse from the electronic Ignition that is a completely separate system to the LE Jetronic ‘ECU’ 

• Like 2

Brake linings (shoes and pads) rear wheel cylinders, filters and wipers are all available from a local motor factors. Even GSF will get them for you. But you will need to either ring them or pop in to talk to them. Their website likely won't list the parts but they can be gotten in. I've had rear cylinders from my local GSF many times.

They might also be able to source you front disks and handbrake cable, can't say i've ordered either from them but worth an ask. They used to be able to supply the front anti roll bar drop links, bushes/tube and bolt as a set. Probably still can but again not something i've ordered in a long time.

Rear antiroll bar drop link bushes are the same as Omega rear arb bushes from memory. I have a part number somewhere if i can find it. You'll need to retain the metal plates that hold them.

Rear tailgate struts can be replaced with used Rover 200 hatch struts, they are slightly more powerful but ensure you don't get smacked in the back of the head when not paying attention.

1 hour ago, mantasrme said:

Brake linings (shoes and pads) rear wheel cylinders, filters and wipers are all available from a local motor factors. Even GSF will get them for you. But you will need to either ring them or pop in to talk to them. Their website likely won't list the parts but they can be gotten in. I've had rear cylinders from my local GSF many times.

They might also be able to source you front disks and handbrake cable, can't say i've ordered either from them but worth an ask. They used to be able to supply the front anti roll bar drop links, bushes/tube and bolt as a set. Probably still can but again not something i've ordered in a long time.

Rear antiroll bar drop link bushes are the same as Omega rear arb bushes from memory. I have a part number somewhere if i can find it. You'll need to retain the metal plates that hold them.

Rear tailgate struts can be replaced with used Rover 200 hatch struts, they are slightly more powerful but ensure you don't get smacked in the back of the head when not paying attention.

Thanks for that its super helpful.

I have found that Autodoc has lots of part listed so I am just doing some price comparisons. The part number would be helpful if you have it.

I am not paying attention a lot usually so thanks for the warning 😉

On 16/07/2023 at 02:12, Jessopia74 said:

The GTE ecu, is not really an ECU as by todays standards, it’s more like an Analogue pulse generator (injector).
The Fuel Pump is controlled by the Relay. And this relay is engaged by a Tach pulse from the electronic Ignition that is a completely separate system to the LE Jetronic ‘ECU’ 

exactly.. so were not sure who said it could be "pulsed" or what that even actually would acheive /means ? ? .the pump runs,pressure is generated,regulator sends rest back to tank .simples !.

there are many genuine bosch pumps around for sale and many 'copies' that look virtually identical ? ? maybee theyre noisier ?

these pumps however are quite audible anyway especially from outside the car as theyre an external pump rather than the more silent in-tank units nowadays so depends on what is classed as noisy.

is it on its proper rubber mounts ?

19 hours ago, Jessopia74 said:

Genuine Bosch pumps are now rare and commanding top $$. The 200 series is supposedly the replacement, but is also quite a chunk of change and very overkill for a LE-Jetronic system’s requirements 😎

You’re not wrong! I thought I would get a genuine Bosch pump until I searched eBay;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165395297037?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=YFsJgTc4R8q&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=GJ2Qb-ssS3-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Walbro are very well regarded. All are pretty much copies of the Bosch tbh, but obviously the tolerance/quality of part choice will be lower, so life span and maximum flow would be questionable. 
As the Fuel requirements of the GTE are pretty low by modern standards, they will not be working to hard to maintain the pressure as a high flow rate anyway. 

This is a good price tbh as they usually go for far more.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/1156477

On 15/07/2023 at 19:49, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I wonder if someone had mixed up memories of the old Fuel Pulse Damper which lots of cars had on the older injection systems? Most people bypassed them with no ill effects when they got clogged or rusted. I’ve no idea if they helped with noise though. 

As far as the fuel pump goes, I’ve done almost 10K on one of these, not a Bosch & screw terminals but does the job fine. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304880654583

Edited by Trooker
  • Like 1