Rubber Bushing Set

mepbowles

Hey all 

I really like the ride of my Cavalier but want to get the suspension refurbed (painted not powder coating). Does anyone sell original style rubber bushings or can they be removed and refitted without damaging them (doubtful).

I've seen the powerflex ones and polybushes but I've heard they're all much harder than original and I love the soft boat like driving experience (albeit not on the rostyles any more).

Any ideas... Or am I being silly for wanting original?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, GTEPETE said:

What paint are you planning to use? for the best long term finish really needs a sandblast first...

My original plan was to strip a load of parts and send them to local sandblaster for blasting and zinc+topcoat, or do a zinc epoxy topcoat, clear stone chip and lanoguard. But this will likely mean the original bushings are malformed during removal right so not ideal.

Cam in head has suggested using a bath of deox-c to strip the rust without damaging the bushings and then I could proceed as above. 

As a third, less preferable alternative, i could sand blast it myself but I'm sure the mess would be considerable.

Edited by mepbowles

Think some of the original bushes can be pressed out, some not. 

You can buy industrial strength molasses, from farm suppliers.

It is natural sugar, bushes are not affected.

It's my gentle way of bringing steel items back to new, without damaging.

I also use Screwfix paint stripper before hand, environmental safe, and the best Ive used in a long time.

It's more hassle for me to get things sand, media, vapour blasted. Also I don't like the surface, above is gentle and non abrasive.

It's a long time consuming process and a bit of hard work. 

YouTube molasses rust treatment. 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Thanks 1