Radiomobile AKB710 stereo issues tape deck

JonnyD

Project ticking along and glad I have a friend handy with wiring. But currently stumped as where to get a cassette radio head unit that will fit my Manta GTE 1987 due to the shallow space in dash. 

Car came with the Radiomobile AKB710 and even out of the car it will not come to life. I bought a AKB760 from eBay. Unfortunately it did not power up either. And it is a little too deep. 

is there a secret to testing these on the bench? 

images attached of what I have. Insides are of the AKB710

anyone any knowledge of repairing these or alternatives?

as always thanks!! JD

0B7B1FAE-6EDE-4032-85F9-87071E5F3B03.jpeg

959F18F2-F58F-43A7-A802-C98177A49D31.jpeg

964EAF3D-8876-4B08-84A9-0F1E2C93B13A.jpeg

Google close to you, there should be a few old boys still doing analogue Audi repairs, more than likely bench engineer (I.e HAM radio) who will easily be able to fix that for you.

Call the local college is another option, they usually have electronics tutors who repairs on the side 

• Thanks 1

for a basic bench test you will need a 12 supply or battery and connect as listed on the label ( cant quite see it clearly) but usually casing metal and /or a black lead would be neg and the positive red . other colours may be positive too and may need feeding too especially if they are a memory feed but check label as i said.

some but not all may have a fuse in the back, some have an inline one. 

you can think about speaker connections if you get the units  to power up . if they do !

otherwise any local tv repair shop ( not a phone repair shop !) mat take a look or there are plenty of ICE shops around . 

as regards fitment the deeper units were accomodated by having a front shroud which brought the front out by an inch so pretty much anything can be used . there are single din versions of the shroud and also older ' double knob' types around ( but rarer)   also there are some modern 'retro look' units on ebay which are basically a radio with usb input .

Plenty like this around if you don't mind something modern.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196162179382?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=-y4h6ixlsgy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=s6tm7DJNRhi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

Sometimes original units crop up which have been modified to take a mp3 via a auxiliary input.

Do you have a voltmeter? Few continuity tests you can do to start with. Any inline fuse, then internal fuse too, next take a look at the Capacitors, anything bulging is usually a red flag, plenty on here with more experience than I no doubt but on older kit it is often the simple stuff like a dry joint, check where the power goes to the board first for dry joints also check you are seeing volts there first.

there was probably an inline fuse in the wiring then so not to worry about nowfor testing purposes.

so ... if you power it up ( as req) what happens ?  no lights or tape movement .ie totally dead ? 

has it been working before ?  its unusual for 2 units to be randomly totallydead ?

Correct on the weird on two units. Just there now instead of connecting the red power feed wire to the positive of battery, I connected the orange electric aerial feed to the positive and ground to negative if battery and it powered up. 
same on both units. Red wire must be for something. 
the journey continues. 

• Like 1

yes it can vary with different makes . red yellow or orange usually live . so if it powers up now you may be ok . the label will confirm wire colours thou blue is often electric ariel ?    sounds like it could be an issue with the on/off switch especially as it powers up after the switch ?

anyway try it with  some speakers connected or back in the car . worth cleaning the tape head and rollers etc whilst its apart ?

Edited by cam.in.head
additions