1976 B series coupe. General work continues “project zero”

Sutty2006

After some hammering and swearing, then more hammering and bashing, the door started to close. I had to remove the latch, as it was battered and seized. (Probably why the door was bent as who ever removed it couldn’t open it). 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

then @welder came over and we cracked open the fine precision tools and begun adjusting stuff. 

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

after much cracking, lots of “oooooooo”’s and a couple of “what was that noise?” The door started to line up. 

and eventually it fits. 

some small damaged done to the bottom of the door will hammer back out. Still a small amount of fettling to do, but I’ve put latch on from the other door so it works fine now. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Been an epic door replacement this. 

It’s not over yet! 

the rear window runner was rotten, and the rubber in the dark blue door was buggered. So I’ve had to do some swapping etc. might refit tomorrow. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Sutty2006 said:

It’s not over yet! 

the rear window runner was rotten, and the rubber in the dark blue door was buggered. So I’ve had to do some swapping etc. might refit tomorrow. 

I think I would have thrown the towel in by now, fair play, love the perseverance 😎

• Like 1

Got the day off today, so it’ll be another day of getting absolutely nowhere. I want to get the doors done and completed. Ready to use. 

passenger door runner left one is the newly built one. And the right one is the rotten one. 

top edge gone

now I’ve fitted that. The window needs adjustment. But it seams to be too short! 

as aposed to the drivers side 

may have to start bending and adjusting more. 

• Confused 1

Turns out the pretty good door cards I’ve been saving for YEARS aren’t early cards. But I’m not upset with myself. It is what it is! 

so I’ll keep these later door arms and fit them regardless. 

I fitted the steering cowl, thanks @lewis p for that 👍

it’s not a great fit. I could potentially spend another 3 hours stripping it back and trying again but I can’t be arsed. so it can stay like that for a while. 

• Like 2

I’ve now done 99% of the drivers door. 

The mirror was scrap. But the mirror on the original door was ok. So I swapped the runners over. 

only, I hit a snag. The forward facing bolts on each door once loose, something dropped into the door. 

that’s two broken runners. Both within 3 minutes 🙄

oh well. Must crack on. 

the window in the door is present albeit slightly scratched. But the locator on the rear is missing. WHY ARE THESE NEVER LYING IN THE BOTTOM?

luckily, a guy has one in stock. 

unfortunately the runner it slides into is rusty causing it to catch on its way up. So I took that out and sanded it down, then polished it. 

there we go. Snug as a bug. Chucked some sealant on that and left it there to set.

the weather strip was cleaned, and a new rubber strip out in place. 

• Like 4

so, project “zero” continues. 

I had turned it around in the garage. But that set the CO alarm off which wouldn’t shut up for 15 f**king minutes. 

still waiting for confirmation on an Amber gold bonnet. Had the perfect opportunity to swap it over today too, but alas, still waiting. It’s back in the garage now facing inwards. Next job is to raise the back end. Finish some small bits of welding then properly secure the rear bumper.

Drain and replace diff oil. Give the underside a clean and paint then that’s that but done. 

oh and guess what I found in the boot? 

that’s right! An un broken drivers front window guide! Lucky me! Add that to the list tomorrow. 

• Like 7

• Sutty2006 changed the title to 1976 B series coupe. General work continues “project zero”

Those bloody lower guides always fall off. And it’s always baffled me that I can replace a runner and put it back into exact position of original on the adjusters, and it never lines up. God I hate the faff of aligning the glass and getting it to lip into the rubbers properly 😬

• Like 1

Nice getting everything operational. Is it a dry build then paint. I know it expensive.

What I have trouble with is the cost, very very expensive, and most won't accept if you prep it to say 95%, and let them do the final 5% and walk round it with a gun spurting out paint. 🤣

But then when you get a inhouse £5k paint job with prep, with imperfections, returned back to you in the hope you won't be over obsessive with your £5k paint job. 

I'm seriously tempted running rat look, I gets more attention than any bling paint job 😉

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Nice getting everything operational. Is it a dry build then paint. I know it expensive.

What I have trouble with is the cost, very very expensive, and most won't accept if you prep it to say 95%, and let them do the final 5% and walk round it with a gun spurting out paint. 🤣

But then when you get a inhouse £5k paint job with prep, with imperfections, returned back to you in the hope you won't be over obsessive with your £5k paint job. 

I'm seriously tempted running rat look, I gets more attention than any bling paint job 😉

Yeah I will be running rat look until further into the future when I have VAST amounts of disposable income (when? No one knows 🤣) but right now I’m building it up so that I’ve got a complete car. I’ll treat any bare metal to some paint from a can and go from there. I’ve been living with the impression that I’d have a show car for years, but when you look at all the shiny ones at vboa, there’s no point. Just concentrate on getting it on the road instead. 

• Like 3

Body shops, if you where to knock off £1k of a £5k paint job, and it took them 20 hours labour, the £200 per hour. 

The 1k is being generous for running costs, materials, paint, sausage rolls, donuts, powering LED lights, and 5 litres of kerosene for the oven. 

What are they surgeons by night, painters by day.

Think I'm going to do my own. I know you pay for their experience, but they are only as good as their last job, and they don't know how good I am 🤣

Edited by ®evo03
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Body shops, if you where to knock off £1k of a £5k paint job, and it took them 20 hours labour, the £200 per hour. 

The 1k is being generous for running costs, materials, paint, sausage rolls, donuts, powering LED lights, and 5 litres of kerosene for the oven. 

What are they surgeons by night, painters by day.

Think I'm going to do my own. I know you pay for their experience, but they are only as good as their last job, and they don't know how good I am 🤣

And you are been very Generous with 20 man hours tbh 🤣

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

And you are been very Generous with 20 man hours tbh 🤣

3 hrs sausage rolls, 2 donuts, 

1 can buy all the equipment needed for less than 1k, and probably sell it after. 🤔

• Like 2

I thought 20hrs was too low too lol. 

last full paint job I had done cost me £280 because Charlie did the prep on his driveway. 

I really want to do it myself like I did with the engine bay. Might buy a DA sander and get cracking 🤣🤣

• Like 3

I remember back in 1998 thinking 400 quid was a lot to paint my x19 black from blue especially as he didn't do the engine bay 🤣 current project 3 grand to paint and I took it back to bare metal myself and rubbed it down in between coats etc, still isn't perfect but I can imagine in this day and age 7 to 10 grand easily.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sutty2006 said:

I thought 20hrs was too low too lol. 

last full paint job I had done cost me £280 because Charlie did the prep on his driveway. 

I really want to do it myself like I did with the engine bay. Might buy a DA sander and get cracking 🤣🤣

I started off doing wheels, underbodies etc. engine bays, inside, boots etc. I will step up and even buy professional guns, etc. materials are not that expensive. 

I have seen a body shop produced work, that needed corrected twice. After 6k. Also seen show winners with multiple flaws, about 12 majors.

But on the other hand I am tempted to run scary rat look, with immaculate clear coat. But even though the car will be 100% perfect underneath and restored. People will always consider it as a old car with rust showing. If I was to throw a 8k paint job at it later, it would still be seen as inferior. 

But needs must, and you will always have negative comments. But hey 😎

I do like the method of completing a car, and doing small improvement to your tastes. 

A bare metal, clear coat would be different 😉

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 3

To be honest, I’m quite tempted to prep it then roller it. Seen it done on a Dutch manta in satin black and it looked sprayed 🤣 might buy the paint, and nip down to B n Q for some throw away rollers. 🤣 got to look better than it does now right? 

• Sad 1