A20 OEX - silver i200

I owned this car many years ago and put a good service history file together and bought the number plate off chris burt, i bought the car from a lad in leamington spa in a bit of a state used it for a bit then kev finney bought it from me and did a load more restoration work on it, a few years later could of been around 2004 ish i saw it for sale at billing i was so tempted to buy it back but couldnt justify another manta

Mick

OMOC 1133 MIDLANDS AREA

WITH 1X 24V HATCH

• 2 weeks later...

From the Irmscher Database that I have been keeping, this car was originally C944 XDH and turned up in the Midlands about 12 years ago. It was Astro Silver and was one of only 3 known genuine Silver i200's in the UK.

It has been through the hands of several club members over the years. I do not have any records of the current owner unfortunately.

OMOC Chairman.

Memb no 1679F

i200thumb.gif

Colin Norris was the last owner, but I'm sad to say he broke it into parts as he needed the cash at the time. He simply wouldn't sell it as a complete project because he knew he could get more for it in bits.

Was also extremely rotten, chassis, inner wings, floor etc were in a right state, would have taken herculean skills/wallet to get it sorted.

I have the front end and bumper off this car sitting in my garage.

Martyn Locke had the interior and engine, not sure where the rest went.

jef_icon_flossy.gifSouth Wales Rep

jef_icon_flossy.gifOMOC 5643

mantaavvy.jpg

http://www.trackdayninjas.com

http://www.mtb-wales.com/

thanks paul ive been racking my brains trying to think of the original reg number!!!! thats a real shame another i200 gone more so a silver one. i would say XNX is the only one left as the 3rd silver i200 has'nt been seen? would of been worth buying a good gte shell and restoreing a rare car bur each to there own?????

OMOC 1133 MIDLANDS AREA

WITH 1X 24V HATCH

YOU KNOW WHAT REALLY FFFRICK'IN TICKS ME OFF ABOUT THIS... MY LAST WORDS TO COLIN WERE GIVE ME FIRST REFUSAL IF YOUR GOING TO SELL IT. HE COULD OF AT LEAST HAD THE DECENCY TO CALL ME BACK AND OFFER IT TO ME FFS [:(!] [V]

Yes it needed some work but he knew that when he bought it. what a waste...

RIP

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

Yeah totally agree with you, but he just would not sell it as a complete car(probably why he didn't phone you Roy), I did try![:(]

Just to add...and I know it doesn't make it any better, but it wasn't anywhere near that condition in those photos when he broke it.

mantaavvy.jpg

I'm still pi$$ed off because I've seen bad cars which have been saved but this was one of 3!! Its just so short sighted, I would have paid him back what he paid me for it. Can you remember what year it was broken?

Thats probably why he abruptly stopped emailing. [xx(]

I'm guessing at around '03, '04? Can't really remember, it was a while a go.

I got the general impression that he wasn't particularly into mantas if you catch my drift, think he had bought it cos of it's looks and then when it needed a lot of work, just got rid, replaced it with a fiesta sport or something if I remember correctly. (Sorry, Roy, that probably just makes it worse).

Probably from being on this forum he knew how much the blitz seats etc.. were worth on their own.

Very short sited, especially if you look at manta prices today.

I hope I don't sound like I'm slagging him off, because I really don't mean to; it was his car to do with what he pleased at the end of the day. Yes its a crying shame a real tragedy.

The only reason I took what I could and same for Martyn, was that is was better that way than the whole car being crushed. At least the front panel etc will go to save another manta even if it isn't quite as rare.

mantaavvy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Dave, it seems so selfish breaking a rareity like that, especially when he'd have probably got good money for it if he'd offered it around, but as someone else states, its his property to do with what he will [:(]

OMOC Member 6144

1982 1800 Manta Berlinetta Coupe

• 4 weeks later...

Its a real shame to hear that this car has been broken. I hate to think what happened to it in the years since it first turned up at one of the Midlands Pub meetings (probably back in 97 ??? Mick what do you reckon??)

When Mick bought the car, it wasn't too bad at all. I can remember crawling underneath it and looking at the chassis legs - which were not too bad for an manta of that age. Remember the really rotten one from cornwall that went for sale on ebay last year? That made quite a bit as a complete car I seem to remember, so it was pretty short sighted of him to break it for spares. Never mind, as said - it was his car to do with as he pleased....

Thats one less i200 on the register then. Looks as though they just got a bit rarer!