Newbie! Not A Manta But Take A Look!

Howie86

Hi all, ive just joined on here after seeing "Rabs" '71 Commodore coupe!

Basically the story goes i was raised on Mk1 Cavaliers (my dad still has 3, we are saving 2 and the other is a donor) When i was young we used to go to billing and fell in love with the Mk2 Astra GTE and vowed to get one as soon as i passed that i did! after running it for 6 months i took it off the road for a major overhaul and hi spec tune up after 4 years it was finished a magazine worthy show winner and scary fast!

With the GTE finished i got itchy fingers so obtained a 1967 Rover V8 to mess around with then i fell for another car! a right hand drive '69 Opel Rekord Coupe! in suprisingly good condition! i was lucky enough to get it, I spent a few weeks doing bits and bobs to it to get a test on it! which is pretty much the short version here are the pics!.........

33f6anp.jpg

bhk5nc.jpg

2ensrkh.jpg

j0w9d2.jpg

5lcfoj.jpg

New car!

288y0yc.jpg

ixfsc9.jpg

2jflggo.jpg

Edited by Howie86

howya thumbsup.gif

two very nice cars ya got yerself , that astra looks mint !

and your commodore is a rare beastie now .

Cheers Jim!

The astra has an epic list of rare and performance parts i built it out of as many new genuine GM parts as i could find, i was lucky because just as i was finishing the car almost all replacement parts GM and non-GM went obsolete.

I hope to do the new beast to the same standard if not better! it will be the original metalic flakey met blue i'll keep ya posted.

hi and welcome astra looks mint really like the commodore thumbsup.gif

Thanks gary, the astra is more or less done now thank god, i know finding parts for the new beasty will be a laugh a minute!

does anyone know how much of the suspension is compatable with a manta/cav?

Thanks gary, the astra is more or less done now thank god, i know finding parts for the new beasty will be a laugh a minute!

does anyone know how much of the suspension is compatable with a manta/cav?

am sure simon p from Suffolk County Manta's will be able to let you know when he sees the post :thumbup

I used to have a MK2 Astra GTE (2.0 8v mind!) and it was bloody brilliant although mine was on it's last legs and died in my ownership. I'd have liked to have seen your one but the photos are too big for my dial-up to handle sad.gif

Lol, they are awsome cars, fast, fun and good looking mine is concourse been called one of the best in the country, mind you for £15-20k i should hope so! lol. i love your project V8 into manta coupe i begged my dad to V8 a cav but it was a case of "i'll get round to it" so im V8ing the Rekord the engine is in bits block and heads just been acid dipped and crack tested so just building it back up with a few performance parts so i'll be asking you a few questions,might aswell start now, what do you have to do to marry the opel 3-speed autobox up to a rover V8 block? Cheers.

WOW mate your Astra is a credit to you it looks absolutly mint, even down to new tyers. lol

Im looking for a cheap astra 16v just to abuse, then i want its heart for my Manta.

Sorry if my plan is to murder another astra but if more and more die yours will increse in value!!!!!!

Welcome and good luck with the project Record.

WOW mate your Astra is a credit to you it looks absolutly mint, even down to new tyers. lol

Im looking for a cheap astra 16v just to abuse, then i want its heart for my Manta.

Sorry if my plan is to murder another astra but if more and more die yours will increse in value!!!!!!

Welcome and good luck with the project Record.

Cheers mate glad you like it. Ha ha ha! too right, a tatty Mk2 went past me the otherday whilst i was driving my donkey (mitsubishi colt; last pic) and got a real urge to right it off for that reason so yeah feel free to dismember it, lol. red-tops are awesome! insanly powerful when tuned right, i've never yet seen one in a manta in the flesh, bet its sweet! style and power in equal measures! thumbsup.gif

Hello and welcome. thumbsup.gif

Really nice Mk2 wished i'd never got rid of mine.

Cheers mate! they are awesome cars its all or nothing with them though if they're not done right you'll be working on them every weekend until you do. cant wait to get my mk1 cavvy sorted!

Hi all, ive just joined on here after seeing "Rabs" '71 Commodore coupe!

Basically the story goes i was raised on Mk1 Cavaliers (my dad still has 3, we are saving 2 and the other is a donor) When i was young we used to go to billing and fell in love with the Mk2 Astra GTE and vowed to get one as soon as i passed that i did! after running it for 6 months i took it off the road for a major overhaul and hi spec tune up after 4 years it was finished a magazine worthy show winner and scary fast!

With the GTE finished i got itchy fingers so obtained a 1967 Rover V8 to mess around with then i fell for another car! a right hand drive '69 Opel Rekord Coupe! in suprisingly good condition! i was lucky enough to get it, I spent a few weeks doing bits and bobs to it to get a test on it! which is pretty much the short version here are the pics!.........

33f6anp.jpg

bhk5nc.jpg

2ensrkh.jpg

j0w9d2.jpg

5lcfoj.jpg

New car!

288y0yc.jpg

ixfsc9.jpg

2jflggo.jpg

Just a slight editorial correction for you. The '71 coupe is my car. Unfortunately when the forum software was replaced the posting had to be remade by an administrator, hence his name appearing. It'd be nice if this were changed please Admin(?).

Astra looks the Ds Bs :thumbup Looks like you got a lot on there with your coupe - I'd better finish reading your postings now :D too excited to see a Rekord Coupe. If you need any advice on parts etc just drop me a line.

am sure simon p from Suffolk County Manta's will be able to let you know when he sees the post :thumbup

Just seem this thread, sadly, nothing is interchangable between the Manta and your Rekord. BTW, did you buy your Rekord off Kips Green by any chance, i'm sure i remember looking over it. He wanted me to pop a V8 in. That shape is crying out for a nice small block :D

Just a slight editorial correction for you. The '71 coupe is my car. Unfortunately when the forum software was replaced the posting had to be remade by an administrator, hence his name appearing. It'd be nice if this were changed please Admin(?).

Lol, ahh ok, thanks! yeah i love yours! you've thrown some right cash at it! shows though, were did you get all your parts from it wasent a guy in holland called "Bauke" was it?

Astra looks the Ds Bs thumbsup.gif Looks like you got a lot on there with your coupe - I'd better finish reading your

postings now biggrin.gif too excited to see a Rekord Coupe. If you need any advice on parts etc just drop me a line.

Edited by Howie86

• 3 weeks later...

Nice set of cars you have. Haven't seen such a tidy Astra (Kadett over here) in ages. But the C Rekord is more my cup of tea. Hope to see more of your project in the future. Someone in my country is building a 5.7 V8 in an A Commodore. Forum link (sorry, it's in Dutch):http://www.opel-forum.nl/viewthread.php?tid=103268&page=1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice set of cars you have. Haven't seen such a tidy Astra (Kadett over here) in ages. But the C Rekord is more my cup of tea. Hope to see more of your project in the future. Someone in my country is building a 5.7 V8 in an A Commodore. Forum link (sorry, it's in Dutch):http://www.opel-foru...d=103268&page=1

Wow! that is a nice project! im going to your country next month to get a load of parts for my rekord, a guy over there has a huge warehouse of parts so me and a friend are road tripping over. Im also fitting a V8 to my Rek C, tuned heads, carb, high comp pistons, large valves, cam etc.

Edited by Howie86

• 1 month later...