Top Mods For Manta B

Mototechnics

OK Guys what are the top mods to do to a Manta B (especially an 87 Exclusive). Full details and full words not just abbreviations or acronyms. For example I'm OK with the V8 conversion (with a little advice from OMOC Members) but I read about Opel Commodore rear axles, disc brake conversions etc. So those in the know let us all know please.

Mark

WOW, there are as many answers to this question as there are modified Manta's.

It more depends on how thick your wallet is and/or how good your mechanical skills are.

Take a look at the your projects section to see what people are doing with thier Manta's.

Brakewise i would definatly go for the Cartlin GSi frontbrake setup, those things are massive 296mm with some greenstuff pads. Also at the rear axle i would go for a disc setup, buy the epytec.de kit for this. This also gives you the benefits of a hydraulic handbrake.

Regarding the rear axle, forget the commo setup. Thats only for those wanting a 5 lug PCD on 400 replica´s. If you want a real bastard that will never break you should go for a Volvo 200 series rear axle. Theres a bit of work involved, but those suckers can´t break down :) What you need is to remove all brackets and yes well everything so you are left with a naked rear axle. Then you mount the brackets and trailing arms etc from the Manta. Last but not least you need to find a way to make the PCD from volvo 5 lug, to Opel 4 lug. Also you need to have a new propshaft made. This all might sound like alot but its worth the hard work!

OK Guys what are the top mods to do to a Manta B (especially an 87 Exclusive). Full details and full words not just abbreviations or acronyms. For example I'm OK with the V8 conversion (with a little advice from OMOC Members) but I read about Opel Commodore rear axles, disc brake conversions etc. So those in the know let us all know please.

Mark

Hello Mark,

If I had an 87 Exclusive, I'd say the first modification would be to uprate the front brakes. My 87 GTE coupe ran 260mm Sierra xr4x4 front discs( redrilled to fit ) with mk3 Cavalier SRI brake calipers. This transformed the cars pathetic standard braking and still fitted under the 14" wheels. The next modification would be to lower the suspension, and get the tracking reset afterwards.The tracking settings are different on a lowered car so don't set it toe-ing in as the books says. 3rd modification would be a decent set of shock absorbers like Bilsteins or similar.15" wheels look good on Exclusives and make the rear spoiler look a bit more "in proportion" with the rest of the car.Look for wheels with an offset of ET25 to ET15 ideally. Next modification would be expensive and a lot of messing about but well worth it.... Poly bushes. I'm guilty of the "make it go faster first" way of modifying cars but have taken a different approach on my last Ascona build by sorting the brakes and suspension first and have ended up with a lot better driving car than my first modified GTE coupe. I'd probably say that the top mod for a Manta would be a 16 valve Red top engine conversion, but would sort all the above work out first. Good luck with your car..... Luke

as 399road has said, poly bush the whole suspention, and if you realy want a manta to handle weld in some strengthener plates on the suspention arms, thats on the arms themselfs to reduce flex, it will be sort of hard to turn at parking speed but with lower profile tyres and 16" wheels it feels so responsive at speed i love it, i also had a full set of billys finest all round and a astra 16v front brake set up, i think if fitting an old rover v8, springs from a gte might be to hard as the rover is very light, good luck with rebuild, mods, will look forward to reading about the progress.

and if you realy want a manta to handle weld in some strengthener plates on the suspention arms, thats on the arms themselfs to reduce flex, it will be sort of hard to turn at parking speed but with lower profile tyres and 16" wheels it feels so responsive at speed i love it

Low profile wider tyres might make the steering heavier, boxing in the suspension arms will not affect the steering weight at all :huh: