Calling All Essex/suffolk And Surrounding Areas Members!

smiffy220

Guys, I've been back in the club for 3 years now and other than making Billing in 2010, have not managed to meet up with any other members really for any area meets.

As sadly our area Rep Val had to step down, it has been really quiet now in my neck of the woods and I need some Manta/Cavalier/Ascona company soon as it's all Fords near me!

Would anyone be interested in a meet up sometime either towards the end of May, or early June maybe in mid-essex or somewhere central? I don't mind if it's a Friday evening or a Sunday afternoon, can do either, other days or nights are difficult as will depend on babysitters etc.

Any thoughts, suggestions, name gathering welcome? It must be possible to arrange something surely? Look forward to hearing from you.

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

Hi Smiffy

Dont worry your not the only one in Essex trying to show the Ford boys how its done!!!

I would be up for an excuse to get out the house and take the Manta for a spin, let me know if you get anything sorted!

Laters

Dom

hi dave yes indeed there are not many of us around anymore ,and provided i get the manta taxed and mot i shall be interested in having a little get together. although if i do tax /mot the manta it wont be until june. im still a bit undecieded yet as to if i will or not this year as i may give it a rest as ive got lots of other things on the go at the mo. im running around in the mini at the mo as it makes good economical sense compared to the manta .

but you never know(i cant see myself being manta-less over the summer period) to be honest like you say not much happens around here so feel im in need of an inspriational kick up the backside . and dont really feel to inclined to get things on the go for billing as i personally feel the change last year was a bit of a cock up .

shame battlesbridge had to be cancelled as i too was looking forward to going,better luck in september eh.

anyway hope all good your end and enjoying the manta

all the best paul

hi dave yes indeed there are not many of us around anymore ,and provided i get the manta taxed and mot i shall be interested in having a little get together. although if i do tax /mot the manta it wont be until june. im still a bit undecieded yet as to if i will or not this year as i may give it a rest as ive got lots of other things on the go at the mo. im running around in the mini at the mo as it makes good economical sense compared to the manta .

but you never know(i cant see myself being manta-less over the summer period) to be honest like you say not much happens around here so feel im in need of an inspriational kick up the backside . and dont really feel to inclined to get things on the go for billing as i personally feel the change last year was a bit of a cock up .

shame battlesbridge had to be cancelled as i too was looking forward to going,better luck in september eh.

anyway hope all good your end and enjoying the manta

all the best paul

Hi Paul, good to hear from you mate. Things all ok with me thanks, guess you're still really busy. Yeah, was a shame about Battlesbridge. I'm booked in for the Sept show also, so fingers crossed for that one. Got a few other things lined up for this year, as my car didn't make it out last year, so want to make up for that this year. Still fiddling with the ride height of my car after getting the springs changed, not completely happy with it yet.

June would work for me for a get together. Hope you get it taxed and MOT'd ok. I was half thinking about meeting Colchester way. I know it's a bit of a trek for you, but I'm pretty sure I've seen members on here recently in Colchester and Braintree, so thought it would be central, and might even lure some Suffolk members down like Simon P? What do you think? There must be more than 3 of us in Essex and Suffolk etc surely?

I reckon seeing some other Manta's might inspire you, hope it does. I'm half thinking of heading to Billing, not decided yet. You not going then for def?

Catch up with you soon.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm up for a get together. Had mine back on/off the road for a couple of years now and have only seen 1 other in that time, v sad. I'm based in Braintree so fairly central for wherever. Shes off the road at the minute but should be back on in the next few weeks.

Hi Dave

Hopefully you'll decide to come to Billing this year.

Love the colour of that Manta of yours

Thanks mate, I'm not decided on Billing yet. I'd like to come, but if I do it will be the Sunday only. Not getting any time to spend on the old girl and it really needs a tidy up and polish and some little fettling work here and there. Not sure I want to risk the trip to Billing unless I get a chance to do some work on it!

Might be there, will know nearer the time.

So we're up to 4 for a meet! It really is Manta's few and far between in the South East!! How are people set for the end of June? Pre-Billing meet maybe?

If I said a Friday evening, how does that work for people? Maybe the 22nd or 29th June? Venue to be agreed.

Drop a quick add name to this list:-

Dave - Manta B SRB Coupe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Saw your post and wondered if you've set a date or venue yet?

I hope to have the Manta running but have developed a serious leak from the thermostat housing / head area this weekend so really need to get this sorted before driving it again. Not sure if its just an old gasket or something more serious yet.

I am in Colchester so can probably make most locations but work in London so don't get home till 7pm at the earliest.

Regards

Mark

groupfotosbmwmanta032.jpghi dave sounds good , got a new project , trying to get it sorted for billing mybe ? , interested in some of your schemes , may be southend ? , cheers steve Edited by cop

Ok, I'll pm some of you with this and see how we go, but how about Fri 6th July, 7.30pm onwards at the Dick Turpin pub, eastbound A127 between Basildon and Rayleigh? Any thoughts guys?

Be nice to get 4 or 5 there at least?

Cop, your profile says Lincs, are you in Essex?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

hi dave how are you mate? after all i decieded to tax,insure and mot the manta again as im now going to billing for the weekend ,well looking forward to it as ,although ive been to billing many times have never camped for the whole weekend. hows thing going your end ? best wishes paul

hi dave how are you mate? after all i decieded to tax,insure and mot the manta again as im now going to billing for the weekend ,well looking forward to it as ,although ive been to billing many times have never camped for the whole weekend. hows thing going your end ? best wishes paul

Hi Paul ,I'm good mate, although a little sick of all this rain! I won't be making Billing this year, pretty skint and still find it all a bit of a palaver getting into Billing etc. Hope you have a good time mate. Barry going with you?

Manta has been out a few times, but only done one show as most have either been rained off or my wife has scuppered my plans with family commitments etc. Still think it would be good to get some local Manta's together, but seems a difficult task. I couldn't be an area rep!!

This friday might be pushing it now, and Billing the following weekend, so maybe a post Billing meet? There is a 'Chelmer Valley Car Meet' last Thursday of every month at The Lodge in Battlesbridge. Could tie in a meet there and see how many we get along? Next one is last Thursday in July. Any good for anyone?

Dave

hello chaps iam in lincs , unable to come at the moment , havent started project due to bad weather,moved from romford , collier row area .bought new project from just around the corner from where i used to live, ive been up here since 1973. cheers steve

hi,dave yes i plan to get up to billing on the fri through to the sun, although i do hope this rain stops or we could end up camping in a bog. yes as usual my co driver barry is coming along for the ride.

ive just finished a couple of jobs on the manta in preparation for the journey,ive changed the springs back to standard ones as the lowered ones dumped it to the ground which maked in my view a too harsher ride also just fitted some new exhaust hangers as the old rubbers had perished,so i bought some poly ones as i only replaced the rubbers about two years ago and one had broke again.

indeed a meeet with a few of us good idea ,and im certainly up for that now have her up and running.

its a shame wont get to see you at billing mate,as was looking forward to catching up and seeing the green machine again.

all the best regards paul

Hi guys dont know if its of any interest - I am an ex member but now have a rover coupe - there is an MG - Rover meet at The Halfway Hse on the A127 SUnday 27th july from 12 - I will probably be there from 1:30.

The triumph sports six club are there as well usually.

I know its not a Manta but at least its some like minded people having a natter etc on a sunday afternoon.

The more the merrier!

Hi guys dont know if its of any interest - I am an ex member but now have a rover coupe - there is an MG - Rover meet at The Halfway Hse on the A127 SUnday 27th july from 12 - I will probably be there from 1:30.

The triumph sports six club are there as well usually.

I know its not a Manta but at least its some like minded people having a natter etc on a sunday afternoon.

The more the merrier!

I assume that's the 29th on the Sunday is it mate, the 27th being the Friday? If so, I am already attending the Mill Race Country Run in Essex that Sunday, so unable to make this one at the Halfway House.

Thanks anyway though, maybe another time!

Paul (gte/Paul) - hope you have a good weekend at Billing mate, hope to see some good photos!

The best suggestion I have at the moment guys is that I will be at the Lodge in Hayes Chase, Battlesbridge on the 26th from 7pm onwards for the Chelmer Valley Car Meet, and maybe some of you would like to come down to this and have a mooch about?

If not, I will hopefully be at the Classics on the Common event on Wednesday the 18th from 7pm onwards, for the annual free show on Galleywood Common - again organised by the Chelmer Valley Car Meet.

Be good to see some of you on either event - I am always a lone Manta!!

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

hello dave is this a deffo meet for the 26th july im not sure what day that is (without looking at calendar) yes im interested in showing my face. be able to fill you in on my "short" billing weekend like i said in a previous post yes it was like camping in a bog! as you will most prob be aware now it didnt go ahead due to the bad weather.

hope all good with you mate best wishes paul

hello dave is this a deffo meet for the 26th july im not sure what day that is (without looking at calendar) yes im interested in showing my face. be able to fill you in on my "short" billing weekend like i said in a previous post yes it was like camping in a bog! as you will most prob be aware now it didnt go ahead due to the bad weather.

hope all good with you mate best wishes paul

Hi Paul, there is deffo a meet at the Lodge in Battlesbridge on Thursday 26th July mate yes, but I'm not 100% I can make it at the mo, will depend if my wife needs to work that evening or not. I will try and get there, but will let you know on here.

However, If anyone is interested, it's my village show in Southminster this Saturday 21st, and I have arranged for a small gathering of classic cars there. If anyone has a free Saturday afternoon and wants to come and enjoy the joys of the countryside and some promised good weather, details are as follows:-

Southminster Flower Show (is just a village fete) - Saturday 21st July gates open at 12.30pm to the public.

It's free entry for classic cars and cars need to be on site by 11am, show closes at 5pm.

It's on the King George V playing fields and entry is via the Southminster Station Car Park. Head for Southminster Station, Tattersalls Chase on your satnavs!

If anybody is interested, by all means PM me and can meet at mine if they want about 10.50am.

I'm trying to get as many cars there as possible, but first year we've done this, so hard getting the message out there!

Dave

Edited by smiffy220

• 9 months later...

Morning all, after a great day at Battlesbridge yesterday, and a grand total of 5 Manta owners there (albeit only the 2 cars there), I thought it time to resurrect this thread and try again as we all discussed.

So, how about the Lodge at Hayes Chase, Battlesbridge on the Thursday evening of the 30th of this month?

Judging by this thread last year, we could have mine, Paul's, Pauls mate Barry, Dom400, MarkB1 and the chap we met yesterday called Rob. 6 cars if you can all make it?

This Thursday evening would correspond with the Chelmer Valley Car Meet too, so there will be a number of classics down there and is a good night.

What do you all think chaps?

Dave

Hi,

Yeah deff up for some meets this year, and please can you send me a reminder as I always forget the dates! (I was going ment to be going to Batlebridge but forgot that one!) :)

Thanks!!!

Dom

Yes Dom, no worries mate. Will keep up with the reminders.

Pity you didn't make it down to Battlesbridge, as was the 2 Manta's there, and 5 of us owners about. Get a free entry in for the Grand Motorbilia show there in September. We're going to possibly try to get a few of the Manta's all together for that one!

You can download an entry form from the Battlesbridge.com website, and it's free!

Dave

hi,i'm one of the suffolk members,i've got a 16v manta coupe thats been off the road for about 7 years but i'm making concerted effort to get it back on the road.not sure if it will be ready for the 30th but would still like to meet up with you guys.is it still on for the 30th?

martin