My Wee A Series Rebuild

Dougs

Ok so I got pretty close to getting the car ready for billing. It's got 2 doors all sprayed and fitted Windows in most of the interior done loads of wee jobs finished looked like it had a chance and then snap!!!! Monday night playing football I broke my collar bone pretty badly. Just got home from hospital and a bit gutted. Have a good one and hope to meet you all next year

Cheers mate. Totally gutted she is so close to the road. Before time was the problem now I have loads of time but can't do anything it's my right arm and the left one is useless so don't think there's going to be any car tinkering for a while. Next year for billing

heres some pics before i got injured. the bigger bottle for screenwash with a new bracket lines and jets. changed the pump it goes in the top of the bottle now with direct liftDSC_0267_zpsbyfjmgrr.jpg?t=1437044581

the rear door cards. got mum to put a seam in for the armrest and then just spray glued on its starting to take shape

DSC_0277_zpsrfv6bnut.jpg?t=1437044605DSC_0278_zpsd5ormuxm.jpg

this is how badly the doors bloomed when i sprayed them the first time

DSC_0282_zpscjyhebwx.jpg

much better second time. tented and heated the area. thought i would have got away with it the first time as it was warm but it was far to humidDSC_0283_zpsxl2p3e72.jpgDSC_0284_zpsamvfanc5.jpg

• Like 1

seats are back and looking great. beefed up the originals to get a bit more shape and no headrests purely for the look i want. must say ma wee mammy has knocked it out the park they look greatDSC_0293_zps0ydina6j.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting there now loads of wee jobs done main one is the interior is nearly finnished

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

My new driver until my shoulder heals

still some finishing touches to do but its really starting to take shape

Also some pics of its current state outside. Should be ready for mot now just have to wait till i can drive again. still a few wee problems like the back brakes are locking before the fronts dont know why or if its normal and the fuel gauge is always reading the same no matter how much fuel in it. Also put the old steering wheel on because i couldnt get the horn contact to work on the moutney wheel

done away with the rear fog as they tell me its not needed

still not to happy with the ride height but thats a battle for another day

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Booked in for its mot next week we'll exited just hope it passes

Been hard at it last couple of weeks had the tank out and sender. As suspected the float was done so I got a float out of an old carb I had and soldered it on. That fixed the fuel reading. The pick up pipe was in good nick which threw me a bit as I was drawing so much air in the fuel. After a lot of messing about I just changed all the fuel lines and that sorted it. Although it wasn't running so well after that so a restart with points, timing and carb setup and its all good again.

Also getting near the end of the interior which has been nightmare to do but will be all worth it when done

Temperature gauge has decided to stop working and can't work out why. Brakes still aren't great and there's still loads of wee jobs to but I just want to get this baby on the road and see what it's like!!

• Like 2

Yeehaa it passed!!!!!!!!!!!!! No advisories I'm well chuffed. Finished the bubbly and on to the whiskey now so happy

Don't think it's going to win any prizes mate just delighted I got it back on the road

• Like 2

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might you dare try having a 'wee' trip out in your Manta despite your shoulder? after you have got over the Whiskey of course (noticed you have spelt this with an 'e' are you on the Bushmills?)

As for not winning a prize, with the quality of the interior it is possible, hence why said your 'Wee Mammy' will have to keep the trophy on her mantle piece !

• Like 1

Yea been out for quite a few wee drives and I'm absolutely loving it. The attention she gets is unbelievable already been pulled over a couple of times by people just to talk about the car. I parked it outside the shop at luss today and when I got back it was surrounded by people some asking what it was others telling me stories of when they had one it's unreal

I mate it was whisky a lovely 21 year old auchentoshan that I'd been saving for mot day. Needless to say it didn't see the night out!

She's got quite a bad leak from the gearbox to shaft seal which I've already replaced got another one coming and will check the drive shaft for burs. Is this a common issue and is there anything I should look for?

Yes i wish i had quid for every time someone has said to me, " I used to have a Manta " or " My Dad / Uncle / Aunt / Neighbour / Mate / Boss / etc.... had one "

If you had owned something more mundane i don't think that when you saw one years later you'd want to rush over to the owner and tell them, yet people will want to tell you about someone who owned a Manta ten doors down the street where they lived as a child, there always was something special about Manta's even back when they were common.

I was out in my Manta in the early nineties with a Non-Manta friend, got lost down country lanes near Exeter, pulled over to look at the map blocking someones drive, Out of the house strode a formidable looking older lady and my mate said " now your for it, blocking her drive !!"  i wound down the window to be greeted with the words " i used to own one of these !" spent the next quarter of an hour talking Manta's !! my mate sat there fuming because instead of getting to our destination i was talking about my beloved Manta's, driving away he said " trust you to find the driveway of an ex-Manta owner !"

Auchentoshan, a lowland man, my favourite as well, had an expensive 28y old, that did go down very well indeed, perhaps the best Whisky i've tasted, but the 21y old is very nice.

As for the gearbox seal, i have seen them leaking before, all i can suggest is thorough inspection and renewal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your right mate everyone seems to have had some kind of contact with a manta but I must say I'm loving all the attention

Had her out for the first time in the rain tonight I know bizarre coming from Scotland but it's been dry here the last couple of weeks. Anyway what a laugh although I spent most of the time sideways without meaning to.

Got the shaft seal sorted think it must have been machined down at some point because I had to get a seal 2mm smaller than specified or the ones sold as manta seals and the shaft looks in great Nick. At least it's sorted out now

• 6 months later...

I am absolutely sick some idiot water board driver going to fast down the farm Road ran into the manta I couldn't get it into reverse quick enough 

Don't know what's going to happen now with insurance and all that but guess I'm destined never to make billing

Chassis rails seem ok it wasn't a big shunt but I doubt I'll have the money or time to sort it. Tears to a glass eye right now 

So Sorry. The insurance will probably write it off, but hopefully you have agreed value, so buy it back and use the insuance pay out, to fix it

When I crashed mine back in the 90s, this what I did. but I used the insurance money to buy another shell and swoped all the part over on to it.

• Like 1

If you want to retain the car remember it is YOUR CAR until they pay you for it.  Make it clear UP FRONT if so.  And remember you can always choose not to claim for the car

I never let mine out of my site / be taken away. I know people that have been passed by their own car returned to the road before they were even paid and others that have never seen car or money in spite of the fact the third party admitted fault.

Damage looks relatively trivial. I would park it up while collecting parts.

If you don't want to keep it someone on here would probably be glad of it off you if you bought it back

• Like 1

This is the car I've always wanted I will definitely be keeping it I just don't know when ill be able to fix it. On a major downer right now 

I never got around to the agreed value we did verbally at around 4gs so don't know what's going to happen but the car will definitely be staying with me

• Like 1