My Wee A Series Rebuild

Dougs

I have a driver side wing that needs a little attention and probably the top valence bit that might have a bitworthy of replacing the squashed bit. Let us know what bits are needed. They'll all be out there! 

• Like 3

Thanks shug that has perked me up a bit. Having had a good look at it now I think I'm going to need a wing full front nose and maybe inner wing although could maybe sort this out with some new metal.

Would be really interested in those parts. That was what I was most worried about was getting the parts. You just talked me off the cliff. Cheers 

Hey

Not good to see the Manta like that, but we have all been there at some point! Had some German bugger go round the outside of a roundabout and stuff the front wing in on mine many years ago. Best bit was when i got out and swore it him he had no clue what i was saying!!  I might be able to help out with trim and that grill as im sure i have a spare in the loft. let em know as im have a loft clear out next week as moving soon and need to clear some bits. i have a wing but i think its the other side. let me know if you do need any bits.

Its a bummer, but you will be able to get her all sort out, its just extra effort that you didnt need.

Andy 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dougs said:

Cheers mate I'm going between rage and sadness now. I had just finished compounding and polishing her. She was looking great. So gutted 

"Stuff happens"

Took me from 1999 to get my Manta in good order, changed every external panel barring the roof.

Used my last good rear panel and salvaged rear quarters to sort it out.  The rear panel was previously fitted brand new with new bumpers lights etc to my previous exclusive, which I had completely (legally) re-shelled. This had been written off by being hit head on by a 4x4 while he was using my side of the road (50/50 go figure) and this was a few months after it was rear ended (dealer messed up the repair), then returned (repair never addressed) then stolen and stripped for parts.  The car was recovered a few feet from where they usually burn them full of youths with spanners but none of the removed parts to be seen. Once they had spoken to their brief it turns out they were just in it out of curiosity so no prosecutions or pars recovered.

The Exclusive bumper fitted mu Manta perfectly at the sides  so I did a better job than the dealer did repairing my previous one with new parts with second hand parts!

Martin made it white for me so all one colour for the first time in 7 years , except for one red headlight bezel which was left because every time I have a car all one colour some one messes it up for me .

2 weeks later it was rear ended at traffic lights.  It wasn't that she didn't stop, she did.  But when the lights went green she put her car in gear and drove an Audi straight into the back of it inspite of me and the 5 cars in front not moving yet.  Completely avoidable.

I threw my rear lights in the boot, apologised for being mildly sarcastic, took my car to pieces that weekend, rear panel cut out and swapped for the best I could get at the time and had to use a 2nd rate panel and bumper (bumper salvaged from the previous exclusive being rear ended) and soaked up the fact the rear radius in the quarter is now wrong so the bumper is now sticking out like most people's exclusives ;) but I could not do it without risking kinking the quarter under the C pillar.

As I said stuff happens.

On yours my guess would be nose is saveable if you cannot get one or half of one, needs a wing and inner wing straightening or half an inner. That said hang a wing on it and beat the inner to fit.  Hint 1mm cut grinding discs in kinks you cant move makes then easy to beat flat and weld up.  Or a body knife.

Hammer and dolly set from machine mart and wing can be serviceable in a couple of hours 

• Like 1

Ok that is a bestselling tragedy story you have there. Fair play to you!

Must say I am coming to terms with it now and I'll get on the hunt for parts biggest problem I have is no time!!

57 minutes ago, mantaray said:

Got bumper and grill if you need them. also got some head lights but not sure on condition

Cheers mate I've got a grill and headlamp surround looked some out tonight But will probably need a bumper although I was thinking about doing some cut down bumpers 

46 minutes ago, Manta again said:

Really gutted for you. The great part of being with the club is the offers of assistance and parts and even moral support. Look forward to seeing her back on the road, youve come so far. Good luck with it all.

Cheers, Yes really feeling the benefits of the club right now. This site and a fair amount of drink has fairly eased The last couple of days 

• Like 1

Good to see the OMOC members coming together to aid someone in need of help. :thumbup

Hope you get it all sorted doug, looks a bonny car.

I must have missed your posts from last year :ph34r: as I was going through ones I hadn't read and liking the pictures until I come across the front end damage picture :o

• Like 1

Ok so been back in my other car since the smash its à mazda 6 mps and it started misfiring yesterday. Just did a compression test and got zéro on number 4. Not been a good week.

• 2 weeks later...

Upper front panel looks rough, but the top part is intact and could be usable once all the crap is cut off underneath.

Wing has a dent along one edge but is otherwise solid and intact. Surface rust on outside, inside has a rust killer coating on. I think its a genuine GM. Has aerial hole.

Wing cost me 25 quid so I'd like that back. Other panel is free if you want it.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2016 at 10:22 AM, Shug said:

Upper front panel looks rough, but the top part is intact and could be usable once all the crap is cut off underneath.

Wing has a dent along one edge but is otherwise solid and intact. Surface rust on outside, inside has a rust killer coating on. I think its a genuine GM. Has aerial hole.

Wing cost me 25 quid so I'd like that back. Other panel is free if you want it.

Thats brilliant shug definatley want them. Where abouts are you? 

Think the settlement is nearly sorted now so be able to start pulling it apart soon. Although the end of the chassis leg is bent down has got me a little worried

Ive bought myself a generic silver astral mk 4 1.4as a cheap runaround going to put some Opel badges on it to make me feel better

Thanks again shug

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Ok so it's been a while I've just finished rebuilding the mazda so at least I don't have to drive a 1.4 astra anymore as every time I did a little bit of my soul died

Been bashing away at the manta the last couple of days it really is amazing what you can do with a jack, a big hammer and lot of aggression. it's back in the ball park now still a long long way to go but at least now I think I'll get there

Thanks again shug for the wing!

Will get pics up as soon as I remember how

4 hours ago, Dougs said:

it really is amazing what you can do with a jack, a big hammer and lot of aggression.

Don't forget lumps of wood, lengths of large steel box section and racket straps, we were able to close the boot after a session with them !

And out of interested for everyone, this Manta is still alive and with the Hermit ( Mick Maher )

There is a chain from the front cross member to the Landrover as an anchor and the straps are on the Bedford flatbed, No the Manta did not become the longest Manta ever, with a pair or rearlights and another rear bumper it could have passed a MOT.

• Like 1