8V Conversion

*energy*

Hey guys.calling on your knowledge once again.looking at popping a 2.0 8v sri 130 engine in my mk1 cavalier project.

Is this an easy job?and what parts are needed and does anyone have parts for sale?

What I think I need.....

Getrag box(got one)

XE mounts(got em)

Retro power XE sump?

1800 pick up pipe?

1800 GTE exhaust manifold?

GTE injection tank?

Do I need to cut my tunnel?

Any help advice or pointers on the final piece of my project would be greatly appreciated as always.

Rab

That looks about it, won't need to cut the tunnel and you shoild be able to mod the tank you have for a return. You will also need fuel pump assy. If you have the funds get the head done to give you a bit more grunt

Andy

• Like 1

Ok see where your coming from on the tunnel, you could mod it to take the the five speed or PM paulmanta as he has a mod for the shifter. Fuel pumps are the same but you'll need the GTE brackets etc.

Can't remember if there is room for the flat dissy cap at the back of the engine, sure someone else can confirm, if it doesn't then run the 1.8 set up. If you are using the 2.0 injection the airflow meter will fit a GTE air box assy but you will need the brackets that fit to the inner wing.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

The four speed tunnel is essentially the same. There is an additional panel on the five speed cars that raises the height and moves the gearstick location.

You can either mod the five speed linkage to keep the same location as the original four speed or get hold of the five speed tunnel top. Both are easy to do.

The four speed gearbox mounts are not in the correct place. So you either mod the cross member, which is dead easy, or fit five speed mounts. Not worth the hassle.

If your car is a coupe just fit a gte tank. Easy to come by and a lot easier than playing around with your old tank. If your car is a hatch good luck finding a good gte tank.

Oh and the standard manta 1800 exhaust manifold fits.

• Like 1

The Coupe manta GTE tank will fit but the filler neck is different, you will need to cut the neck about 2 inches away from the tank and then do the same with the GTE tank, then use the old neck on the new tank.

The 5 speed conversion plates are in stock here, use all the parts from the original 5 speed selector and put them on the laser cut plate,  PM me for details. no need to mod the tunnel at all, even uses the original gear stick so it looks original.

The 5 speed gearbox X member is the same as the 4 speed but further back, use a thick flat plate the bridge the difference and use round rubber mounts that screw into the box instead of the probably knackered GTE one !

• Like 1

I was never brave enough to try that, it looked like it was too far out.

The tank in the car in this case is a very good tank anyway, I know this because the car was mine and I pulled it out of a barn in East Grinstead, it was laid up in the late 8s because the clutch went, it remained in the very dry barn until I pulled it out as a donor for my Ascona project.  I soon found it was too good and continued to dry store it.

I sold it when I needed cash to spend on another project.

I fixed the clutch and also had to put a new tank in because the years of storage had rusted the old one so badly that when I put fresh fuel in it it all ran out into the boot !

It got replaced with what ever I had that was good at the time, so the neck has already been swopped, the tank might well be GTE !  Check for two pipes on the bottom !

• Like 1

Its a pretty easy install, basically you need the 1800 setup sump/ gearbox/ exhaust/ mounts/ water pipes etc

Then just add new feed and return fuel pipes (they need to be high pressure unlike the carb pipe) a fuel pump/filter setup at the back end and a bit of wiring

I normally add an electric radiator fan rather than transferring the old viscous fan

You don't need to swap to the 1800 dizzy setup, the standard Sri130 dizzy fits without any work to the bulkhead.

Its tight to get the cap off when its fitted but it does clear, normally i change the 3 bolts that hold the cap on to normal m6 bolts rather than torx headed ones they come with.

Makes undoing them easier with a ratchet spanner

I've done the conversion on mantas 3 times and I'm running the SEH in my hatch so if you want any pics or have questions about the wiring etc just ask.

• Like 3

you'll need a calibra turbo clutch and pot type flywheel (+spiggot bearing) ...the 1.8 clutch wont be strong enough ,the sri one might be ok ...but just get the turbo one, you cant beat it

Spigot bearing is VITAL ! do not forget it, its available new from Vauxhall and its only a couple of quid.

Just use the SEH flywheel.

With that I just use a mk3 carlton 2.0 ohc clutch kit, that gives you a 215mm disc that has the right splines for the manta and a cover that will bolt straight on your seh flywheel with a new release bearing that also fits your gearbox

The SEH came with a 215mm clutch normally but its the wrong spline for the opel gearbox, so you can't buy the FWD cavalier kit.

But the carlton mk3 had the 20NE engine (same flywheel/ bottom end as the SEH) with an OPEL rwd gearbox so the spline and all the bits are right

The only reason for going to the larger flywheel and clutch is if you are going to be modifying the engine and running a lot more power.

I have a customer with 170bhp from a SEH and his runs a 215mm clutch without issue, so you need to be running a lot more than that to need the 228mm

But yes you do need a Spigot bearing if the engine has not been used in RWD setup before

• Like 2

Just use the SEH flywheel.

With that I just use a mk3 carlton 2.0 ohc clutch kit, that gives you a 215mm disc that has the right splines for the manta and a cover that will bolt straight on your seh flywheel with a new release bearing that also fits your gearbox

The SEH came with a 215mm clutch normally but its the wrong spline for the opel gearbox, so you can't buy the FWD cavalier kit.

But the carlton mk3 had the 20NE engine (same flywheel/ bottom end as the SEH) with an OPEL rwd gearbox so the spline and all the bits are right

The only reason for going to the larger flywheel and clutch is if you are going to be modifying the engine and running a lot more power.

I have a customer with 170bhp from a SEH and his runs a 215mm clutch without issue, so you need to be running a lot more than that to need the 228mm

But yes you do need a Spigot bearing if the engine has not been used in RWD setup before

That makes sense. As I took a 20SE from a carlton!!