400R Wanted (Still! Lol)

Volksdevil

It's amazing when you think how long you have been looking for a 400R and I have followed your hunt since your first post. You never know you may find out that you may have had to wait all this time for a reason. Maybe the 400R with your name on it isn't available as of now? Then one day you will see it and you know that it is the right one for you.  :thumbup

• Like 2

I wish I had that 'Get up and go' to do it, but after 20 yrs of messing with Vw's, I've had enough of all the heavier car related stuff. I'd rather just buy one that's ready to go if I can...

I am getting tired of looking though :(  Keep visiting the same links over and over again with nothing new coming up. And I do feel a little like I'm intruding into a tight knit community of 400R owners, I don't know why, maybe it's because they are so few and far between? And I'm just trying to 'Jump' on board...

All I can say is that a 400R would be coming to a very good home. For example my last (Very small) project was to save a Vw Corrado 16v bought for only £225 from the scrapyard! You can see how I got on with it here Vw Corrado 16v Saved. Just so you can see that I'm no boy racer and I wouldn't be one for ruining a Manta!  :)

I wish I had that 'Get up and go' to do it, but after 20 yrs of messing with Vw's, I've had enough of all the heavier car related stuff. I'd rather just buy one that's ready to go if I can..

Perhaps its time to contact Retropower to build you one to your perfect spec....!

• Like 1

Cheers Kenny.

If I were to go that route it would basically be a case of:

A base car (How much/How solid is something to consider?)

400 Kitted.

Painted.

There's obviously other bits and bobs like wheels (Already decided on some, a little different), possibility of a slippy diff etc.

Engine wise I have absolutely everything sat here to convert to redtop on 45 webers, so if that was already fitted I could sell my setup on.

In fact...Coming back to the 'Base car' thing....Obviously there's going to be a price point for the initial car which is more favorable. Can anybody advise on that? I mean paying £2-3K for something that needs average work, or 5K? for something needing less work?

I'd like to state my budget (For a finished 400R) which I know will be asked about, but let's just say I should be OK.

I know it's a tough one but, what sort of costs are involved in say, 400 kit fitting, and a full paint job at somewhere like retropower? After having followed their work for some years now, I don't think I'd go anywhere else. A good few years back I started mentioning them to all the Vw guys.

Best case scenario - A ready built, finished, road going 400R comes up for sale!

Neil.

Edited by Volksdevil

Cheers Kenny.

If I were to go that route it would basically be a case of:

A base car (How much/How solid is something to consider?)

400 Kitted.

Painted.

There's obviously other bits and bobs like wheels (Already decided on some, a little different), possibility of a slippy diff etc.

Engine wise I have absolutely everything sat here to convert to redtop on 45 webers, so if that was already fitted I could sell my setup on.

In fact...Coming back to the 'Base car' thing....Obviously there's going to be a price point for the initial car which is more favorable. Can anybody advise on that? I mean paying £2-3K for something that needs average work, or 5K? for something needing less work?

I'd like to state my budget (For a finished 400R) which I know will be asked about, but let's just say I should be OK.

I know it's a tough one but, what sort of costs are involved in say, 400 kit fitting, and a full paint job at somewhere like retropower? After having followed their work for some years now, I don't think I'd go anywhere else. A good few years back I started mentioning them to all the Vw guys.

Best case scenario - A ready built, finished, road going 400R comes up for sale!

Neil.

We started off with a fairly clean base car, needed no repairs, just a 4 slot panel welded in to replace the 2 slot.

After the retrimmed Blitz interior and the 5 stud wheels I'd say the cost will be north of £15k.

Thats keeping the standard 2.0 engine and box as well, although it should hopefully be running twin 40's and a few other minor mods.

Building one isn't cheap, but you will never buy one the way you would want it yourself.........

• Like 3

TBH, I'm not absolutely dead set on my 'preferences'. If a white 400R came along and it had a sunroof, and the later grey interior...As long as it was presentable with having had reasonable quality work done previously, and at the right money then I'd be interested. :)

After having heard your thoughts, along with Kenny's, I'm starting to (Just about consider) looking for a base car, then pretty much have the kit fitted along with a paint job. But like I say, I'd rather find one ready to go really. 

Neil - did you get my PMs?

Yep, cheers Kenny, advise taken on board B) ...Just been a bit sidelined with sorting a new Kitchen, bloody nightmare!

Nice, but wrong car, wrong price Lol. I wouldn't want a genuine 400 really unless I was very well off which I'm definitely not.

I know I'm being a little sketchy with budget but I don't want to say I have 'X' amount and then for a car to pop up at exactly 'X' amount for the sake of matching my budget.

Thats a point, if you had the money Neil would you have a genuine 400 or a perfect replica built to your exact spec? Might sound a no brainer but there are a decent amount of people who would go for the replica. 

Yeah, I'd tend to go for the replica Jack. The reason being I want a usable car...

I used to own the best concours Mk1 Golf Gti in the Country and probably further afield. Never had a whiff of paint or anything, truly as new, smelt new etc etc. But it was unusable and stressful owning such a car. So I think a genuine 400 would have to be treated in a similar way really, being such a rare beast.

But then if money was no object...That big dream wooden barn full of classics would be happening for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Still no 400R for me:( Doesn't help that I've completely fallen in love with Williams @Novasportc550

And your love is not blind in this case neil,without doubt it has got to be one of the best 400r's in the country, and you can clearly see there has been no shortage of love for her during the build,hence why its such an outstanding example.B)

Maybe you should go and visit William with a briefcase full of that round figure your thinking of:lol:

• Like 1

I'm worried, or getting disheartened that with the way things are going I'm just never going to be able to justify buying a 400R. :( I could borrow all the money in the world, but I have to be sensible on what I think a Manta is worth. It's hard with having been involved in the Vw scene for so long...

• 2 weeks later...

The Corrado G60 came out of my unit for only the second time in 3 years today...It's never been so dusty/dirty but I have no water up there as yet. Maybe I'll stick with it if a 400R doesn't come along soon...

• Like 1

Well, I keep getting tempted by a couple of None 400r's that keep appearing in search results...But It would be just my luck for a 400R to come up for sale if I bought something else. Still just about holding on for the right car to come up for sale... :mellow:

The Corrado G60 came out of my unit for only the second time in 3 years today...It's never been so dusty/dirty but I have no water up there as yet. Maybe I'll stick with it if a 400R doesn't come along soon...

you complete and utter poser with your fancy pants air suspension:lol: very trick. Whats going on with G60 are you not shifting it on mate, to make way for the 400R:blink:

LOL.:D I genuinely bought it because at my new house there's no way the Corrado would have got on the drive (With the FK Konigsport Coilovers), it will now! And also the Konigsports didn't last very long before blowing the struts. Great handling, but disappointing longevity.

Yeah, I'll more than likely have to sell the Corrado if a 400R comes up, will be hard to sell after knocking on 11 years ownership.

I don't know what I just watched!?

But you VW boys are a strange bunch haha 

Although I was doing that kinda stuff with my Dad's Citroen GS-X2 back in 1976, the only difference being I couldn't operate it from our phone.....the cord wasn't long enough :P