'82 Ascona 2.0 S

this looks really really clean, it would need to for £5k but just love that blood red interior against the reserved silver exterior

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191677586884?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Wow only 20k done from new and no welding,this has to be a bit of a nugget, would be interesting to see what the ascona boys make of this,ie stradacab and rapierdave and  co .B)

I know a bit about the history of this car as i spoke to the old guy (84) who owns it.

The car was stored in a dry dark garage up on axle stands from when it was 2 1/2 years old until this summer due to a family dispute over ownership.

It went for its first MOT in July this year & only failed on a perished steering rack gaiter.

Due to the long storage period various parts had to be replaced including the Varijet 2 carb which has been replaced with a Weber & the radiator was also replaced.

The following items still need to be looked at, Fuel gauge does not work, heater matrix temporarily bridged as it leaks.

The tyres although look good are 33 years old so the vendor recommends a trailer to take car as the car has only driven a couple of miles to & from the MOT station.

He wants £5000 for it & will hang on to it if he doesn't get the asking price, the original ebay ad was for £5000 or best offer & i offered £3500 which was declined  & the ad was changed to a classified £5000.

Its an X reg so is a late one

Apparently the car looks as good as the pics suggest.

With a new set of tyres & the various small faults sorted it could well be worth close to what he is asking

Edited by Rapierdave
  • Like 1

I got the vendor to email me the pics so I could blow them up on my computer, The thing that's putting me off paying that money for it is the fact that the tops of the rubber bonnet bungs on the inner wings are covered in overspray, the black mesh on the windscreen panel below the cut outs is silver and the rear window rubber at the bottom has mask lines and silver paint on so in my mind its had a bit of paint, that's no great shakes but when was it done and why, recently to tidy up faded paint? or when it was 2,5 years old? Something this genuine and with this mileage in my mind should still be wearing its original paint.

I was very tempted for a while but not at 5k, would prob go to 4 upon seeing it. But I didn't know about the fuel gauge or heater matrix but had factored in tyres.

Not trying to put anyone off or belittle the car but just my observations on blowing the pics up, but if you use the zoom function on the ebay pics you can see this anyway.

Could be a really nice car with a bit spent on it. And its crying out for a set of ATS wheels and an SR steering wheel.

Could be as nice as my old one that you own Dave.

Edited by chrisb
  • Like 1

Hi Chris

I remember the guy selling told me that there were some minor paint imperfections that he had got "professionally attended to" , that's probably why there is some over spray.

Agree about the SR wheel & ATS classics.

I also agree with your assessment of it's value of £4000 in it's present condition, but where else are you going to find an Ascona " barn find " with this low mileage & essentially unrestored. 

When was the last time you saw a classic car having its first MOT after 33 years.

If it was detailed as good as HDP then it would be worth £5000 +

• Like 1

I would be all over that for £4000 if I was in the market, its clean, neat and tidy and would be easy to get perfect.  Overspray is a shame, its not hard to prevent that sort of thing and make it look like you were never there, I would question the use of the word "professional" in this case, more like a mate who did it for cash !  Its the paint that harms the price, Silver (or any metallic) needs to be laid down well or it looks patchy.

Hi Dave/Paul.

Cheers for clearing that up regarding the paint, I assumed in my own mind that it was prob flat after all the years in storage, like you said Paul its just careless to not prep things properly and these things could have easily been prevented.

Completely agree that there will prob not be another one out there like this but I just feel that for 5k it needs to be all up together with no expenditure, for 4k I would be happy to do the bits that need doing and putting a new quality set of boots on it, heater matrix, fuel gauge etc,

It has got a large appeal for me as I have a real soft spot for late Asconas fitted with that front spoiler, I would happily pay 4k for it and I am in the market but had set my heart on a nice Manta B, but even with a very healthy budget (Considerably larger than 4k before anyone says you cant get a B for that money) nothing is turning up. 

Isnt  it funny that the 3 of us talking about this Ascona have all owned HDP!! 

Edited by chrisb

Hi Chris,  It's nice that HDP is the common bond here, That car was one of the best cars I have ever owned, even then I still did a massive amount to that car to get it to where I was happy with it, all the seats were changed and the whole car was stripped to clean up the underside and suspension, I even stripped the engine and detailed it.  It was one of the easiest restorations I have ever done though because it was all cleaning and not much repair.

This Silver car is "timewarp" no disputing that, if I was up for another I would arrive with Cash and try and leave with it.  Its not £5000 tidy though, £4400 absolute max. and I would feel like I wasn't trying hard enough if I had to pay that.

Let look it another way though, where are you going to find another one....

• Like 1