Gas bonnet struts

GTREA

I was thinking I would like to replace my current 'bent' bonnet Stay with a pair of gas struts

To those that have used them, which one did you use?

Is there a specific Manta one?

If not what length and the 'N' rating were they. (1N = 1kg of weight they can hold apparently)

Cheap local option maybe?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GAS-STRUTS-SUIT-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-VT-VX-VU-VY-VZ-BONNET-BRAND-NEW-PAIR-MONARO-/131361114106?hash=item1e95bb87fa:g:tPQAAOSwofxUdYlf

$_12.JPG

Or universal with right specs?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-Bonnet-Boot-Gas-Struts-x2-with-M6-M8-Ball-Studs-300N-40cm-GAS-008-/111772902657?hash=item1a062f2501:g:edkAAOSwWKtUyOS4

Hi, I used Mk1 Nissan Micra rear hatch ones - sure I found the suggestion on an old thread - if you look at the build photos of my 400R on Retropowers website you can see they have just fitted them. Hope this helps

Cheers

Kenny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny400 said:

Hi, I used Mk1 Nissan Micra rear hatch ones - sure I found the suggestion on an old thread - if you look at the build photos of my 400R on Retropowers website you can see they have just fitted them. Hope this helps

Cheers

Kenny

Is the bonnet on you car steel or fibreglass?

On my steel bonnets I went to the scrap yard and picked a pair from a car with a big tailgate to simulate the weight of the bonnet. Took the M8 ball stud fittings too. Worked great for £5

Depending on where you want the lower fitting ( I used the flat area next to the shock tower between it and the inner wing) you want the closed length of the strut to be the distance between the upper ( standard fitting M8 ball stud into original bonnet bolt to hinge hole) and the lower ball stud mount.

Some people use angle iron between inner wing on the rail and the wing and go with a ball stud at 90 degree to the inner wing so it's the same angle as the top mount. I've done both ways and they both work well.

I fitted the same struts to my 400 FG bonnet I used on my steel one when I put one on the same car, whooooossssshhhhhhhhh:lol: bonnet nearly took my head off! So I used worn out manta tailgate ones . Nice as they say GM on them and worked great.

Be aware that too hard a strut can push the back end of a FG bonnet up. 

Edit, looking at the pictures of the struts you show, one end gives limited deflection and you may need more angle for both ends to operate so I'd use ball studs each end depending on the mounting point of the lower.

Edited by Kevin Abbott
  • Like 2

I have old Manta Hatch struts on my FG bonnet, and had some special made lower attachment brackets made to go on the wing and fitted to the bonnet as Kev has mentioned above.

Hopefully the picture will help with location.

IMAG0251.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent thanks for the responses ;)

Omega ones below look like our Commodore ones...as they should being essentially the same car

$_12.JPG

For $17 delivered might try them first

ps Robah why do you still have a broom handle holding your bonnet up? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So the Commodore bonnet struts arrived, they never came with Ball Studs so I shot down to the shops to pick up some M8 ones for a few dollars.

And as Kevin said replaced the top bonnet mount bolt with an M8 Ball stud

And amazingly just used an existing guard bolt to attach the other end.

Works an absolute treat, and took me all of 2 minutes!

(Excuse dirty / dusty engine bay)
12606709_10153343795578342_1368595916_n.12620583_10153343795688342_890645378_o.j

$_12.JPG

FYI, M8 Ball Studs

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-New-10mm-Steel-Ball-Stud-Bolts-M8-Ball-Ended-Bolt-PA02-/281908557057?hash=item41a30f3501:g:QygAAOSwLzdWQ767

• Like 3