Calipers

tom child

There is not a massive difference in braking performance, if they are both working well.

The problem I have found with the single piston calipers is that if the rubber boots that protect the pair of "sliders" are damaged in any way, the sliding parts will start to corrode and the brakes will gradually reduce in effiency. This is probably more of an issue when the car isn't used for longer periods of time. I have known the sliders to seize up completely, which then makes it necessary to rebuild the whole lot.

Having said that - I have sliders on my B (its a late one) and they have never let me down. Just keep them well serviced and replace any broken seals when you see them.

Parts are still easy enough to find too.

Thank you both just trying to find two calipers as subframe didn't have any hoping to do complete rebuild then have mine as spare have you hear of cheap calipers online got them for £40 each

cheers

Edited by tom child

Hi ya pal. 

I got my early twin potted caliper kits fro BIGGRED.

The seal kits were Quite cheap. 

If you need pistons .They also sell them .But they aint cheap. But at the end of the day The calipers are easy to refurbish yourself. So you save alot of money there.

GOOD LUCK. 

Cheers stuart. 

Just to let you know .there is one other type of caliper fitted but ive only seen them on a couple of late asconas.circa 'w' or 'x' reg.they use the same larger pads as the sliding sleeve gm type,single piston and the same flexi hose connection.only difference is they are a sliding bracket / groove type.similar to carlton 2.2 types.hence dont realy ever seize up .

Funnily enough just like the ones that howie86 was overhauling back end of last year. So thats 2 people who know they exist ! , .i think more people have seen the loch ness monster thou !! 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 16:01, cam.in.head said:

Just to let you know .there is one other type of caliper fitted but ive only seen them on a couple of late asconas.circa 'w' or 'x' reg.they use the same larger pads as the sliding sleeve gm type,single piston and the same flexi hose connection.only difference is they are a sliding bracket / groove type.similar to carlton 2.2 types.hence dont realy ever seize up .

Funnily enough just like the ones that howie86 was overhauling back end of last year. So thats 2 people who know they exist ! , .i think more people have seen the loch ness monster thou !! 

Cam in head - You might be describing the non vented disc version of the 2.2 Carlton ones? I bought a brand new pair once from ebay thinking they were all for vented discs. But they aren't! Simply not deep enough. So these would fit standard manta solid discs i would imagine and look identical to the Carlton ones... because they are! Still got them in the garage somewhere as both my cars use vented discs now.

Roy  

All i know for sure is i have seen them on asconas only circa 1981.if they are or were carlton ones i wouldnt know if anyone had ever fitted them to the car as a replacement years before i got the car but they certainly didnt look new and fitted under the standard 13" wheels. Carltons obviously had the 14" wheels but you could be right. Cheers.

Cheers guys spoke to biggred today only up the road from me ((2 mile if I can help anyone)£130 for pair re con with top paint job lucky my mate got his 1.8s ones off car so doing them and then he will have mine happy days ( will be back to being a member soon kids paying for my birthday march)

Another quick question engine mounts was looking at the rubber ones on eBay £39 was told my cause vibration as for track anyone tried any on road car 

cheers 

• Like 1