Engine

Neil sheppard

Evening All 

I have a manta 2.0l GTE it has not been started for about 10 years. The fuel line was corroded so I have put the fuel pump under the bonnet straight in to the fuel line wired the fuel pump up (that constantly runs when wired up) the engine starts with easy start but the dies each time and won’t continue to run can anyone give me some tips as I’m not great with engines. Kind regards Neil 

Is the fuel pump supplying fuel - and where from?n I assume you have set up a temporary fuel supply.

Two possible issues: moving the pimp to the front will mean it has to suck from the tank rather than push fuel forwards.. Most modern fuel pumps are located at the back.  Are you using fresh fuel?  Fuel goes stale and 10 year old fuel will,certainly be a problem.

Yes I’m pumping new fuel out of a fuel can via a temporary supply straight into the fuel line in the engine bay just to try and get it going as the fuel line under the car is rotten so the fuel is brand new I have a spark from the plugs. Not sure if the injectors might be the problem or anything electrical. ?? 

5 minutes ago, Neil sheppard said:

Yes I’m pumping new fuel out of a fuel can via a temporary supply straight into the fuel line in the engine bay just to try and get it going as the fuel line under the car is rotten so the fuel is brand new I have a spark from the plugs. Not sure if the injectors might be the problem or anything electrical. ?? 

Are you pumping into the fuel rail the right side (not return). 

Are you getting a decent return of fuel back to your tub?

Could be a number of issues firstly as explained above, but also injectors stick, ecu are prone to fail, and injector relay on inner wing are noted for failing. Check the plug on top of the ECU and give it a clean up and a wobble. It works sometimes by just giving it a wobble. Check all the connectors on top of the injectors are pushed on and clean. Also check the main power to injection loom at the starter motor. Theres also an earth wire, bolted to the back of the inlet manifold, make sure it's still connected and clean contact. It's also worth pulling out all the fuses, and cleaning up all the contact, in the fuse panel, and the fuses themselves. I've had bad fuse connections cause all kinds of issues. 

Good point raised by jess. Make sure you have it piped up correct way around. If you are useing a Haynes manual scrap that  as its incorrect in the manual. Feed direct to rail, the return comes from the regulator.back to tank 

2 minutes ago, Jessopia74 said:

Are you pumping into the fuel rail the right side (not return). 

Are you getting a decent return of fuel back to your tub?

Yes got the right side I did not check the return. !! 

3 minutes ago, ANDY ABBOTT said:

Could be a number of issues firstly as explained above, but also injectors stick, ecu are prone to fail, and injector relay on inner wing are noted for failing. Check the plug on top of the ECU and give it a clean up and a wobble. It works sometimes by just giving it a wobble. Check all the connectors on top of the injectors are pushed on and clean. Also check the main power to injection loom at the starter motor. Theres also an earth wire, bolted to the back of the inlet manifold, make sure it's still connected and clean contact. It's also worth pulling out all the fuses, and cleaning up all the contact, in the fuse panel, and the fuses themselves. I've had bad fuse connections cause all kinds of issues. 

3 minutes ago, Neil sheppard said:

Lots of things to check there thanks for The information. 
I will have a look at all of these this week and keep the post updated with my efforts. 
thanks Neil 

Just make sure you have the fuel lines the opposite way around to the Haynes manual as they have it wrong. Good luck with it, and keep us posted 

as above realy. 

make sure fuel is supplied to the aluminium t piece into the fuel rail and the return (excess pressure from the centre leg of the pressure regulator) returns to the tank or in your case the can you are pumping it from.NOT the existing return line.

if it starts with easy start but not otherwise then its half way there !