Propshaft vibration?

Ems

There is a vibration and noise coming from the area around the middle of the gear tunnel when travelling at motorway speeds.

At lower speeds and under acceleration there's no noise or vibration.  The diff had new bearings around 5000 miles ago and I fitted a new torque tube donut, bearing and bushes last year.

I've had a quick look under the car and it looks like the gearbox and diff oil seals have leaked a bit as well, these were also changed last year.

I know the gearbox needs a new input shaft bearing as it's noisy.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing the problem?

Thank you.

i would check the prop as it goes into the gearbox for EXCESSIVE lift.( there will always be some ) automatics tend to have a fair amount but manuals less so.

also check the gearbox mounting whilst youre there but cant see if that would cause a vibration.( maybee if its gone soft ?)

then check that the prop hasnt lost a balance weight. they are usually just a small square of metal welded on.

there have been reports of some centre support rubber donuts going perished but expect a fair amount of lift in that area anyway but none in the actual bearing itself.

i assumed here we are talking about a speed related vibration rather than a noise that vibrates the gearlever that can be made to stop if you hold it ?

Yes it's speed related, the vibration stops when I ease off - and comes back if I accelerate to the same speed again.  

The gearbox mount is the uprated type from edelschmiede, I'll check everything on the weekend.  

It's not the noise from the gear lever, it sounds as if it's somewhere between the handbrake lever and back seats.

On 16/03/2021 at 22:25, cam.in.head said:

a noise that vibrates the gearlever that can be made to stop if you hold it ?

Slight thread hijack but do you have a cure for this? 

Edited by Trooker
Clarification

that could be a resonant vibration between the outer part of the lever and the inner part. on a 4 speed it can also come from the internal release for reverse engagement. 

i had a slight noise on mine and fixed it by getting some thick oil / grease on the lifting pin and as far inside as i could( oil worked better) and also adding some foam inside the rubber bellows too. it wont do any harm to check the actual gearchange bar and pins/ bushes and eliminating as much free movement as possible there. 

also make sure the lever pull spring is fitted ( 4 speed. ) 

• Thanks 1

in that case check the new rubber is still ok and that the bearing feels ok too. 

might be worth removing the prop and making sure it is located correctly in the flange recess. the outer two cups have a thin wire spot welded across to keep the cups from falling off.if this wire is missing the bearings could be sat on the part where the spot weld was causing it to run a little out of true.

no big deal if it is missing but check the location

im not sure if all props have this wire as standard but 4 speed cavs do so i would imagine later cars have it too.

Had a quick check today, only movement is in the donut which is in good condition.  I put a standard one on last time as the heavy duty ones kept on cracking, maybe I should get another heavy duty one.

• 11 months later...
On 16/03/2021 at 21:05, Ems said:

There is a vibration and noise coming from the area around the middle of the gear tunnel when travelling at motorway speeds.

At lower speeds and under acceleration there's no noise or vibration.  The diff had new bearings around 5000 miles ago and I fitted a new torque tube donut, bearing and bushes last year.

I've had a quick look under the car and it looks like the gearbox and diff oil seals have leaked a bit as well, these were also changed last year.

I know the gearbox needs a new input shaft bearing as it's noisy.

Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing the problem?

Thank you.

Good evening, friends. 
I have the same problem as you. 

I had the differential completely repaired, and since then at 120/130kmh a noise gets into the passenger compartment that makes it impossible to drive quietly. 

I took the car up on a lift, and working the differential with a jack underneath to simulate the work site, I could not figure out where the problem was coming from. 

Leaving the car with the differential hanging, at 120kmh the propeller drive shaft vibrates me a lot. 

The rubber donut, the inner bearing is new, the propeller torque is correct, I just need to change the rubber V.... but I'm afraid that something worse is happening here... 

Sincerely

Pedro-127

• 3 weeks later...

I'll update this thread.  I swapped the prop for a spare one as there was play in the bearings.  The vibration has stopped.  

Looks like I'll have to pull it all apart soon as the donut is cracking again!

• Like 3