Elle the baby Elenor.

Bruce Hockley

Greetings and welcome to my thread for my 1972 A series I am calling Elle.

My nephew and fellow car nut mechanic Jon said it looked like a baby Elenor when he first saw it and so the name Elle was born.

Elle is a South African import and will be my toy/fun car whilst I build my dream version of a Manta in my other 1972 car.

Why 72's? It's my year of birth so why not!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 7

Well I have ordered some bits for the car and some have just arrived. 

The key ring was cool so had to have it.

I also received new steering rack gaiters and a more modern fuse box as Elle's one is very rusty and uses those terrible fuses.

I hope no one gets upset by me not using OE parts but I want this car practical and reliable so will update things when I can rather than use old parts.

The car cover and owners manual arrived a few days ago and the dogs got there first. 😥 Thanks for ignoring the "Do not use" on my letterbox Mr Amazon Driver. (There is a big obvious letterbox bolted to the wall next to the front door!) It was replaced free next day I'm glad to say. 😀

Bits yet to arrive include a full carpet set, Koni shocks all round and number plate lights as they were missing from both cars when I got them.🤔

Hoping to get some work done this weekend, weather permitting. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Nice looking A.

I did think about going for big dodge challenger style strips on mine but ended up deciding to go back to standard looking.

Nothing wrong with not sticking as totally standard. I like the standard from the outsider look (apart from the wheels) and then upgraded internals 🙂

What's the dream version of a Manta??

Andy 

49 minutes ago, Bruce Hockley said:

Andy, You will see it emerge in my other thread (Feniks) Looking at LS3 with 5 speed and maybe some modern touches.

Rather you that me! That's a lot of engine and box to squeeze in an A!!

I will keep an eye on your thread as it will be interesting to see how you go about it 🙂

Andy

Just gone to change the steering rack gaiters and found the track rod end boot gone and inside looks like plastic liner is breaking up. Are the rod ends available anywhere in UK as only place I can find on ebay etc is German and he wants £110 each!

Also, upper joint rubber has gone.

Are the upper balljoints the same as Manta B as can't find a listing for the A?

On the plus side the underside looks totally solid so that's a massive Brucey bonus!😄

Did a bit more work this morning. 

Fitted new universal steering rack gaiters and track rod end boots.

I also changed the top balljoint boot but it's a bit small so going to buy a slightly bigger one. 

To gain access to the rack and repair its damage I removed the front under tray panel. It is pretty bashed up but I will do my best on it.

• Like 3

Back out to the garage today after a disappointing delivery of parts midweek. The new black carpet set I ordered turned out to be blue. 😭😭

Seems like a combination of my colour blindness and small pics on my phone led me to order the wrong one. They won't take it back as were made to order.😥

On the plus side great leaps and bounds were made towards MOT by the replacement of the original fuse box by a standard halfords 6 way version. Not finalised yet as some of the wires are a bit tight and one still blows the fuse as soon as it gets power.

It did however make side lights, indicators, dipped beam and the wipers work. I had to add a standard relay into the empty holder next to the fuse box to get main beam to light up and add my temporary led number plate lights to get them to work.

The heater motor was another easy fix after checking its power was good, I took off the cover to find it was lightly seized. A quick spray and a nudge in the right direction and off it went.

So, apart from one reverse light not working (not checked bulb yet) and a couple of dirty earth's the only things not working are the fog lights and I'm not actually sure how to turn them on!

• Like 1

Now I have added the good bits it's time for the not good bits and questions. 

What is the white relay socket next to the washer bottle for? Is it horn?

Talking of the washer bottle, unfortunately the pump was seized solid and broke while I was trying to free it up.😥

Next question,  what is the black connector for? It's a weird shape.

I went to swap out the steering column for a spare but it turns out that neither work properly as there are no bottom bushes. What I thought was the good one just had a rubber bush jammed into the bottom of the column to stop it rattling but it also made turning pretty hard.

This has now added a washer pump and bushes to my shopping list.

I also need new window glass guides as they are missing so windows don't go up straight and new seals as they are all damaged or perished. This may not be too big of a hit to the wallet though after finding www.eastkenttrimsupplies.com have pretty much everything I need in stock.😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Hockley said:

Now I have added the good bits it's time for the not good bits and questions. 

What is the white relay socket next to the washer bottle for? Is it horn?

Talking of the washer bottle, unfortunately the pump was seized solid and broke while I was trying to free it up.😥

Next question,  what is the black connector for? It's a weird shape.

I went to swap out the steering column for a spare but it turns out that neither work properly as there are no bottom bushes. What I thought was the good one just had a rubber bush jammed into the bottom of the column to stop it rattling but it also made turning pretty hard.

This has now added a washer pump and bushes to my shopping list.

I also need new window glass guides as they are missing so windows don't go up straight and new seals as they are all damaged or perished. This may not be too big of a hit to the wallet though after finding www.eastkenttrimsupplies.com have pretty much everything I need in stock.😁

The white one looks like the wiper motor. and the black one in the footwell is either the rear heater or fog light. You will see them to the left and right of the dials on the dash. Left is rear window heater and righ tfog light or they are sometimes blanked off if not used.

This also might help you out!!

https://www.theopelproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Opel-Manta-A-Series-Wiring-Diagram.pdf

Also washer pump does not look like original Opel one?

Andy

Thanks Andy, From the diagram it looks like the white plug is the fog light relay as the wiper motor has a similar one already plugged in and working.

The washer pump is Opel but no idea of originality as there are other obvious changes to the car in a "Just keep it going" way.

The slots in the dash were open when i got the car but i did find a blank in the centre console so will look again closer for the fog light switch behind the dash.

I have a Haynes manual coming from EBay and a parts fiche ordered through the club. Patiently waiting as been 3 weeks but understand with covid etc.

2 hours ago, Bruce Hockley said:

Thanks Andy, From the diagram it looks like the white plug is the fog light relay as the wiper motor has a similar one already plugged in and working.

The washer pump is Opel but no idea of originality as there are other obvious changes to the car in a "Just keep it going" way.

The slots in the dash were open when i got the car but i did find a blank in the centre console so will look again closer for the fog light switch behind the dash.

I have a Haynes manual coming from EBay and a parts fiche ordered through the club. Patiently waiting as been 3 weeks but understand with covid etc.

That is the back of the fog light switch and pushes in from behind the cluster with the front fitting in "from the front!" If you don't have a front i might have one in my box of bits in the loft.

I dont have a fog light so only have the wiper one on mine 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

Next job to be done on Elle was to fit the new Koni shocks.

Got to have been the easiest job I have ever done on an old car.

All nuts and bolts undid with minimal effort except one which rounded the nut but the cordless angle grinder soon removed it with enough thread left to fit another nut.

New vs Old.

Front done.

Quick comparison. Bounce with left rear standard shock.

And bounce with new Koni installed.

Final pic of rears fitted.

Just the steering column bearings to sort out now and it will be ready for its MOT so I can get it registered and start driving this beauty.😀

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Its amazing what a little OMOC breakfast meet will do to motivate me. :)

Very small update but leading to bigger things, reconditioned the collapsible steering shaft as it had been shortened by impact at some point in it's life. It was very hard to separate the two halves and would never have collapsed in an accident.

Managed to save the plastic inserts after drilling out the remains of the steel split pins that were stuck in the shaft. Cleaned it all up and refitted the two parts of the shaft. I have ordered a length of plastic dowel to fit through the shaft so it may actually work if needed. The two pieces of shaft actually slide with minimal effort now.

Last but not least, ram an m14 die nut down the threads to clean them up after I dropped the shaft and mullered the end a little.

All that's left is to secure the lower bearing I have to fit to the column and I can call the steering done! :)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well bugger!

Went to put it all back in the car. Bottom end lovely, now the top bearing has collapsed! Why couldn't it have happened weeks ago then I could have just got a new one. Now steering is on hold again.

Oh well, at least I still have wiring faults to fix to keep me busy on this sunny day.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Hockley said:

Well bugger!

Went to put it all back in the car. Bottom end lovely, now the top bearing has collapsed! Why couldn't it have happened weeks ago then I could have just got a new one. Now steering is on hold again.

Oh well, at least I still have wiring faults to fix to keep me busy on this sunny day.

Sod’s law. 🙈

So wiring went quite well.

Wired in battery cut off using all new wire and new positive battery terminal.

Replaced main earth lead to engine and new negative battery terminal.

Added additional earth lead from battery to chassis.

As the standard ignition switch disintegrated and the horn part of the standard stalk is knackered, I have made some modifications.

Wired in new ignition switch and push button start.

Replaced entire starter solenoid cable with new wire and relay to ensure good starting as was a bit hit and miss before as wire was old and crusty.

Wired in new push switch for horn. Just got to drill a hole in the dash to mount it as didn't have one big enough in home garage.

Switch panel is just sat in the ashtray hole at the moment but will be made to fit. It just needs a little bit scalping out at the front or as only using 2 of the switches at moment it actually fits. I am going to paint the plate black and just have labels on the switches for ignition and fogs.

So only wiring jobs left to do are replace and test washer pump with a modified mx5 one and wire in fogs as their current wiring is shorted somewhere. Would have finished it today but was getting dark and cold so will leave it for another day! 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of bits done. 

Cleaned up the floor.

loosely fitted the new carpet set as not going to glue it down until i buy and fit the sound deadening and maybe underlay.

After that rear seats and mats went in. Haven't fitted the fronts yet as want the carpet to relax into position before cutting the holes for the seat fixings and seatbelts.

Talking of seatbelts, the almost 50 year old belts were a little dirty to say the least so i jet washed them!

Heck of a difference. Just hope they dry more red than they were before.

Last thing I did was fit new mirror glasses to the bullet style door mirrors. I had to use some slit open Silicon hose as a border to hold them in place.

Once front seats are in and maybe a carb rebuild, depending on if I can get it to lean up a little, it's MOT time!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well after pulling off the brake calipers last weekend and finding them seized I set about trying to remove the pistons. No joy as one snapped when I had to use the puller on it and rest were so rotten they were scrap.

I went and bought these.

Brake pipe is in slightly different place but checked and it will work with new hard lines making which is fine as I have all the kit to do it.

Steve Hancock has sold me his spare brand new master so that will be going on as well when it all arrives.

To try and keep the old girl running well and cleaner I splurged on a full Accuspark system to replace the entire ignition system.

Also bought carb rebuild kit, inlet/exhaust gasket and downpipe gaskets as all were shite to be honest. 

Manifolds that came off were mining with a broken bolt at downpipe. 

I gave the one off my other engine a quick clean up as it will be going back on.

So back to waiting on parts and trying to work out where/if i have a ballast resistor in the coil circuit.

• Like 1