Large Radiator for Manta B fitted with 4.6 Litre Rover V8

Jonathan Pounsett

1 hour ago, Trooker said:

No personal experience but bookmarked this company ages ago 

https://www.coolexperts.co.uk/motor-vehicles/

Thanks @Trooker. I’m hoping to get something off the shelf but if I have to go down the bespoke route this will be very useful. 

13 minutes ago, H-400 said:

I took one of my original radiators to a shop that repairs them, asked to fit a thicker core with more cooling ribs. Was no problem, costed me 180€.

The company @Trooker linked above can do that too. They will take a classic car radiator and replace the core with a modern more efficient one but retain the appearance of the original. It looks like you can specify your own requirements, including race applications.

just out of curiosity.is your car a 1.6 or 2 litre.

the 2 litre had the larger radiator ( compared to the smaller one fitted to 1.6) and never had any cooling issues .

with an early fixed fan especially but later models with a temp controlled viscous fan can fail causing overheating issues in slow or stationary traffic.

( only applicable to later mantas realy unless you have a viscous water pump / fan assembly fitted to an earlier car)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

just out of curiosity.is your car a 1.6 or 2 litre.

the 2 litre had the larger radiator ( compared to the smaller one fitted to 1.6) and never had any cooling issues .

with an early fixed fan especially but later models with a temp controlled viscous fan can fail causing overheating issues in slow or stationary traffic.

( only applicable to later mantas realy unless you have a viscous water pump / fan assembly fitted to an earlier car)

I’ve got the 4.6 litre (Rover V8). I’m sorry - I know some of you will find that deeply offensive.

I’ve amended the title to make reference to the engine swap.

• Jonathan Pounsett changed the title to Large Radiator for Manta B fitted with 4.6 Litre Rover V8

I used a Senator radiator in the rally car, but you have to cut the “wings” off that hold the standard radiator in place  and mount it directly on the back of the front panel. I also had to fabricate a simple bracket for the bottom mount, and use electric fans as it’s a long way from the engine. All good for a competition car, but maybe not a road car.

Once you cut the radiator “wings” out there is a lot of space, so you have a lot of choice, but obviously you’ve made a permanent change to the bodyshell. Not sure if you would want to go that far.

Edited by Moonmonkey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jonathan I had another look & found the manta page

https://www.coolexperts.co.uk/product/opel-manta-ascona-rekord-voyage-55mm-aluminium-radiator/

would have thought with the 70mm + temp & proper kenlowe fan option you’d have decent cooling but there’s not an immediate indication of additional cost for the deep one

@H-400 would the 70mm modification here be similar to yours?

• Thanks 1

Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/

I just measured the space i had and bought the biggest universal one i could get with the outlets in the right place. Griffin do loads of universal fit ones and im sure there are lots of other makers on their site that do them. Quite a good price if they are off the shelf.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1