Bought first Manta

most of the 'std' springs i have fitted over the years do seem a bit high when first installed but usually settle a bit anyway.

however if you look at some early manta / cav brochures they can sit quite high anyway .this obviously doesnt look bad to some people and will look bad to others.cars generaly seemed to sit higher back then and usualy if you bought a good used car that did you could get thefavourable comment of 'that sits well' or 'stands up well / proud' .

if you prefer the lower look then just be sure that at full suspension travel the springs wont fall out !.otherwise you are good to go butjust be carefull over the speedbumps !

Don't think there was many speed bumps about in the 80s, good job, as the bounce on standard setup would probably spatter you up against the inside of the windscreen.

Think the works 400 axle was later chained to stop drop axle.  Or was that when the volvo axle was fitted. 

As for speed bumps, they must be breeding, they appear everywhere now, and for no good reason. They where fitted close to a race circuit recently! As its a first gear job between, it's even more disturbing for residents, 1000 plus cars, Sunday morning, on full chat,  in first gear between each bump is highly annoying. For both residents and drivers?  Wish some thought about their actions.

Reminds me of a resident complaining about a stage rally on closed public roads.  The stage start was moved to outside their driveway,  wrc toyota corolla on launch control,  what a noise :)

Lowest part of a manta will be the box forward of the rear axle.

I now have minus 40 mm springs on,looks good and not too low,just slightly lower than when I bought it.A friend got me the wrong ? Springs from the tyre place where he works via a factor and they said they are standard and will not refund me,but then they said that there is only one type available from their supplier so I rang the factor area manger who said he will investigate this as everyone who asks for standard ride height springs is being sold ones that are massively high and that as they are not fit for purpose I will get a refund of 156 for the springs,fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I now have minus 40 mm springs on,looks good and not too low,just slightly lower than when I bought it.A friend got me the wrong ? Springs from the tyre place where he works via a factor and they said they are standard and will not refund me,but then they said that there is only one type available from their supplier so I rang the factor area manger who said he will investigate this as everyone who asks for standard ride height springs is being sold ones that are massively high and that as they are not fit for purpose I will get a refund of 156 for the springs,fingers crossed.

Called in to the motor factor this morning and got my 156 pounds back,springs are being treated as a warranty claim and supplier being told they are no good for a Manta.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Malcolm Cliff said:

Called in to the motor factor this morning and got my 156 pounds back,springs are being treated as a warranty claim and supplier being told they are no good for a Manta.

That’s at least a resolution to it 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2022 at 11:05, Jessopia74 said:

Welcome 👍

Get the club joined, even as web member is worth while as there is a lot of content, old and new that you will not see if you don’t. Think it’s £20 but we’ll worth it.

for parts, get a WANTED thread started on what you need. There a couple of guys on here that have a lot of parts from broken up cars that should be able to help.

I am having trouble with clips/hinges for the rear windows on my coupe,they are supposed to be glued to the glass,any alternatives or which glue is best ? it would help if the clips actually held the glass in place but as they are single sided they are useless.I also have a problem with the alternator I fitted as it is about a quarter of an inch too far forward,is there any adjustment on the engine mounted bracket at all ?

1 hour ago, Malcolm Cliff said:

I am having trouble with clips/hinges for the rear windows on my coupe,they are supposed to be glued to the glass,any alternatives or which glue is best ? it would help if the clips actually held the glass in place but as they are single sided they are useless.I also have a problem with the alternator I fitted as it is about a quarter of an inch too far forward,is there any adjustment on the engine mounted bracket at all ?

I used this;

D35F6C7D-1483-4289-85AD-A1CC3C82DF86.thumb.png.469f76dc4bc22bdd8038e635644926dd.png

• Like 1

There used to also be a kit that was both hinges as 1piece and a long bar that can be bonded to the glass. In past I have used the UV activated glass (Loctite, but bostik do a great one too) glue, but all glues do suffer in the longer term with the weather changes. If using the UV glue, you need a sunny day with clear sky around mid afternoon is strongest UV. Never used the light myself, but you can buy now as cheap enough if you prefer. 

If you really don’t want to mess and make someone else responsible, the your local auto glass should do it for you and then if it fails to bond it’s on them to redo it. My friend did this several times before the local Autoglass clocked on and then refused to do it for him 😂 ( different car, but same thing if metal onto windscreen) 

• Like 1

I got some Tiger seal from a friend and it had not been opoened,it was off,rock hard so I had bought some Gorilla superglue last week which has two tubes,stuck straight away so I had both windows on a workbench for a couple of hours then put them on the back seat as I had to put the Manta in the garage,this morning I checked and all seemed ok so I fitted the windows,Seem ok so far. My alternator belt is not running true on the new alternator so I removed it plus the alloy bracket which I put  in the vice and using a round file I elongated the holes to enable the bracket to be moved back a bit,seems a lot better.I had to fit a battery on Saturday as I was driving to Otterburn for a big stage rally where I was servicing for a friend with a Mini.I covered  nearly 80 miles and the car went really well,I popped down to a local fabricator this morning  who made me some spotlamp brackets while I waited.Been busy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malcolm Cliff said:

I got some Tiger seal from a friend and it had not been opoened,it was off,rock hard so I had bought some Gorilla superglue last week which has two tubes,stuck straight away so I had both windows on a workbench for a couple of hours then put them on the back seat as I had to put the Manta in the garage,this morning I checked and all seemed ok so I fitted the windows,Seem ok so far. My alternator belt is not running true on the new alternator so I removed it plus the alloy bracket which I put  in the vice and using a round file I elongated the holes to enable the bracket to be moved back a bit,seems a lot better.I had to fit a battery on Saturday as I was driving to Otterburn for a big stage rally where I was servicing for a friend with a Mini.I covered  nearly 80 miles and the car went really well,I popped down to a local fabricator this morning  who made me some spotlamp brackets while I waited.Been busy.

Superglue will last a while, you will just need to keep redoing it. Tiger seal woukd not gave worked. 
 Getting it out and about already, awesome 👍😎

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202280716874?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=PpEWDwv3QHG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=EzFkRTiTQ2G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Reprotec do new replacement rear quarter glass hinges and new rubber’s,

these usually come in at roughly £28 - £30 don’t know what’s happening to the price in the add though?

I have bought and fitted a set about 3 years ago and they work well.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Also helps to roughen glass, underneath hinge part only, helps adhere. 

Also most glues, need a few days.

Outa interest, are the dash vents closed when the hinge let's go, is it the air pressure pushing them, think the tigra automatically puts the passengers window down when closing rear hatch, 

Don't know, dash vents are always open on mine, hinges are fine.