Rolling Road - what to ask for

Jonathan Pounsett

My Manta is currently running on a base map and needs a proper set up on a dyno. (Emerald ECU)

I’ve never done this before and need to know what are the essential things to ask for and other desirable things that are worth considering if I can afford it. I assume you pay for the knowledge of the guys and the time you’re actually on the rolling road. 

Edited by Jonathan Pounsett
Changed your to you’re
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Manta hatch said:

Best chap I have found is Andrew at ap race engines very reasonable costs and good with most ecus what he don’t know ain’t worth knowing well worth the travel tried numerous places over the years Andrew is a cut above the rest 

I hear what you’re saying @Manta hatchbut I was already worried about my 20 minute drive to Portsmouth - AP Race Engines sounds the bussiness but they’re just too far away. 

5 hours ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I hear what you’re saying @Manta hatchbut I was already worried about my 20 minute drive to Portsmouth - AP Race Engines sounds the bussiness but they’re just too far away. 

If you are worried about the drive to Portsmouth then you won't love it when they pop it on the rollers!!

Make sure the car is as prepared as it can be as there time is expensive and they will give it some welly! so you don't want it breaking down while its there!

Can you not trailer it there? I hired one of those drive on recovery things and took mine up to Northampton (from Bournemouth) as it was not run in with the new cam. It might seem like an expense, but the cost of tuning is way more expensive! I had issues with my ECU (old Webcon Alpha) and they had to swap it out for an Omex one, so that added an hour and a half to the cost!

Why are you worried about the drive? because its not setup properly?

Andy

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 611 said:

If you are worried about the drive to Portsmouth then you won't love it when they pop it on the rollers!!

Make sure the car is as prepared as it can be as there time is expensive and they will give it some welly! so you don't want it breaking down while its there!

Can you not trailer it there? I hired one of those drive on recovery things and took mine up to Northampton (from Bournemouth) as it was not run in with the new cam. It might seem like an expense, but the cost of tuning is way more expensive! I had issues with my ECU (old Webcon Alpha) and they had to swap it out for an Omex one, so that added an hour and a half to the cost!

Why are you worried about the drive? because its not setup properly?

Andy

I assumed the base map was to enable you to start up and run the car and not much else. If I’m wrong about that please let me know. Ideally I’d like to make sure it drives around okay and nothing falls off, gets caught, melted or is so badly out of balance the whole trip becomes an expensive waste of time. If it’s okay to drive on the base map I’ll put some miles on over the next couple of weeks and give her a few good shakedown runs to settle everything in.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Pounsett said:

I assumed the base map was to enable you to start up and run the car and not much else. If I’m wrong about that please let me know. Ideally I’d like to make sure it drives around okay and nothing falls off, gets caught, melted or is so badly out of balance the whole trip becomes an expensive waste of time. If it’s okay to drive on the base map I’ll put some miles on over the next couple of weeks and give her a few good shakedown runs to settle everything in.  

It really depends what the base map is like and what its based on? Is it a base map for an Opel?

When i took mine up and they had to put the Omex on they loaded a base map from a 2.0l Ford and it fired up and ran ok and ran the cam in. Then they tweaked it so it ran properly for my setup. I was supposed to go back from the full power run but to be honest its so good i haven't felt the need to go back. Im sure they could squeeze more power out of it but it has good power and not bad fuel consumption.

If the base map is not specific to the Opel or your engine size them main issues could be under fuelled, so it might not run as best and might be lacking in power, over fuelled and it would be running rich and you probably wont wont to do too many miles like that.

Who loaded the base map?

Could be worth calling Manta hatch's recommendation and asking what they think? I had a good chat with Northampton Motorsport before i took mine up to them. They were super helpful.

Can you hook a laptop up and let someone remote connect to it? As that's what they did to mine as i had to go back and fit the new ECU and wiring and when i was all ready to fire it up the connected up and tweaked a couple of setting remotely. They might be able to do an initial setup so its good enough to drive etc.. and as you say give it a shakedown.

Also make sure the battery, cooling etc.. are all working fine when you do take as you don't want any problem when your are there, they don't stop the clock if you have to sort something out 🙂

Cost me a fair bit to get mine sorted with he ECU issues but worth it in the end. He did tell me before i came i should chuck the ECU i had, and he was right!!

Andy

Edited by 611
  • Like 1