Cavalier centaur

Joe_goro

After no update for a while now I can say that we have had many days working on the car and we have had some excellent progress! 

first of all we have dropped the rear axle out and are part way through refurbing it. As you will see from the pics the diff was covered in oil and had lots of surface rust but hope you will agree that it is starting to look great!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Next up is welding 😅. Now I have spent 2 days so far on it but I’m really pleased with how it has come out so far. Lots of patches cut and ground and then cut again to fit but it’s going well lol. 

Before:

after:

I think that’s it for the moment but I’m sure I’ve missed something out lol. Any feedback is much appreciated 

Edited by Joe_goro
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Barrett said:

Looking great young man. 
axle looking nice and tidy now. Being covered in oils isn’t a bad think as it keeps the rust t bay but just looks a mess lol.

your fabrication work looks tidy, get it etch/zinc primered and crack on lad. 

Cheers Paul for the kind words. 

Yeh i definitely agree that the oil on the axle has definitely kept it from being really rusty which is great news however I'm going to have to do some work on the cups where the springs sit as they are a little bit worse for wear atm, nothing a bit of metal and a welder cant fix though haha.

I was originally going to use rust converter followed by red oxide primer then use waxoyl underseal to finish, but would you say etch primer is a better solution than the rust converter and red oxide? 

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, seanpren said:

Looks great, very tidy repair work there. Keep it up, every bit done is a bit closer to the finish line 😀 

Thanks! This Is my first time I’ve tried welding and fabricating on a car as my only prior knowledge is an odd bit of welding on an RSJ at work. But I’m so pleased with how it came out and like you say every step means that the car is closer to being done! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe_goro said:

Cheers Paul for the kind words. 

Yeh i definitely agree that the oil on the axle has definitely kept it from being really rusty which is great news however I'm going to have to do some work on the cups where the springs sit as they are a little bit worse for wear atm, nothing a bit of metal and a welder cant fix though haha.

I was originally going to use rust converter followed by red oxide primer then use waxoyl underseal to finish, but would you say etch primer is a better solution than the rust converter and red oxide? 

Thanks again!

I have two unused new spring cups from our German friends if u are interested pm me, don’t want a lot for them just taking up space!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

WOW! It’s been over a month since I last updated my thread. Well, a lot has happend! 
1st of all I have now finished the passenger side wheel arch.

2nd I have also near enough finished the metal work on the passenger side wheel arch. 

Then the big job as of recent, strip the interior to see how bad the floor is. The interior came up well and is now stored in a dry place. However the floor is.. well not so good 😂. The pictures don’t show it well but the floor has had a few of the patches I have become accustomed to with this thing lol, so these have to be removed and redone as they were so poorly repaired in the past. This also revealed to me how bad the rear arches are…

So I set to work on the passenger side floor. I cut out all of the old patches which revealed even more issues which didn’t surprise me at this point 😂.

So I have since remade the front jacking point and beam. I also noticed when I cut out the repair in the sill that the actual sill was bad so I had to cut out the rest of it to have a look and repair. I also noticed that the end of the beam which runs under the seat was not even connected anymore so I had to remake that. I didn’t bother grinding down the welds too much as they didn’t need to look pretty so I painted over them so excuse the ugly look of it haha.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Has been a while since the last update such is life haha. I am going to try and put in as much as I can remember in the correct order 😂

first up was to finish the passenger side floor, so I set to work on making the big missing piece of floor. Which was a right faff to make but came out pretty well. I then cut out and welded in a new patch for where the seat mounts to the floor. 

I then slapped on some rust prevention and red oxide just to protect the flood for the moment as I need to do some welding on the underside. 

I then set out on doing the same process on the driver side. However this time I had no choice but to remake and replace the entire ‘floor sill’ (idk what it’s called 😂) as the old one was so rotten. I won’t bore you with more writing so onto the pictures…

next thing/s I have to do is grind the welds and make everything look presentable, slap some paint on it as again I need to do some work on the underside. Once that work is complete I will revisit the floor and make it look pretty 😂. I am so glad that the floor is back together and I can finally start working on something else as I was getting bored of just doing the floor. 

I have recently started working on a few of the interior parts at home as I can do this away from the car. I don’t have any pics of that thought. Hopefully the next update will be less of a wait next time lol. 

• Like 5

On 28/11/2023 at 21:51, 1200bandit said:

When l done my welding,l put a light inside the manta turn off the garage light.so l could see the light coming through the very small holes,sealed it up rechecked all good ,so l know the no water leaks into the foot well

Ah! now thats an idea!, ill have to do that before i finish up. cheers for the advice mate. 😁

i usually seal welds with jb weld brushed over the welded seam ,then wired back off if needed for levelling .both sides if possible. 

this is the most important part of finishing repairs.making them totallly sealed and protected on bothsides if humanly possible

AND ALSO  in reply to 1200 bandit above cos i cant seem to reply on your other post .  the exhaust gasket looks like carlton mk1/2 to me .2 litre or 2.2. models.

Edited by cam.in.head
  • Like 2

On 30/11/2023 at 21:37, 1200bandit said:

No one will get the welding 100% sealed.

On the inner wings,inside the front have used anit rust paint,under seal,Monaco Blue paint.finished off with lacquer,( 4 layers)

Should keep the tin worm away for a few years 

ah yess, i have used rust preventer, red oxide (2 coats) waxoyl and stone chip paint so that should hopefully do the job for a good while.

On 01/12/2023 at 17:08, cam.in.head said:

i usually seal welds with jb weld brushed over the welded seam ,then wired back off if needed for levelling .both sides if possible. 

this is the most important part of finishing repairs.making them totallly sealed and protected on bothsides if humanly possible

AND ALSO  in reply to 1200 bandit above cos i cant seem to reply on your other post .  the exhaust gasket looks like carlton mk1/2 to me .2 litre or 2.2. models.

Right ill have to try that, sounds like good stuff. thanks for the pointers